Menu

Incorporating God/Faith into your curriculum?

I hope this is ok to post here. We use a variety of curriculum but it is all secular. I have never been able to easily integrate faith/God/Jesus into our lessons. I know that sounds lame because it seems like a simple idea....but I just don't know "how" to do it. :confused:

I have tried doing a bible verse a week or bible reading time, etc....but they never last and honestly I have a hard time explaining some of the verses that we have chosen (usually proverbs).

I have two goals here:

1. Character building. I want to ingrain in them the golden rule of loving God with all your heart and loving others as yourselves. I want them to live by WWJD?

and

2. Study the bible and really know the history behind why we believe what we do so they have a strong foundation in their faith.

I was raised Catholic but it was old school Catholicism. We went to mass every Sunday, never missed a holy day of obligation, observed lent with more rules than any other Catholic I have ever known! I was raised with a fear of God rather than truly knowing Him. Although our home was very "religious", we were lacking in the whys. My mom was more fire and brimstone both in her parenting and in religion.

So even though I've been "christian" all my life, I've really just begun to understand the protestant side of things in the last 6 years or so (since we started attending a basic Christian church).

Long story short, how do you teach biblical principles? Do you use a specific curriculum? Do you do a bible study with your children? Any specific books/guides you use? TIA!

(and I used to teach CCD classes when we were still Catholic! :001_huh: )

Well, based on your last statements I'll assume you're looking for neutral-ish Protestant resources (if you have a preferred denomination that might help us help you). I can empathize with the desire to know that you know that you know why you believe what you do, and to present that to your kids.

There are many ways to incorporate it into your homeschool.

1. Have a separated Bible time, using devotionals, Bible studies, just The Bible (I recommend starting either at the beginning of the NT or in John of the KJV), etc. Resources could include Keys for Kids (free from Christian Broadcasting Ministries), Leading Little Ones to God, Explorers Bible Study, or check out what is offered for both Bible study and Homeschool Bible courses by Christian Book Distributors (cbd . com, spaces removed).

2. Do an actual "Bible" curriculum such as LifePac Bible (I'm sure there's something more interesting out there, but you get the idea).

3. Integrate Christian worldview into your other studies - such as studying Bible times right alongside Ancient times, then church history alongside Med./Ren. times, weaving in stories of saints and missionaries throughout. You could use a Christian history program, or add something like Peter Marshall's books, Greenleaf Guides, Guerber, Diana Waring, Heroes in History (? I'm thinking of a series that's about missionaries), etc. You could also use a Christian science program; but if not, there are plenty of supplements out there. Answers in Genesis presents a young-earth creationist perspective and has many materials (you can sign up for a free monthly magazine from them). CBD offers a wider variety from many publishers. You could also do a complete Christian curriculum such as MFW, TOG, HOD, VP, etc. or look at which specific books they use and just use them on your own. I think looking at what these curricula use for the older grades would be especially helpful.

4. Character study: you could study various character traits such as fruits of the Spirit, attributes of Love according to 1 Cor. 13, and the Beattitudes. This could tie into history if you just touch on what values & character traits people in history displayed/embodied. William J. Bennet has some good books for this. Other, less direct methods might be things like doing a Chronicles of Narnia study with one of the family Bible study guides that go with it, or for your oldest and yourself, other writings by C.S. Lewis.

ETA: Lee Strobel is a great author of "The Case for..." titles, and there are kids' versions too. I recommend the regular version for your high schooler. They are books, but there are movies of them on Netflix.

Edited by Annabel Lee

Thank you both for the suggestions! I will look into Concordia although I'm really hoping for something "frugal" as we are on a tight budget.

Arcticmom~ I have the Book of Virtues by William Bennett and I have yet to crack it open...maybe now is a good time ;)

I'll look into Keys For Kids again (I had forgotten about that). I am looking for a neutralish Christian perspective. We are not terribly conservative (although it depends on the issue/etc). I try to remove myself as much as possible from the religion side of it all and focus more on following Jesus. However, I find myself lacking in some of the biblical knowledge (history/some of the more obscure stories/etc).

I also have a hard time with the "just read your bible and you'll get it" opinions (not from anyone here...I get this from church friends). I wasn't raised with bible studies. I learned the big ones and we did study some basics...but I'm finding that I'm missing soooooooooooo much. I don't understand all the context behind some of the books so it's hard to then turn around and teach it, yk? (hope that makes some sense).

Thanks again :)

My Father's World. It does a fantastic job of integrating everything, and each year has a different focus.

Also, Drawn Into the Heart of Reading is good for character traits. Plus, www.keepersofthefaith.com has an excellent character study. It's called Write Upon My Heart, and it has a book for each trait-Obedience, Compassion, Kindness, etc.... It explains the trait, has them look up specific words that go along with the trait in the dictionary write down the definitions, then it has scripture study with questions, little stories with examples-lots of stuff. It really gets them to think. Check out the samples on the website.

We are so new to HSing that I shouldn't be giving advice but I will say this, we use curriculum that is Christ-centered and my son is reciting verses, asking more mature questions etc and the effect is really noticeable. :D

I've used lots of things over the years and am using a mix of materials I have on hand to study various aspects of religion and world religions this year and next.

One curriculum that I think is very sound and which provides a lot of usable material is Memoria Press Christian Studies:

http://www.memoriapress.com/descriptions/ChristianStudies.html

For character study, we've also done a variety of things. One book I really like is Bennett's Book of Virtues.

I've even incorporated various books of manners in this study.

On the best of days, and with the best of intentions, our Bible studies have multiple forms:

-memorizing Scripture (daily memory work)

-familiarity with the general Bible and God's overall plan (daily reading at bedtime from a good children's story Bible and good Bible story books [since mine are mostly still little.])

-learning to study/interpret/apply the Bible to daily life (age-appropriate studies for the older children).

-learning about great Christian men and women from history through biographies and such

-worshiping God through prayer and singing praise songs

-Scripture readings at mealtimes

-plus discussion any time it's appropriate

Does all of that happen every day? No. It's an ideal, a goal.

I'm of the mindset that if it's already incorporated throughout your daily life then you don't have to "add it" to your curricula...it will be in your discussions with your children, your discussions of history, your discussions of literature, your discussions of science, in your prayers, your devotions, any volunteering your family does, etc.

There are some great Bible study programs, but I'd also suggest that you begin to read the Bible together as a family - if you don't already. Proverbs, as you've found out too, is challenging as much of if is more adult themed. You may want to start with Psalms or with the Gospels as it's more familiar territory to start. Praying together as a family is another great way to incorporate your faith into your family life.

I'm so glad that you're seeing God as the loving, merciful God He is! :)

You have received a lot of great suggestions. I thought I would add one more. We are using the Catherine Vos Story Bible and I absolutely love it and so do my boys (ages 5, 8 and 12). It isn't a bible study but stories that stick to scripture very tightly. The thing I love is that it goes in chronological order so it does skip around in the middle of the Old Testament. It has given both me and the boys a great overview of the Bible and hasn't missed an important point. In fact every time I am about to add something to what is read, she says it! It's beautiful and my boys beg me to read more almost every day. It's also easy to stick to with and we read it while we have breakfast.

http://www.amazon.com/Childs-Story-Bible-Catherine-Vos/dp/0802850111

There are a lot of reviews that explain better than I can so I hope the link is helpful.

Alison

We use Positive Action Bible Curriculum. I cannot say enough good things about it. It tells Bible stories, it applies it to life today, it give scripture memory, prayer time suggestions, character building ideas, discussion questions, worksheets and activities, etc. There's one from Pre-K all the way up to high school. I absolutely love it and my kids are fascinated with it. It is really grounding them in the foundation of the Bible.

Aside from an actual curriculum, I just throw things into our regular subjects as well. If we're talking about science, I'll make references to how God made the world, how awesome it is that God made science work the way it does, etc. If we're doing handwriting, sometimes I'll have her write Bible verses or things referencing God. For history, we are doing Story of the World, so that has Biblical topics as well.

Edited by ChristusG
added something

I'm coming from a reformed point of view so the materials I've chosen reflect that, but this is what we do every day. We start our week with a catechism book called Training Hearts Teaching Minds: Family Devotions Based on the Shorter Catechism. On Mondays we write the question and answer in a notebook and then read that day's devotion, along with the scripture reference given for the day. There are six days worth of devotions but we double up one day to get it done in five. The only writing we do is on Monday.

We also use Veritas Press Bible study. This year we're focusing on the Gospels. We study the cards, print off the corresponding student pages, read the scripture references and talk about the passages we read.

We also use several supplements as needed, such as the Victor Journey Through the Bible, a good illustrated Bible dictionary, plus a Student Bible Atlas.

We're also reading The One Year Bible together as a family. Some of our other curriculum is Christian but it wouldn't have to be as long as you're studying the Bible and praying together as a family and talking/teaching as you go about your day as the opportunity presents itself. hth!

I am looking for a neutralish Christian perspective. We are not terribly conservative (although it depends on the issue/etc). I try to remove myself as much as possible from the religion side of it all and focus more on following Jesus. However, I find myself lacking in some of the biblical knowledge (history/some of the more obscure stories/etc).

I also have a hard time with the "just read your bible and you'll get it" opinions (not from anyone here...I get this from church friends). I wasn't raised with bible studies. I learned the big ones and we did study some basics...but I'm finding that I'm missing soooooooooooo much. I don't understand all the context behind some of the books so it's hard to then turn around and teach it, yk? (hope that makes some sense).

You might find a study Bible or Bible handbook helpful in getting the context for various Bible books. Study Bible wise I've found the NLT Study Bible is really good, because it focuses on giving context and stays fairly general in theological discussions. The viewpoint is conservative evangelical Christian, but not oppressively so. There are also various Bible handbooks which give the context and various other information about the Bible and the specific books. Just an idea! :)

Judy, I hear you about being frustrated with limited resources & knowledge and continually being told to go back to the Bible, which is the thing you're still trying to understand. Not that I hadn't read it before, but I was in a different mindset previously and we do see things through different lenses as our mindsets expand/change. Out of frustration I took a friend's advice and just began reading John. It sounds like you're in a place where you've dropped all unecessary, extra-Biblical "religion" and just want to seek Truth. You really can gain new insight from the same old Book just by reading it with a renewed mind. Granted, there is still historical context & all, but you can begin working with what's in your hands and still gain something. Ymmv, though. There's a website called blueletterbible . com or something like that - it has the words "blueletter" in it (perhaps a google search will pull it up). There, you can find alot of direct Greek & Hebrew translation to better understand the intent of the message. I'm open about Biblical translations and don't think a non-KJV is an incorrect Bible, but after researching and discussing w/ friends & pastors (also non-denominational & open to various translations) I came to the conclusion that KJV is the closest to the real deal as I will get without knowing how to read Greek or Hebrew and w/o access to the original writings. I know others come to different conclusions, and if I had difficulty w/ old English I'd likely not choose it as quickly. I grew up w/ it so it's familiar.

There's my ramblings for the morning. Best wishes on your journey!

I'm coming from a reformed point of view so the materials I've chosen reflect that, but this is what we do every day. We start our week with a catechism book called Training Hearts Teaching Minds: Family Devotions Based on the Shorter Catechism. On Mondays we write the question and answer in a notebook and then read that day's devotion, along with the scripture reference given for the day. There are six days worth of devotions but we double up one day to get it done in five. The only writing we do is on Monday.

We have this & love it, also. It is an excellent family devotional. We just read ours at the breakfast table. Great information.

I'm of the mindset that if it's already incorporated throughout your daily life then you don't have to "add it" to your curricula...it will be in your discussions with your children, your discussions of history, your discussions of literature, your discussions of science, in your prayers, your devotions, any volunteering your family does, etc.

:iagree:This is the way I do things too. I'd much rather model character, live a Godly life than get it crammed into my grammar studies or math problems. I've never found a good solid science and history is iffy with Christianity added in.