Menu

School shooting 10-12 miles from my house!

The reason that the school didn't call the parents (I didn't read the article so I have no idea what was said) is because they didn't have time to call each and every parent. Just wondering how you would expect them to call every family in a timely manner. It sucks, but I just don't think they could physically do it.

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-shooting-at-school-injures-one-20110202,0,287476.story

Nothing like this has ever happened in our area, that I know of. But boy am I glad that my kids aren't going to be put in situations like that! The school didn't even call the parents about it?!?!

Everything I have read says that the school is being praised for handling it well. They locked down and secured the kiddos, then moved them to a fairground for parents to pick them up.

I hate things like this. Dh disciplines and even fires employees everyday, and it scares me. So far the worst we've had is a series of mailbox smashings after one woman was fired.

The reason that the school didn't call the parents (I didn't read the article so I have no idea what was said) is because they didn't have time to call each and every parent. Just wondering how you would expect them to call every family in a timely manner. It sucks, but I just don't think they could physically do it.

Not with an actual person on the end of the school. Many school have the ability to call the parents via computer with a quick message such as "today is a snow day" or "school is closing today at noon, please make alternate arrangements" or something.

Nowadays they can. Our school has a computer "one call" system. The superintendent or principal can record a message and send it out to every parent in the district or particular school (if it is just the elementary, for example) all in a matter of seconds. They do it for snow days, early dismissals, to remind parents of an important event, etc. You can enter 2 phone numbers for this(I used our home and my cell).

I was just woken up this morning by the one delaying school today for an hour. ;)

I haven't read about this situation, and not sure if it would have been appropriate to call, or even what they would say...but just wanted to mention that schools do not have to call each and every parent.

Our school has a system that calls every registered home, workplace, and cell phone, and sends an e-mail. It works extremely well. Almost always the principal records the message. Perhaps the school mentioned in the article didn't send a message due to the chaos in the principal's office at that time.

Our school has a system that calls every registered home, workplace, and cell phone, and sends an e-mail. It works extremely well. Almost always the principal records the message. Perhaps the school mentioned in the article didn't send a message due to the chaos in the principal's office at that time.

Yep. I'm thinking at dh's school that if they didn't have access to the office, and the principal was gone, it would be a scramble to get the phone system activated.

Or maybe they were busy securing the school and keeping the kiddos safe. :001_smile: