Menu

If you make the decision to HS from year-to-year, what guides your decision?

I apologize in advance that this is long....

A little backstory: I am what one might term an "accidental homeschooler." I started HS'ing DS midway through his 2nd grade year when it was obvious he was not getting the education he needed and the school was not providing any workable solutions. It went well and we decided to HS again for the 3rd grade because he (and the family) were happy with our new schedule and how well he was doing academically and behaviorally.

So now I am looking at what to do for the 4th grade.

Pro-PS: DS misses his school chums and claims he wants to go back. DD would probably flourish in PS and desperately wants to go to "real school." I could easily work 1-2 more shifts/wk and still do everything else I do (contract work 10-20 hrs/wk, run our family business, Scout responsibilites, home responsibilities) if I didn't have 4-5 hrs/day 5day/wk committed to HS'ing.

Pro-HS: Academics, our flexible schedule, DS's behaviors that made PS miserable for him and us, avoiding/delaying certain outside influences, family time, extended childhood...

I don't know. I hate this. I hate trying to figure out what to do.

How do you decide (if you aren't in it for the long haul)?

I was an accidental homeschooler as well.

After we realized how well it was working, we wanted to continue. That being said, after 7th grade, I let me DS's decide if they wanted to go back.

One did, one still doesn't.

I think, personally, that the "school chums" aspect is a tough one - but to me not a enough reason to go back.

Are they getting plenty of opportunity to hang out with their friends outside of school? If not - maybe that would be a good solution.

I always figured I'd be in it for the long haul, but DD's personality (she's very sociable and extroverted) is something I've had to take into consideration, as has our economic situation. She's been in a 1 day/week enrichment program since K. Next year for 3rd we plan on sending her to the 2 day/wk option so that I can go back to school. It effectively chalks her up to a part-time public school student, and the classes she'll be taking at the enrichment program starting next year I will count as covering relevant subjects and not duplicate at home--science and history, at least, are likely going to be covered, as well as Spanish.

If we found the right program, I'd consider sending her to high school, or maybe even upper middle school (there's a classical charter school nearby that might be an option, it starts in 7th grade). Of course, her sociability could make her more vulnerable at that age, as well, so I intend to be picky.

The important factors, for me, are about what's best for my kids. Me going back to school is entirely to improve our economic situation in the long run. If I had my druthers, I'd wait to go back to school until my youngest (yet to be concieved I hope) is at least half-grown.

I don't know. I hate this. I hate trying to figure out what to do.

Given your reasons, if you think your son will no longer be in academic and behavioral "difficulties" of whatever sort, YOUR reasons for hs are over. If you think he is just a kid and not able to assess the situation correctly, your reasons for hs are still pertinent.

I continue because it seems to be working for kiddo, and, honestly, I think I've gotten him in just deep enough a transition to ps would be difficult: ahead in math, behind in language and used to several hours of physical activity a day. I think he would be an odd peg, just like I was, and HATE it.

As for "chums", that is another benefit to the Y membership. He's gone the route of "Kevin who plays pool with me on Tuesdays, and Audra who loves to run, and Colin who likes water sports and is there every weekend when I am." He knows the staff at 2 Ys, and really looks forward to the group sports at the Y hs gym class.

But, my son has never wanted to go to "real school". They sit too much. HTH and :)

DS sees some of his friends on Wednesday nights at AWANA and some on Friday nights at Scouts. We coop with another family 1-2 times/month. And I will let him have a playdate any night of the week but his PS friends are a bit overscheduled with extra-curriculars so it's tough to find free nights. I think that's the main problem... The lack of daily interaction.

DD sees her friends starting preschool and kindergarten and misses the daycare she attended when I worked FT. I try to attend a MOMS Club activity 2-3 times/wk so she can see the friends she has through that.

when it was obvious he was not getting the education he needed and the school was not providing any workable solutions. It went well and we decided to HS again for the 3rd grade because he (and the family) were happy with our new schedule and how well he was doing academically and behaviorally.

I would try to find out if the situation has changed. Would he get the education he needs at the school now?

Given your reasons, if you think your son will no longer be in academic and behavioral "difficulties" of whatever sort, YOUR reasons for hs are over. If you think he is just a kid and not able to assess the situation correctly, your reasons for hs are still pertinent.

I continue because it seems to be working for kiddo, and, honestly, I think I've gotten him in just deep enough a transition to ps would be difficult: ahead in math, behind in language and used to several hours of physical activity a day. I think he would be an odd peg, just like I was, and HATE it.

As for "chums", that is another benefit to the Y membership. He's gone the route of "Kevin who plays pool with me on Tuesdays, and Audra who loves to run, and Colin who likes water sports and is there every weekend when I am." He knows the staff at 2 Ys, and really looks forward to the group sports at the Y hs gym class.

But, my son has never wanted to go to "real school". They sit too much. HTH and :)

Hmmm.... DS is ahead in math, grammar, and reading comp... behind in spelling... and emotionally immature. Personally, I think he would still have the same issues (boredom and frustration with the repetitious nature of "real school" and a mom who refuses to put him ahead a grade). You've met him.... He is not a "mature" 8yo. :tongue_smilie:

Perhaps I need to find more outlets for him.... I just hate adding to my schedule. And I need cheap or free outlets or I need to work more hours to make up the difference. Hmmmm....

Pro-PS: DS misses his school chums and claims he wants to go back. DD would probably flourish in PS and desperately wants to go to "real school."

Sorry, to me this is not a good reason to put them back into PS. The point of education is academics, not spending 15 minutes at recess and 30 minutes at lunch socializing with friends. You are the parent and it's your decision to make, not theirs.

I could easily work 1-2 more shifts/wk and still do everything else I do (contract work 10-20 hrs/wk, run our family business, Scout responsibilites, home responsibilities) if I didn't have 4-5 hrs/day 5day/wk committed to HS'ing.

How much do you need the extra money? Is it needed to cover the basics/pay down debt or is it just "gravy"?

Pro-HS: Academics, our flexible schedule, DS's behaviors that made PS miserable for him and us, avoiding/delaying certain outside influences, family time, extended childhood...

I think you really do know what you want and are letting outside influences unduly cause you doubt.

DH has been the one skeptical of HS and making the decision year-by-year. He bases it on academic progress made. Last year, he insisted on standardized testing (even though it's not required in our state) before he would give the okay.

This upcoming year, our personal circumstances may require me to resume full-time employment and put the kids into PS. DH has a 3rd interview at one firm next week and we're really hoping it will lead to an offer (or something else does in the next few months).

I am almost at the point of saying we will hs for the long haul. I am almost at the point of saying we will stay in the Charlotte area for the long haul.....ALMOST! ;)

I intended to homeschool until I couldn't stand it anymore and wanted/needed to go back to work.

So, we did the year to year thing.....I never bought new curricula until the summer, never made plans or paid for things in advance, etc.....

But what I didn't anticipate is that my kids love living here, my kids love homeschooling, and my KIDS have asked me to homeschool them through high school!

I have an Aspie son who really doesn't do well in large groups (aka: school!) and is doing very well at home. I can't, in good conscience, put him in school....at least not now.

Dawn

I would try to find out if the situation has changed. Would he get the education he needs at the school now?

From what I can tell, no. His "home" PS is known for how well it works with special needs kids (and is a magnet within the district for kids needing those programs) but does little to encourage those who are excelling. I would most likely be looking at putting him and DD in another school within the district that has AP and enrichment programs available. of course that would remove DS from having school with his neighborhood friends.

Sorry, to me this is not a good reason to put them back into PS. The point of education is academics, not spending 15 minutes at recess and 30 minutes at lunch socializing with friends. You are the parent and it's your decision to make, not theirs.

While I agree with you, it is hard to see him cry because he misses his friends and the experience he perceives they are having.

How much do you need the extra money? Is it needed to cover the basics/pay down debt or is it just "gravy"?

The extra work would be in part because I love my job and miss that stimulus. The extra money would be nice (but not necessary). It would be guaranteed income vs. the variable income we have with our business.

I think you really do know what you want and are letting outside influences unduly cause you doubt.

You are probably right.

DH has been the one skeptical of HS and making the decision year-by-year. He bases it on academic progress made. Last year, he insisted on standardized testing (even though it's not required in our state) before he would give the okay.

My DH tends to defer ALL decisions to me, whether it be HS or the business or my job. Which is why I'm here, picking your brains! :tongue_smilie:

This upcoming year, our personal circumstances may require me to resume full-time employment and put the kids into PS. DH has a 3rd interview at one firm next week and we're really hoping it will lead to an offer (or something else does in the next few months).

Good luck to you! I hope he gets a great offer soon!

I am almost at the point of saying we will hs for the long haul. I am almost at the point of saying we will stay in the Charlotte area for the long haul.....ALMOST! ;)

I intended to homeschool until I couldn't stand it anymore and wanted/needed to go back to work.

So, we did the year to year thing.....I never bought new curricula until the summer, never made plans or paid for things in advance, etc.....

But what I didn't anticipate is that my kids love living here, my kids love homeschooling, and my KIDS have asked me to homeschool them through high school!

I have an Aspie son who really doesn't do well in large groups (aka: school!) and is doing very well at home. I can't, in good conscience, put him in school....at least not now.

Dawn

That is great! It seems like you have reached some sort of peace with where you are!

I always figured I'd be in it for the long haul, but DD's personality (she's very sociable and extroverted) is something I've had to take into consideration, as has our economic situation. She's been in a 1 day/week enrichment program since K. Next year for 3rd we plan on sending her to the 2 day/wk option so that I can go back to school. It effectively chalks her up to a part-time public school student, and the classes she'll be taking at the enrichment program starting next year I will count as covering relevant subjects and not duplicate at home--science and history, at least, are likely going to be covered, as well as Spanish.

If we found the right program, I'd consider sending her to high school, or maybe even upper middle school (there's a classical charter school nearby that might be an option, it starts in 7th grade). Of course, her sociability could make her more vulnerable at that age, as well, so I intend to be picky.

The important factors, for me, are about what's best for my kids. Me going back to school is entirely to improve our economic situation in the long run. If I had my druthers, I'd wait to go back to school until my youngest (yet to be concieved I hope) is at least half-grown.

Thank you for sharing! Middle school and high school seem so far off but really they aren't. I've thought that if we are still HS'ing when DS reaches high school we will probably look at Running Start (dual enrollment college classes) and other options at that time. Of course, who knows what the economy and our government will do to families and our education between now and then.