Menu

Should we bother with the fafsa?

BabyBre

FAFSA is free, some colleges require it to be submitted for any aid (including non-need-based aid) to be given, and the worst that'll happen is you will have wasted the time you spent filling it out. The best that'll happen is you'll be able to get a bit of need based aid after all. I'm not sure you can even get federal student loans without filling out the FAFSA. So I would fill it out anyway. :)

Another yes for a different reason. Some colleges will not give out financial aid in subsequent years if your child has not applied for it from his/her freshman year. Circumstances can change (economic downturn, job loss, disability, death), so it's a good idea to begin the process just in case.

Regards,

Kareni

Here is another reason for doing the fasfa: My dd goes to a small private liberal arts university and now in ther soph year she is a TA for a couple of profs in the biology dept. They use students because it isn't a research university and there are no graduate students to do the job. I don't think she could work on campus without the fasfa. You never know what opportunities will come up in college.

We are not filling it out. We have too many assets and D absolutely will not qualify. She will qualify for minor merit aid but from what I can see, of the 2 public schools she will go to, there is no mention of the FASFA as a requirement.

I think this might be because we have so many international students in our state (Florida) and there are quite a few scholarships aimed at those students (who do not fill out the FASFA), as well as eligible students who are residents of the state but not US citizens. Therefore, the point of filing out the FASFA is moot when it comes to merit aid.

There is a state merit scholarship here in Florida that comes out in mid-February but that does not require the FASFA; again, I think that is because of the large number of non-citizens attending our schools.

We are not filling it out. We have too many assets and D absolutely will not qualify. She will qualify for minor merit aid but from what I can see, of the 2 public schools she will go to, there is no mention of the FASFA as a requirement.

I think this might be because we have so many international students in our state (Florida) and there are quite a few scholarships aimed at those students (who do not fill out the FASFA), as well as eligible students who are residents of the state but not US citizens. Therefore, the point of filing out the FASFA is moot when it comes to merit aid.

There is a state merit scholarship here in Florida that comes out in mid-February but that does not require the FASFA; again, I think that is because of the large number of non-citizens attending our schools.

I highly recommend contacting the schools to confirm. I did not fill out the FAFSA for the same reasons. We missed out on the uni scholarships b/c of it and barely made it in time to qualify for the state's HOPE scholarship.

Nowhere did it state the FAFSA was required. But it was.

The FAFSA is a frustrating form, but I would by very wary of not filling it out. Beside school merit aid, outside scholarships sometimes want it, and as was mentioned up thread, sometimes opportunities that you don't know about now may require it. Further, family circumstances may change, and having filed for aid and not getting could help (if, for example, the family business has a hard year).

You know, I don't understand WHY this blasted form is required for so many things and that it's a 'one time or never' opportunity.

Methinks there are sneakier reasons the form is being used over and above qualifying need-based aid.

I am *not* looking forward to filling the $&*#@^% thing out.

Since you have to fill out a new one every year, I don't think it's a one time or never thing. But it IS a pain.