Menu

Really, really want to quit a co-op...

Please help me think this through. The co-op is from 9:30-2 every other Friday. It's about a 35 minute drive away, and my PE/Lunch time I'm responsible for is right in the middle of the day, which means I'm stuck wandering that part of town with my crabby baby since it's too far to go home. Although I think the classes are beneficial for my kids, including science, math, and music, I dread going, and the kids don't really like it either. They haven't made friends like I had hoped. However, I committed to teaching this PE/lunch session for the school year. I'd also like to schedule myself to work Thursday nights and just chill on Friday. I can't work over-night and then drive around and coherently lead a class the next day.

Is there a way to gracefully bow out? :confused:

Yes, be very gracious and tell them that you need to leave the group to take care of some personal issues or because the day/time isn't working out for you right now. (It's ok to be vague.) I don't think I'd say much about not making friends or not wanting to go to the co-op, because who knows how you'll feel about it in a few years? You might end up wanting to return to the group, so burning bridges (even in a nice way,) could be a bad idea.

If nothing else, compliment the leaders on the things you have liked about the co-op, and thank them for giving you the opportunity to participate. Let's face it, the homeschooling community isn't that large, and chances are excellent that you'll see the same families at other activities and events. It's best to leave on friendly terms if you can.

Cat

I think if you can manage to you should fulfill your obligation and finish out the year. My co-op ends in April but meets every week. In our co-op it does put a big burden on the other moms when a family drops out mid-year. If that is the case with your co-op, then it is hard to end on good terms when you pull out like that. Unless you don't think it would be that difficult for them to find a replacement and it doesn't cause another mom to take on extra workload, then perhaps it would be okay to drop out.

Is there a place where the co-op meets that you could put your baby down for a nap in a pack-n-play? That's what moms with little ones do at our co-op. Then you could have some time to do your own lesson planning, enjoy a quiet moment, or visit with another mom.

Blessings as you make your decision. I know it's hard.

:grouphug:

We've tried and tried to do the little co-op we have around here. The kids just don't take to it.

If I were you, I'd try to get a replacement for myself before quitting. Ask the leaders for help. Tell them that you'll stay if necessary because you committed to it, but you would rather bow out. I'd be vague about the reasons. Something about how it wasn't working out with the regular homeschooling that you do. (I found that our co-op usually just cut into our 'real' homeschool work and made us all stressed out because we couldn't get our real work done.)

I think if you can manage to you should fulfill your obligation and finish out the year. My co-op ends in April but meets every week. In our co-op it does put a big burden on the other moms when a family drops out mid-year. If that is the case with your co-op, then it is hard to end on good terms when you pull out like that. Unless you don't think it would be that difficult for them to find a replacement and it doesn't cause another mom to take on extra workload, then perhaps it would be okay to drop out.

Is there a place where the co-op meets that you could put your baby down for a nap in a pack-n-play? That's what moms with little ones do at our co-op. Then you could have some time to do your own lesson planning, enjoy a quiet moment, or visit with another mom.

:iagree:

Hhhmmm.... They recently posted a blurb about babies NOT being in the nursery, even with mom present. It's only during mom's class. He's not a good napper with distractions anyway. Regardless, I feel stressed just wandering Walmart or whatever when I could be doing a dozen things at home.

Perhaps the best idea would be to contact the leaders and just talk to them, without burning bridges to see if I can find a replacement. They had put out an email recently seeing if new people wanted to join the co-op. This co-op is a smaller part of a larger homeschool group that I'm a part of. It could be that other people have decided not to return after our January break?

I do understand what pp said. I don't want the kids to get the idea that it's alright just to quit either.

Perhaps the best idea would be to contact the leaders and just talk to them, without burning bridges to see if I can find a replacement.

I think that is an excellent approach. Be aware, though, that they may not try too hard to find a replacement, and you may want to let them know that you're definitely leaving as of X date, and wanted to give them as much advance notice as you could. Otherwise, you could be stuck staying because they can't (or don't bother to) find anyone else who's willing to take your slot.

I do understand what pp said. I don't want the kids to get the idea that it's alright just to quit either.

I disagree with this. Sometimes, it's ok to quit. If you give something a fair try and it doesn't work for you, it's ok to quit, especially if you do it graciously, and don't just stop showing up without an explanation.

Your kids are at the co-op for 4 1/2 hours and they expect you to leave and come back in the middle of the day to teach a class without offering any place for you or your baby to stay during the other times your children are in class??? That is just weird. Under those conditions, I probably wouldn't have joined in the first place. At our co-op, parents are expected to be on premises the whole time (except for high-schoolers whose parents have paid extra to "opt-out"). Parents are assigned to teach, float, assist a main teacher or to other duties each hour, so I wish we had at least one of the four off for a break. Now, I am glad we don't have to leave if this is the way other co-ops do it.

Well, I sent an email and I feel sort of like a heel. :001_unsure:

I did say I would cover until end of February, but I didn't leave it open after that. The three ladies who have developed this co-op have really put their hearts and souls into it. I had also signed up for the co-op before we were placed as teachers and didn't get my first pick of nursery helper. Frankly, I'm not much of a leader, and don't like being in charge of a class either. There's something about my demeanor, I think, that makes me easy to ignore. :glare: Also, if I lived nearby it wouldn't be such a big deal either.

Well, I hope their recent call for new members isn't a sign of other people dropping out, making my absence more difficult to fill. With trepidation, my fingers are crossed. :leaving:

If you had a paid job, you would be entitled to quit with a certain amount of notice. I don't see it much different to that. You committed, but it's not working out; it's ok to do something about this and by the sounds of it your kids will probably thank you all the way home! I don't think you should feel bad about making a change that will be better for you and your family.

And yeah.. not being able to stay at the premises is weird.. :confused:

Maybe you could do something or give the co-op organisers a gift to thank them for their work?

:iagree: