Menu

Just curious...does anyone NOT do written narration?

golfcartmama

We don't either. Ds can tell me so much more when he knows he doesn't have to write it all down. He dislikes writing, and although we are working on building up his ability to write more, he is just way more verbal. He can talk forever about what we read, but if he thinks he'll have to write it out, he'll clam up. I generally do a verbal narration, then a drawing and ocassionally *one* written sentence about what we read.

I take dictation of their narration until partway through fourth grade. I don't mind and it makes my kids much happier about doing narration. I put them in their history notebook along with mapwork and any pictures they want to draw etc.

Now that my elder son is a 5th grader he does all his own narrations and outlines with no fuss.

I do not do written or oral narration because when I tried it with my son, he began to detest history. I didn't want to completely kill his love of the subject, so I backed off. He outlines, writes papers, keeps a timeline, does memory work, etc., etc. related to history. When he wants to narrate to me something regarding a book he's reading, I allow it. When he wants to ask me questions about a topic that has come up because of his reading and this leads to a discussion, that's fine, too. But the forced narrating, just did not work for us.....