Menu

My kids attended public school for elementary and liked it. Then came Middle school- and the learning stopped completely. DD was bored out of her mind, did not learn anything, and was bullied. No reason to go to school if you neither learn nor have friends.

What pushed us off the fence was the pathetic math curriculum in middle school.

Homeschooling so far works very well for both my ambitious overachiever DD and for my lazy minimalist DS.

My kids attended public school for elementary and liked it. Then came Middle school- and the learning stopped completely. DD was bored out of her mind, did not learn anything, and was bullied. No reason to go to school if you neither learn nor have friends.

This is very similar to our reason. My kids went to ps k-4. They switch to an upper elementary for 5-6th. It was terrible. There was a lot of bullying and very little learning. Ds is autistic spectrum and was having major problems there. Bringing them home allowed them to fly ahead in their strong areas while keeping up in their weak ones. They were removed from the bullying and made more and closer friends in the social situations they chose.

I don't know about personalities, but my kids (especially ds) are not level learners. While all kids have strengths and weaknesses, his are extreme. Being able to work right at his level all the time increases his learning dramatically. DD was just bored through ps. For her we picked up the pace and reduced redundancy. She will step up if challenged and lay back if not.

Ds had a bad teacher. Then dd developed stress related health issues.

Now that we know the benefits of hsing, we could not imagine putting our youngest into ps at all.

I think a parent personality does best for the teacher and a child personality does best with the learner. I will say that the kids have to respect their parents for it to work. If there is no respect, if they're like the little monster I saw on the fail blog (tore up a waiting room while his mom ignored him, screamed while his mom ignored him and finally jerked his mom's skirt off... she stopped ignoring him) it won't work. More because of the parent than the child.

Well I self-educate, but to the state, we homeschool.

I went to Public School through 10th grade. We had planned to start homeschooling in middle and through high school, but money was an issue.

The simplified version: The teachers weren't teaching, drugs, gang violence, racism, and it was just turning into a large waste of time and was very unsafe and not somewhere I wanted to be everyday. We pulled the money together for the curriculum, and here we are.

Sanity. My son's and my own. He was in ps through 3rd grade but his autism and anxiety issues were getting unrelentingly worse and had reached (if not passed) a crisis level. I don't think he ever really learned anything there. He figured out reading on his own when he was 3 because he was tired of waiting for a grownup to come read the dialog on his video games for him and knew all his addition and subtraction facts and a little about multiplication and negative numbers before he started kindergarten--they suggested skipping him a grade or two at one point but after I pointed out that he was not socially or emotionally ready for kindergarten yet and second grade would be even worse socially, especially if he was viewed as a freak upstart kindergartener, we all agreed he was better off where he was.

Anyway, I never wanted to homeschool, I had things I wanted to do during the days while the kids were at school. I did want to do fun, educational activities with the kids at home after school and during the summers and we usually had some fun sciency thing going on around the house, like raising caterpillars or whatever, but I wasn't remotely interested in homeschooling. It still chafes a little sometimes. But something had to be done. The general education classroom setting was slowly driving my son insane (and that is not hyperbole) and he was getting increasingly difficult to deal with at home--which is saying something since he was always an incredibly intense child (at school he had two one-on-one technicians, one for the morning and one for the afternoon, and when I suggested that maybe having the consistency of just one person helping him I was told that NOBODY should have to deal with him all day long; when I said I was going to homeschool him they looked at me like I had two heads and said, "Wooooow.....all day? All by yourself?"). But something had to be done, and the two alternate placements the school could offer were even worse for him than the gen ed classroom. One was a class for non-verbal autistic children where they were teaching children things like how to communicate by pointing to a series of pictures (for a child with a high school to college level vocabulary?). The other was for "behaviorally disturbed" children--which I acknowledge he was, at the time, but gracious goodness part of his problem was his utter terror of "regular" kids, how did they think he would react to a room full of children who behaved erratically. But that was why they had all worked so hard (and really, we had wonderful, caring staff who genuinely did their best to make it work) to keep him in the gen ed class. But it just was not working.

So we brought him home. Best thing we've ever done. For the whole family. Except possibly me, because I sometimes feel like chewing my own leg off to escape. Not because I don't like being around my kids, I really do. And I enjoy the teaching and learning. It's just that I have a very high need for solitude--it's how I recharge--and I just don't get enough with the kids home all day long and too old for naps. I do get a quiet half hour or so in the afternoons, usually, but it's often interrupted with little things so it's not very restful. And dh has taken pity on me and helped me arrange one night a week that I have "off" and can go out and be alone (or stay in and we all pretend that I'm out...lol) and do my own thing. But yeah, I do get a bit cagey sometimes.

Dd went to ps for K and 1st grade but she was struggling academically due to her as yet undiagnosed ADHD (diagnosed toward the end of 1st grade) and then she came to me and said she thought I loved ds more because I kept him home with me and sent her away. So we brought her home too. Not long ago she told me she only wanted to homeschool because her brother did, but now she's missing her friends at school and thinks she might like to go back next year. She plays with friends every day after school, but I think she has a need to be with people in the same way I have a need to be away from them. She's a highly social creature. And really, it's a good school and only a couple of blocks from our house, and I'm seriously considering letting her go back next year. I think in another month or two I might walk over there and talk to the principal about it. Her reading is MUCH better now, but I think she's a little behind in math. I think ideally I'd like to keep working on her math with her after school, and maybe send her "homework" to school for her to work on while the other kids do math class. But we'll see if they're flexible enough for that over there. It's a different principal than the wonderful one we used to work with when ds was in school.

It was my mom's decision to pull me out of ps in 7th grade, not mine. At first, I was completely against the whole idea of even trying it, I wanted to stay in ps where I was a honors student. After the first year, I wanted to go back, but my mom said no and kept me home for 8th. Then she wanted to send me back, but I didn't want to, and I think it was then I started to like homeschooling.

There are many reasons why I was pulled out of ps, bomb threats, drugs, my friends, teachers, and just the fact that things were not safe at school anymore. I didn't see the point of going back to ps, and let me tell you, I am taking driver's ed at the local public high school, and it is terrible! You have to act a certain way, talk a certain way, dress a certain, and so many other things that it is driving me crazy. I cannot wait to get my permit and get out of there!:lol:

I sef-educate mostly, sometimes with the help of my parents, but they have me work independtly, so most of my education is on me! But I like it better than ps.

Why did you decide to publicschool? What type of person/personality does well with publicschooling? Just curious.

Somebody who has grown up in an environment where nobody homeschools and had a very positive public school experience herself. Like me.

In my homecountry there is no homeschooling. I went to a wonderful school. It seemed to me the normal thing to do: send kids to school.

In addition, if both parents work full time, it may not occur to them to homeschool.

If I were still living in Germany, my kids would attend school there and we'd be happy with it. I am not able to give them the same quality of education in all subjects through homeschooling as an excellent school could.

So... What's your answer?

No actually I am a SAHM with a 5 year old who is considering homeschooling for kindergarten next year. I genuinely wanted to find out why others homeschool. No, my kid's are not enrolled in public school. I am just a mom who is trying to make the best decision for my family. I am researching, asking questions and praying a WHOLE LOT!

Edited by cabreban

Why did you decide to homeschool?

We have always homeschooled. I started mainly for the academics. I figured I could do better one-on-one than the best teacher could one-on-twenty+. A secondary reason is that ds's nickname back then was "Our Lord of Perpetual Motion". Texas, where we lived at the time, was very proud of their brand-new, full-day K program. It would have been torture for ds. Dh and I agreed in early elementary that we would have been talked to about drugs for ds due to his wiggly nature. AND, he was/is a perfectly healthy, normal, active boy.

I have heard people say that the reason they started to homeschool is different from the reason they continue to homeschool. We still homeschool for the academics. Our current county's graduation rate is around 50%.

What type of person/personality does well with homeschooling? Just curious.:)

I think it helps that I am organized and enjoy learning myself. I think it would be better if I were more relaxed and less rigid and smarter.

HTH!

Somebody who has grown up in an environment where nobody homeschools and had a very positive public school experience herself. Like me.

In my homecountry there is no homeschooling. I went to a wonderful school. It seemed to me the normal thing to do: send kids to school.

In addition, if both parents work full time, it may not occur to them to homeschool.

If I were still living in Germany, my kids would attend school there and we'd be happy with it. I am not able to give them the same quality of education in all subjects through homeschooling as an excellent school could.

I wonder if there is not as much homeschooling in Germany because of persecution? http://www.hslda.org/hs/international/Germany/201011090.asp I am not so sure I would be as brave as the people in this article. I am thankful for the relative freedom we have in this country to home educate.

We decided to homeschool when our oldest was 5. He was very bright (reading by the age of three), but was always getting in trouble at preschool for "childish" behavior (imagine that!!! He was four :lol:). I did not want his spirit to be crushed at such a young age!! My sister (who is a public school teacher) repeatedly told me NOT to send him to public school, as he would get labeled as a "trouble maker" just because he would be bored (yes, the teachers do talk about the students and kids get a reputation even among the teachers). We also wanted our children to be taught in a Christian environment, and even though we have a Christian school in our town, I was not impressed.

This has been the BEST decision we have ever made. I love that I KNOW my kids, they can move at their own pace (and for us that has meant being excellerated in most subjects), and we can incorporate a Christian world view in all of our subjects. It is not always an easy job, but it has been the most rewarding job I have ever had!!!

I am very organized, but I have seen all types of personalities in homeschooling and feel that the one thing we all have in common is wanting the best for our children. Many blessings to you as you search for the right path for you and your family.

I wonder if there is not as much homeschooling in Germany because of persecution?.

There might certainly be a few more families who would homeschool if it were legal - but if you grow up surrounded by people who send their kids to school, homeschooling would not even be on your radar. It certainly was not on mine.

We did not home school from the beginning. My husband was very pro-home schooling. I thought the schools would do a better job than I could. By the end of 2nd grade, my attitudes started to change especially after it began to appear to me that things other than education took precedence in our district. I was reluctant to homeschool starting from a negative, though. It took me about a year to discover and articulate a positive reason. Once I'd done that we withdrew our son from ps at the end of 3rd grade. He never darkened the door of another public school during school hours again except to take the PSAT.

I don't think there's any one type of personality needed to ensure success, but it helps if you are willing to self-educate, have a realistic attitude about the abilities of your children as well as your own, and are willing to commit to giving your best efforts to teaching or to outsource one or more courses if necessary.

No actually I am a SAHM with a 5 year old who is considering homeschooling for kindergarten next year. I genuinely wanted to find out why others homeschool. No, my kid's are not enrolled in public school. I am just a mom who is trying to make the best decision for my family. I am researching, asking questions and praying a WHOLE LOT!

:confused: I thought that Julie meant she had her children in public school. I really missed the intent of her post completely. I was curious then to her answer to that question, before I realized she meant it differently.

:lol:

clear as mud

I homeschool because it's right for our family. It was something my husband and I decided to do before having kids.

I had kids because I WANT them. Not because I want a school to have them.

:D Good answer. I misunderstood your post the first time around. I thought your dc were in ps. Oops!

Sorry about being unclear. I just find it annoying that people will ask me, "Why do you homeschool" and except a non-offense, short, concise, answer, that answers the question completely. And if I don't have such an answer, then it appears as homeschooling isn't a good option since I can't articulate why I do it - to complete strangers??

But if I turn it around and ask them, "Why do you publicschool" I get stunned look and a bunch of mumbling and answers such as, "Because we like do. It's like normal" or the best one yet, "That's none of your business". (Right after they asked me why I homeschool, and got a answer to that question)

I admit there is a part of me that likes to see 'them' fumble for a answer and hopefully realize it's difficult, actually next to impossible to quickly and clearly explain your school choice reasons in 100 words or less in a non-offense manner.

It never occured to me to turn it around.

Veddy veddy intevestink.

I just find it annoying that people will ask me, "Why do you homeschool" and except a non-offense, short, concise, answer, that answers the question completely. And if I don't have such an answer, then it appears as homeschooling isn't a good option since I can't articulate why I do it - to complete strangers??

Yeah, I hate that. If I'm truthful people get offended, but if I just say "It's what works for us," they gloat.

We homeschool because dd asked for it when she was in the 7th grade. She had been in public school since kindergarten.

We had high hopes for public middle school because she was in an IB program and in the gifted program. Yet she was bored! Most assignments did not spark her interest, and she had little in common with peers.

I had never wanted to homeschool, but dh and I thought it was the best decision we could make for our daughter. Now I wish we had started years sooner. On the flip side, ds17 has no desire to be homeschooled: he rarely enjoys a class, but he is highly invested in his social network at public school. So far, his social network has not been a problem, but it seems to me that since elementary school, public school has had a dumbing down effect on my intelligent son.

Not sure about the personality question, but I have observed interesting differences among mothers in my local homeschool group.

This is our first year to homeschool and dd is a sophomore.

PS in elementary was a good experience for her, but when she entered middle school things began to deteriorate so we put her into a private Christian school, which turned out to be no better. We dealt with "Teens gone Wild", and she was scholasticly "shutting down" and following the lead of kids leading a very promiscuous lifestle, so we decided to homeschool as a last resort. I was very reluctant and had no idea how to do this, but I am happy to report that things are going nicely and we have reclaimed our daughter. She loves being hs'd and is thriving and "back on track". I am sooo thankful we chose to do this.

This is our first year to homeschool and dd is a sophomore.

PS in elementary was a good experience for her, but when she entered middle school things began to deteriorate so we put her into a private Christian school, which turned out to be no better. We dealt with "Teens gone Wild", and she was scholasticly "shutting down" and following the lead of kids leading a very promiscuous lifestle, so we decided to homeschool as a last resort. I was very reluctant and had no idea how to do this, but I am happy to report that things are going nicely and we have reclaimed our daughter. She loves being hs'd and is thriving and "back on track". I am sooo thankful we chose to do this.

:grouphug: Congratulations! I love reading these kinds of posts :D

My boys were in ps through 8th, 6th, and 4th grades respectively. I work in our local public high school subbing (mostly math and science) and have for the past 11 years. Our high school falls below our state standards... and then, made a change for the worse IMO by going to block scheduling.

All but a few kids in our school don't care about their education. They just want to do enough to get by. Some don't even care to try to do that. They have no attention span and no desire to learn more about pretty much anything that doesn't involve video games, twitter, Hollywood, or their getting money for doing as little as possible.

When my oldest was in middle school we made an appointment to talk with the principal. He flat out told us that public school was not intended for the academically talented child. It was meant for the average child. Then he said, "Around here, the average child grows up to work at ______, joins the military, or goes to community college." We wanted more options for our boys. "I" grew up in an excellent public school so I knew the difference. Teachers here mainly grew up here and went through this system (or one like it) and have no clue that academically talented kids can, indeed, do much better academically.

So, we pulled all three out. My oldest two loved it. My youngest did not. Over the 4 years he homeschooled he got more and more depressed - convinced we were ruining his life. In spite of that, he learned more and went from being in the middle of his grade as per academic stats to near or at the top (pending which stat you use). However, he got suicidal, so we grudgingly let him go back for 9th grade.

It didn't take him long to realize why we did what we did. His personality is such that he won't return home (he'd see that as a defeat), but he is now cooperative with doing more after school to try to see that he does get an education (especially in math and science, but I also have him reading more books too). Fortunately, he relishes being at the top of his class and doesn't slink back down due to the names he is called or the other chiding of the students. His teachers love him. They wish they could have a whole class of his clones. He often comes home with multiple stories that match what I've seen regarding the low enthusiasm of his peers. He's just as frustrated with them as I am.

We'll see how it goes, but I'm glad I pulled him out for the 4 years to give him the foundation. I'm pretty certain if they had stayed in school they'd be similar to their peers as that's all they'd know.

We did offer to let middle son return as a junior. He took less than a second to tell us, "NO WAY!" He's been top of his class in two community college classes though. :D

My dd has been homeschooled all along. She is 13 now. We are considering putting her in a very good private school. But now I am having 2nd thoughts about that.

My reasons are perhaps unusual, but very important to me. I work full-time and only get to see my dd in the evenings and weekends. If she went to school, she would have to do homework and practice her instrument in the evenings, so we would lose a lot of the time together we have right now. This is a very special time when we can play games, watch a video, talk, etc. and I read to her every night. I would lose a lot of that connection for what? For some extra busy work?

Also, right now, she can sleep in. She doesn't have to get up at a certain hour. I am concerned that she won't get enough sleep if she goes to school. I've read some of the sleep research and feel that sleep is very important for physical and mental health and for learning. What is more important than her physical and mental health and her learning? Seems like those things should be a priority and the school schedule should take a back seat, as it does in our homeschooling.

And, I am concerned about excessive peer influence. Somehow in school, there is the unwritten "code of the kids". It makes it so you aren't free to be yourself. You have to change yourself to conform to the norm. You have to like the right kinds of music, wear the right clothes, speak in a certain way, etc. If you violate the "code of the kids" you are punished by being socially ostracized, teased, etc. My dd is a great, fun, happy, positive child. I don't want her peers to change her, tease her, bully her, and force her to conform to their idea of how she is supposed to think and act.

So, the reasons are: 1. my relationship with my dd 2. sleep and the negative health affects 3. my dd's loss of herself due to peer influence.