Menu

What's on your 1st grade read-aloud list?

Sunshine Mama

I'm looking to add to my reading list for the fall. Here is what I have so far.....could you please let me know if you think any of my choices are not appropriate for a 1st grader. We tried to read Little House in the Big Woods last fall and never made it past the first chapter because my ds (then 5) struggled with comprehension. He's a smart kid, reading at a 2-3rd grade level but is such a perfectionist that he finds it hard to accept that he might not understand EVERYTHING. I'd like to re-try it again this coming fall. So please critique my list and add your favorites! Thanks.

Little House in the Big Woods

Stuart Little

Mr Popper's Penguins

The Original Winnie the Pooh books

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

Wizard of Oz

Billy and Blaze

Thornton Burgess animal stories

Grandma's Attic books

Just So Stories

My Father's Dragon

Beatrix Potter Series

Homer Price

Henry Huggins

The Littles

Encylcopedia Brown

Nate the Great

Aesop for Children

Blue Fairy Book (Andrew Lang)

Detectives in Togas

Red Fairy Book

I personally strongly prefer Trumpet of the Swan (and Charlotte, of course!) over Stuart Little.

My son also did not get enthusiastic about Little House, until I found the audiobooks at our library. Somehow, car listening, where there is not choice in the matter (LOL) worked better. After the first book, he and my fifth grader were totally captivated and we are RA through the entire series. Being boys they especially like Farmer Boy, but really, they liked them all.

I wonder if a first grader can fully appreciate Henry Huggins and Homer Price. I adore these, but the characters are a bit older, and they are bothered by pesky younger Ramona, etc. Just a thought.

Re: Andrew Lang books-yes, they can be scary, but my 6 yo has loved them. He told me he wishes someone had thought of putting all of them together into one huge Rainbow Fairy Book (as it turns out, I think someone has!). He's not a particularly sensitive child though.

Aesop is a biggie here too. We've read many versions .

Another thought-William Steig books. My own personal fave is Brave Irene, but there are many and they are all wonderful in their own way, IMO. Sylvester and the Magic Pebble. Many have subtle moral lessons. Dominic, a chapter book, is huge with my boys. We've read it many times.

Finally, we are working on Fifty Famous Stories Retold, by James Baldwin. Short stories, many with a historical connection, many from ancient history. I edit on the fly occasionally, but they are a bit of "cultural literacy".

Here is my 6 year old's review of your list :grouphug: {- she likes that smile, LOL

LOVED

The Littles

Stuart Little

Mr Popper's Penguins

My Father's Dragon

Henry Huggins

Grandma's Attic books

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

Billy and Blaze

Nate the Great

Just So Stories

Aesop for Children

SORT OF

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

Thornton Burgess animal stories - but did like the bird stories

Wizard of Oz - stopped reading - too scary

The Original Winnie the Pooh books - though my 5 year old loves them

DID NOT READ (usually for scary content)

Blue Fairy Book (Andrew Lang)

Detectives in Togas (will do with TOG 1 next year)

Red Fairy Book

Encylcopedia Brown - saving for her to read on her own

Homer Price - haven't gotten to it yet

Read younger - Beatrix Potter Series

Books she likes and thinks you should read:

Clementine series

Lots of Nate the Great

Boxcar Children

CL Nature Readers

My Friend and I - picture Book

Milly, Molly, Mandy

Betsy-Tacy +

B is for Betsey +

+ means "you can find them at the library"

but here is what I have planned so far:

Pagoo (Holling C. Holling)

Mary Poppins (we are actually starting it now because she wanted to)

Peter Pan (audiobook version)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (DD is very excited for this)

Charlotte's Web

The Just So Stories

Wind in the Willows (audiobook version)

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

The Magician's Nephew

These we have already read, but I wouldn't flinch at reading them again:

Winnie-the-Pooh

The House at Pooh Corner

My Father's Dragon (all three)

Aesop

Ringtail (Alice Crew Gall)

Mine loved Charlotte's Web too, but ds 6 became a vegetarian for a long while after that . . . so if you have a sensitive child who hasn't made connections about where food really comes from . . . you might want to be cautious about this one.

I ran into the same issue when I first read Little House in the Big Woods to him , in the opening chapter where they slaughter a pig. :tongue_smilie:

I am reading The Indian in the Cupboard right now. My kids are loving it. There is a lot of advanced vocabulary though so I am glad I have waited towards the end of 1st grade to start it- but my 4 yr old listens most of the time and I stop to explain what some of the words mean. Reid has such beautiful images painted with words though. I just finished Homer Price. My son didn't like Just So Stories. We also read Stuart Little. I tried Mrs. Piggle Wiggle because I remember it from when I was little and loved her but my children started misbehaving in order to imitate the poor behavior of some of the children in the book so we stopped reading the books :( too bad. Of course Nate the Great and Aesop are favorites here too. We also read The Boxcar Children. My children thought that book was so so. I have also been pulling out selections of poems and stories from The Moral Compass and The Book of Virtues because so many are so great and they are often short for a nice break in the middle of our school day. I also often pull copywork from them.

Kate DiCamillo!!!!!!!

We have LOVED her books. I am currently reading The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, and I read over 70 pages YESTERDAY because neither of us could stop once a chapter ended. We have also read and loved The Tale of Despereaux. We have but have not yet read Because of Winn Dixie and The Tiger Rising.

We also love Kate DiCamillo. We just finished Tale of Despereaux...a fun book to read aloud. We enjoyed Because of Winn Dixie too.

We have been reading the Burgess Bird Book this year and, as a result, my son has really become interested in birds.

My all time favorite is Trumpet of the Swans (my kids love it too).

Others:

Paddle to the Sea

My Father's Dragon series

Have you looked at Amblesideonline.org?

Lisa