Menu

Cursive for 6th grade?

We used Handwriting Without Tears Cursive Success for 4th grade.

We're using Handwriting Without Tears Can Do Cursive this year for 5th.

My daughter just basically works her way through the workbook and when she's done, she's done for the year.

She sometimes uses cursive on her own when writing a letter or a poem or something, but other than working through the workbook, I leave it up to her if or when she wants to use it.

What, if anything, would you recommend for Cursive next year for 6th grade? (Must be secular btw). Or is it just a matter of letting her practice what she's already learned at that point?

Edited by NanceXToo

Mine kinda skipped intensive cursive practice due to being in ps for a couple of years. If she's home next year, I'm just going to require her to write her work in cursive--

Does yours know all the letters and just need to speed it up a bit? Practice without frustration is probably key.

So I'd probably pick a few things to insist that she use cursive for, like maybe final copies of essays/writing assignments, history narrations that go in the notebook, etc. I'd also have her write letters to family or penpals to practice.

Yeah I think she's pretty good at knowing all her letters, I guess I was just thinking of something for more practice or for continuing to develop her style, but maybe that just comes with time/practice anyway....

I'm attaching a picture that shows what her cursive looks like these days, do you think it looks like it "should" for her age/grade (10/5th) and that she just needs to practice it when she's writing letters to people and so on?

Isn't that what copywork is for- for handwriting practice? :) My 10YO ds doesn't have a penmanship book anymore (although his curr. does make them [ italics]). I have him practice by copying poems.

heh we don't do copywork, although she does do other types of writing assignments.

I know you want secular, but take a look at Queen's Pictures in Cursive. It is basically a beautiful painting with copywork about the painting. Off the top of my head, I cannot recall anything religious in nature in the copywork (but won't guarantee it). Her LL books do contain religious materials. We use the pictures in cursive for picture studies as well. It is generally a beautiful book with traditional cursive practice.

Just to encourage you ............ my mom kept some of my 5th grade work from public school and my handwriting was TERRIBLE! When I saw it, I could hardly believe it! How could MY handwriting look so atrocious at that age? ;) I sometimes get after my dd for sloppiness with her writing but mine was far worse than hers.

Fast forward to today .... I am now complemented on the neatest and style of my handwriting. I don't know when it changed but I think it's not only practice that improves it but time and maturity. Your dd's handwriting looks much better than mine did at her age.

HTH! :001_smile:

I would have her write in cursive every day for one thing--she can pick the thing. Or you could have her do final drafts of her writing in cursive.

But as far as working on a skill, does she know how to type? If not, instead of another cursive book, I'd have her do a typing program.