Menu

Kidney infection... ouch...

I have a pretty bad kidney infection... I suspected it last week-- then Monday I started having UTI symptoms too. I currently do not have a fever, but I am a bit queezy--I finally got in to the Dr yesterday (Wednesday)... my test was instantly positive...

Anyways... besides drinking cranberry and blueberry juice, avoiding sugar and carbs, what else can I do???

Dr said if I have not responded (decreased pain) by Friday afternoon he may send me to the hospital!!!

I have not had a UTI in over 20 years-- this is my FIRST kidney infection.

Words of wisdom?

I am so sorry. Use no soap anywhere near the area. Drink plenty of water and hopefully the med will work . However as a fallback med if the first does not work they could try Levaquin or one of the other quinolone antibiotics. I have been there , done that ... I eventually had to use a medication for about six months called prosed. Best wishes for a pain free evening and total healing.

My mom had problems for years with recurrent kidney infections. They were greatly reduced when she began taking cranberry extract and probiotic pills daily.

Also, Dr. Kayla Daniels recommends using a rinse of kefir after you bathe to try to get good bacteria in your urinary tract from the other end. =) I don't know anyone who has tried this.

Beware the overuse of medicines that treat the discomfort of UTI's and kidney infections. The pain is there to let you know you have a serious problem. Permanent kidney damage is a real possibility if you don't treat these things.

I hope you feel better soon,

Sandra

Ugh, Jann. That sounds so painful. We have Cystex (mentioned before) for pain and it seems to work. I use it for the kids with lots of water at the first hint of discomfort and it seems to nip it in the bud (for a common UTI).

But I don't think that Cystex would get rid of the infection -- I hope the Dr. has you on antibiotics. Also beware of side effects from the antibiotics - have some yogurt also to prevent diarrhea. I always seem to forget and then get hit with the double whammy.

I'll pray for you to get some relief soon and have a quick recovery. :grouphug:

Dana

for uti's i use cranberry pills and acidophillus pills right away, a lot of liquid (like when i'm trying to flush a kidney stone... 3 litres or so a day). if it makes it to the kidney, i add in antibiotics and yet more acidophilus... its just no fun, and potentially quite serious.

good luck!

ann