Menu

Costco for eye exams and glasses?

I have been neglecting to get a new prescription for so long and need it so badly... My 46 year old eyes need a little extra help these days!

I am wondering if Costco has a good reputation for eye exams and/or glasses, both quality and price wise. How good is their time frame? If anybody has any feedback it would be greatly appreciated.

We get all ours filled at Costco. I usually get glasses back within a week (except at Christmas, when it took about 10 days).

I have had no quality problems, even for my younger son who wore very odd prescriptions when he was little. Prices are very good also. I think you can get cheaper online, but I always need to try on the frames before I buy.

We go to Sam's Club, which I believe does theirs the same way that Costco does. It is an independent Doctor of Optometry that you see. You do not have to have a membership to see the Optometrist. The Sam's in our area all charge $50 for a regular exam and $75 for an exam that includes a contact prescription. There's an additional $15 to have your eyes dilated. Now, the retail portion of the vision center you do have to be a member to purchase from. They don't have a huge selection of frames, but always carry a wide variety and I've never seen a frame above $130. The lens prices vary depending on the lenses, and have run us $30-70 per lens (my husband has bifocals, more expensive). Kids lenses are much less, like $15 per lens! All of them have the coatings and are the unshatterable type. It usually takes 7 days for the glasses to arrive. They quote you longer, but rarely does it take more than that. There's an optician on site most days and they'll adjust/clean/replace screws etc any time you walk in.

Anyway, not Costco experience, but I hope it's helpful.

We've had good results, and it's convenient.

:iagree:

In our case, the frames and lenses were much better quality than the ones my insurance would pay for at the My Eye Dr. franchise.

Heck, the Zenni Optical frames and lenses I paid $15 for were better than the ones from My Eye Dr. Not as nice as Costco's, but they were only a fraction of the price too.

I used to go to Costco, and had both a good experience with the 2 different independent optometrists and with purchasing glasses. I've had similar good results with Wal-Mart, though, and I get a discount there. Any big box store, the optometrist is independent and, as someone else said, is only as good as they are.