Menu

Has anyone made corndogs without a deep fryer (baked even?)

I made them last year frying them in oil on top of the stove. It was a bit of a mess, but my family sang my praises for days! They still ask me when I'm going to make them, again!

Here is the recipe I used:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/A-Plus-Fair-Corn-Dogs/Detail.aspx

Make sure to read the tips / reviews on using a cup for dipping the hot dogs...cutting the hot dogs in half before dipping, etc. Also, I followed someone's suggestion about rolling the dogs in flour (or corn starch) before dipping. Also, I did not use as much oil as was called for in the recipe.

~Holly

I make a "corndog pie" using 1 box jiffy yellow cornbread mix + 4-5 hotdogs, sliced into rounds. Make the cornbread & pour it into a hot cast iron skillet, with a light coating of oil, pre heated. Add the hotdog chunks & bake at 400 for 20-25 min, or until top of cornbread is golden brown. Immediately transfer from skillet by turning it over onto a plate so the "top" of the pie can get nice & crispy. Serve with ketchup or mustard, or both! :) My kids love this and it's perfect for when I don't want to cook! Sometimes I also add a can of mexicorn, undrained (which is how I make my regular cornbread) and just add a splash of milk instead of the 1/3 cup of milk the cornbread box calls for. My kids love it either way! :)

Edited by rootsnwings

My ds made a baked in muffin tins similar recipe. They were simple and tasty. No oil or frying of any kind needed.

I make a "corndog pie" using 1 box jiffy yellow cornbread mix + 4-5 hotdogs, sliced into rounds. Make the cornbread & pour it into a hot cast iron skillet, with a light coating of oil, pre heated. Add the hotdog chunks & bake at 400 for 20-25 min, or until top of cornbread is golden brown. Immediately transfer from skillet by turning it over onto a plate so the "top" of the pie can get nice & crispy. Serve with ketchup or mustard, or both! :) My kids love this and it's perfect for when I don't want to cook! Sometimes I also add a can of mexicorn, undrained (which is how I make my regular cornbread) and just add a splash of milk instead of the 1/3 cup of milk the cornbread box calls for. My kids love it either way! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Update: We made the Martha Stewart recipe and we had to use so much flour to get the batter to stay on that they were too floury... but we still fell in love with them. We made them again a couple of days later and I used corn bread mix to replace the flour for dredging... then it tasted like I might as well have just put weiners into cornbread.

So I will be experimenting some more... that sweet, crunchiness of actual corndogs is just not there yet. I am wondering if it will help to use shortening instead of oil.

On the Vegan Lunchbox blog she posted about making them using a twinkie pan: http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-3964-Cream-Canoe-Decorating/dp/B0009R59QY - they might also be called canoe pans. It's another piece of cookware to buy, but if you think you'll make them more than once, it could be worth it. I'm sure you could bake them and freeze them for later, too.

http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/2006/03/corn-dog.html - there's the vegan post.

I make them as muffins. Just use the recipe on the back of the cornmeal bag, fill the muffin tins half full, add a slice of hot dog (or smoked sausage), cover with a bit more batter and bake as directed on the cornmeal pkg.

Easy-peasy. Not much meat per serving though.

We do pigs in a blanket if my kids want a whole hot dog wrapped in a bread.

We save real corn dogs for the fair!