Menu

Food suggestion for Chinese New Year?

mazakaal

I'm having a meet-up at my house next Tuesday with a bunch of other homeschool moms and kids. I thought it'd be fun to do something associated with the Chinese New Year. I'm going to have the kids make simple Chinese lanterns for a craft and thought it would be nice to serve some kind of a snack from China. The only Chinese food that I'm familiar with is main meal food - rice, stir fries, etc. The only snack food I can think of is fortune cookies. Anyone have any other ideas for a snack?

wontons are good, and they are fun to make in a group. I have made them in a group, but a Chinese friend set out all the ingredients, I don't know how difficult or involved that would be. Family Fun magazine did a how to with recipe and photos last year, I think, you could check their website.

I agree with the other suggestions of pot stickers or boiled dumplings. You can dip them each in soy sauce, preferably mixed with a little Chinese vinegar and some crushed garlic/chilli.

Chinese people don't snack very much. Guests might be offered boiled sweets, fruit or watermelon seeds along with green tea. Dumplings are usually served as part of a main meal.

Laura

Guest GlutenFreeFamily

If you have a Asian Market nearby, they will have specific candy for New Years. Our family really enjoys Lotus Seeds, Coconut Candy, Candied Ginger, etc. They can be expensive if you buy it in the red containers. Many stores will sell it in small bags too.

T:)

I've been thinking about the exact same thing for our group on the 8th feb, we're doing a chinese new year theme. In the end I've decided on Spring rolls which I keep reading are eaten around this time of year, though I don't know how accurate that is. Either planning to make some as the pastries are easy to pick up in the supermarket, or buy some (Waitrose might have some half decent ones but they may be pricey). Depends on how much time I have with getting all the bits together for other activities we are doing.

We "celebrated" Chinese New Year yesterday. We're on the China chapter in SOTW2, so I just decided to do it, even though it's not techinically New Year yet. We made fortune cookies. Found the recipe in the back of the library book. It was fun and actually pretty easy.

Fortune cookies aren't really Chinese. They don't eat/have them in China, as they were popularized here when Chinese restaurants started springing up in California.... not being snarky, just FYI :)

The food served at Chinese New Year represents things that people want in the New Year. Here is a short list that I found that lists out some common foods served and what they symbolize. Gongxi Facai Xinnian Kuaile!!

Chinese New Year Food Symbolism

• Bamboo shoots - wealth

• Black moss seaweed - wealth
  • Dried Bean Curd - happiness (note: fresh tofu is not served because the color white symbolizes death and misfortune in Chinese culture).
  • Chicken - happiness and marriage (especially when served with "dragon foods," such as lobster. Family reunion (if served whole)
  • Eggs - fertility
  • Egg Rolls - wealth
  • Fish served whole - prosperity
  • Chinese garlic chives - everlasting, a long life
  • Lychee nuts - close family ties
  • Noodles - A long life
  • Oranges - wealth
  • Peanuts - a long life
  • Pomelo - abundance, prosperity, having children
  • Seeds - lotus seeds, watermelon seeds, etc. - having a large number of children
  • Tangerines - luck

Crab ragoon! Easy to make! I can give you the ingredients, you can figure the amounts (really, most of it is preference).

Cream Cheese

Imitation Crab Meat

Chives

1-2 caps of Worcheshire Sauce (depending upon how much you make)

Other ingredients my SIL and I have played with adding:

Parmesan Cheese

a bit of Sugar

Mix up in a bowl, put into wonton wrappers and seal. Deep fry, making sure to flip regularly to fry evenly until crispy golden (only a couple minutes each, I believe). Serve with a sweet chili sauce or duck sauce.

Fortune cookies aren't really Chinese. They don't eat/have them in China, as they were popularized here when Chinese restaurants started springing up in California.... not being snarky, just FYI :)

The food served at Chinese New Year represents things that people want in the New Year. Here is a short list that I found that lists out some common foods served and what they symbolize. Gongxi Facai Xinnian Kuaile!!

Chinese New Year Food Symbolism

• Bamboo shoots - wealth

• Black moss seaweed - wealth
  • Dried Bean Curd - happiness (note: fresh tofu is not served because the color white symbolizes death and misfortune in Chinese culture).
  • Chicken - happiness and marriage (especially when served with "dragon foods," such as lobster. Family reunion (if served whole)
  • Eggs - fertility
  • Egg Rolls - wealth
  • Fish served whole - prosperity
  • Chinese garlic chives - everlasting, a long life
  • Lychee nuts - close family ties
  • Noodles - A long life
  • Oranges - wealth
  • Peanuts - a long life
  • Pomelo - abundance, prosperity, having children
  • Seeds - lotus seeds, watermelon seeds, etc. - having a large number of children
  • Tangerines - luck

This list is very helpful. Thanks so much!