Menu

flunked out of the first cycle of history and science

GaHadley

it's dd's 1st grade year, and I just flopped out on History and science. I only got through MAY BE 5 chapters in SOTW, and we are s-l-o-w-l-y moving through mammals in science.

I am going to take the rest of this year and her 2nd grade year to do Galloping the Globe. After that, I'll have her in 3rd grade and dd2 in 1st grade. Where would you pick up with History then?

Also, what about Science? We should have been doing the life science this year, but we didn't even finish animals!

Well, the year's not over yet. I just started SOTW1 myself. We're on our 3rd week of it. I figure we'll probably finish shortly after we start our second grade year, but we're kind of all over the place with grade level stuff anyway. We start second grade math in a couple weeks, for example. So we're not going to be starting all one grade at the same time, and really, it doesn't matter when we start stuff, ya know?

Oh, and we're skipping biology (doing Intro to Science right now, so will hit all the fields of science briefly this year), and are doing Earth Science next year just because my son LOVES weather and will really enjoy doing the weather experiments. ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about where to jump into science - just pick something that interests you and your kids! And I don't see a reason why you can't just pick up SOTW where you left off and keep going. Just read through the book and don't worry about doing extra stuff with it. It's ok. The history project/reading police won't come after you. :lol:

I was panicking myself feeling like the school year was almost over and we were not even close to the half way point. Then I realized that in traditional school they have a 9 month school year, and we still have 5 months left. I was feeling like I had failed as I thought the school year was almost over, we are not even at the half way point yet. We have only managed 1 science experiment so far and are on chapter 7 in the SOTW. Oh well, it's part of why we homeschool.

I remember in our 1st time through 1st grade, we didn't hit animals too hard that first semester either. I let it go. They pick up a lot of that stuff naturally through hikes and scouts and the zoo and books anyway. We picked science up 2nd semester doing WTM science w/the human body. My girls LOVED it. It was such a change of pace, and we did so many fun things with it. It is a good memory. I actually always change things up a little after Christmas anyway. I re wrote our whole schedule for our school days over break and we are now including things daily that were getting left off (nap time w/silent reading, piano practice daily, etc.) You still have time to get back on track for this year.

When you are done w/GTG, you could just pick SOTW back up wherever you left off if you want. No other advice there. Things can change a lot before then. Who knows what will be best.

i I only got through MAY BE 5 chapters in SOTW, !

Get the CDs and have them on in the car or while you do art. You'll be amazed at what kiddo retains.

Spring is coming. Plant something then, and let her adore the growth. Also, the butterfly lab is fun, clean, lovely. Not much work at all.

I haven't read all of the posts. But I wanted to offer you encouragement: Keep moving forward! Don't look back.

I started hsing my first grader when TWTM first came out. There was NO SOTW! Our first two years of history and science were pathetic! We accomplished almost NOTHING and I have the notebooks somewhere in a box to prove it! :glare:

I abandoned "World History" in our third year when my oldest was in third grade. We went with American History - Sonlight 3 and then SL 4 - the next two years. Science was mostly Magic School Bus videos from the library with a few weeks of concentrated effort to "fit science in." I was never successful for more than three weeks at a time before science fell off our plate again. Really - no real progress for the first two YEARS in history and almost the first four years in science!

I hit the ground running with SOTW when my oldest reached 5th grade. Science eventually became a regular part of our world.

And we haven't looked back. We're FINE! Just look forward! Really. Don't let that 1-4, 5-8, 9-12 cycle mess you up. Just do the next thing - what ever you decide that is. Just look forward!

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Kids don't need formal science or history in 1st grade, IMHO. I would just get library books and then come back to SOTW when everyone's ready. For science, I would also get library books and videos and as much exposure to the things they're interested in as possible.

I haven't read all of the posts. But I wanted to offer you encouragement: Keep moving forward! Don't look back.

I started hsing my first grader when TWTM first came out. There was NO SOTW! Our first two years of history and science were pathetic! We accomplished almost NOTHING and I have the notebooks somewhere in a box to prove it! :glare:

I abandoned "World History" in our third year when my oldest was in third grade. We went with American History - Sonlight 3 and then SL 4 - the next two years. Science was mostly Magic School Bus videos from the library with a few weeks of concentrated effort to "fit science in." I was never successful for more than three weeks at a time before science fell off our plate again. Really - no real progress for the first two YEARS in history and almost the first four years in science!

I hit the ground running with SOTW when my oldest reached 5th grade. Science eventually became a regular part of our world.

And we haven't looked back. We're FINE! Just look forward! Really. Don't let that 1-4, 5-8, 9-12 cycle mess you up. Just do the next thing - what ever you decide that is. Just look forward!

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I'm not the OP, but thank you!

Get the CDs and have them on in the car or while you do art. You'll be amazed at what kiddo retains.

I have to agree with this! We were really moving slow, then I added the audio CD's and now we listen to each chapter in the car. We usually listen to the chapter for the week, then once that is done, we will listen to the chapter before, the chapter of the week again, and the chapter after. They get lots of repetition! The kids are retaining a ton and they start asking to listen to them before we even get our seatbelts on.

These cd's get two thumbs WAY up at our house. :001_smile:

Just keep swimming!

Don't stop and give up now. You have the rest of the school year (6 months) plus summer to get through SOTW and some biology.

Cuddle on the couch and read a little each day. Get some coloring sheets of what you are covering. Then you are right where you should be! :)

We started and stopped SOTW in my oldest dd's kindergarten and 1st grade years. Last year when she was 2nd grade and my ds was in kindy, we started up again at the beginning and it's worked out great. We stretched things out a bit, taking as much time as we wanted when the kids were interested, so we just started book 2 today. I found that once I had 2 kiddos that were working on SOTW, I was more committed to keeping it a part of our regular routine (and ds was that much older that he wasn't a pain to take to the library:lol:).

Just keep swimming! :)

LOVE the "Finding Nemo" reference! :001_smile: ...Unless that is a more famous phrase that the Nemo movie ripped off that I didn't know about...If so, then pretend I said something more intelligent and that I recognized the quote from THAT original, famous work instead of my kid's movies! But still...picturing the little fish "Dory" and smiling...:p

LOVE the "Finding Nemo" reference! :001_smile: ...Unless that is a more famous phrase that the Nemo movie ripped off that I didn't know about...If so, then pretend I said something more intelligent and that I recognized the quote from THAT original, famous work instead of my kid's movies! But still...picturing the little fish "Dory" and smiling...:p

Nope....it was Dory! :lol: I don't get out much! ;)