Menu

Challenge: Help me design a MacGyver School for my son

Guest Dulcimeramy

Guest Dulcimeramy

He's 14 years old and in eighth grade. He has completed my requirements for an eighth grade education, and TOG and globally competitive math and science are in store for him in high school. I want to give him a break from book work. He's earned it!

I asked him what he wants to do for the rest of the semester. He said he wants to become more handy and resourceful.

He has developed a reputation in his Civil Air Patrol squadron and among his friends for being able to fix or rig anything. He carries a Magic Backpack wherever he goes that is full of duct tape, Swiss army knife, wires, batteries, soap, or whatever he thinks to put in there. Contents vary, I stay away from it. (I do insist on a first aid kit. LOL)

So he has MacGyver proclivities already. He wants to expand.

What courses would you include in MacGyver School?

This is part of our list so far:

Robotics

Electronics, circuits

Google Sketchup, Blender, Gimp (already doing this)

Whittling

Home meteorology

Ham radio

Various science kits from Elenco

Survival Skills (broad topic!)

Backyard Ballistics-type stuff

He makes crazy contraptions constantly.

He uses the internet to find instructions.

He has currently been making an airsoft grenade launcher...I know...not much practical use, but fun just the same.

The Backyard Ballistics book is awesome.

How to the Live in the Woods is another good book for these types.

We currently have a brick oven on our patio that ds and dd made...they've cooked hamburgers, hotdogs, potatoes, and toasted bread and deli meats.

Does he have his own toolbox? We got ds one with assorted tools...both manual and power.

Also, ds just got a Bowie Knife, hatchet, compass and a magnesium striker...all necessities for the outdoors...

hth,

Robin

Guest Dulcimeramy

Thank you both! Archery and rock climbing are both available in our area and reasonably priced. Perfect.

I think he'll get disaster/first aid through CAP. I'll double check on that.

Guest Dulcimeramy

Thank you, Robin! We have How to Stay Alive in the Woods, and an Army Survival Manual. He's going to use those for survival skills.

I would *love* a brick oven or barbecue. Great idea. That leads to other home repair and construction ideas...

He does have a toolbox. He hasn't learned how to use all the tools yet, though. I'm hoping to enlist his Great-Grandpa for lessons.

I'm getting excited about this. He's done so amazingly well academically, so these activities will be a reward for him. It will feel like playing, but I know he'll learn so much.

So, at 5:30 this morning, my husband got up to go to the bathroom, which woke me up, because I'm a light sleeper, and once I'm up, I have a pretty hard time falling back asleep because my mind just starts turning and I start thinking about various things...

...and it so happened I found myself thinking about this thread lol. Here are some other ideas that came to mind:

Learning to start a fire

campfire cooking (cooking things in the coals/hot ashes etc)

learning to identify/recognize/make things with edible plants

navigation by using the sun, stars, etc; maybe making own compass

learning to track/recognize animal signs

learning morse code

learning/breaking other types of code

I think he should learn how to fix a car. I'm telling you - not only will be be able to take care of whatever car he has - a lot of the skills behind that can be used in other places. He hastime this year to learn how to completely rebuild a car engine.

My DH is the only guy around (that we know) that can fix cars and is in constant demand (not his job - just as a friend).

If he is in Civil Air Patrol - he should learn about weather. Not only does it help with flight skills, it can be golden to be able to predict weather when camping, sailing, hiking, etc.

:iagree:Dh can do almost anything with a car unless it needs to go up on a rack. His knowledge has saved us thousands of dollars throughout the years. Our sons are grown and gone, but he is teaching dd.

He also does the majority of our remodel work and that has been a blessing beyond measure. Dd is his helper and runner. If your husband can't do these things, consider AmeriCorp which teaches young people to build a house from the ground up. AmeriCorp often has local programs. You can also get that experience by working with your children at Habitat. For the auto work, you might find a man in your church.

Guest Dulcimeramy

These are awesome suggestions. Thank you all very much!

I'm seeing many skills that he already has, so I guess the first thing will be to make a list of what he's already learned.

DH is very handy. He can teach woodworking, auto repair and maintenance, beginning plumbing and electricity, knots, sailing, rock climbing and rappelling, soldering, and various other construction and outdoor skills.

DH could have taught Nate these things in the past, but Nate was a true bookworm and really not interested. Now that he is interested, the two of them will probably have a great time!

Oldest ds worked through this course as a 9th grade elective. CLE sells it with a cheap answer key and tests, but the book and workbook are a Goodheart/Wilcox publication. Industry Standard Stuff.

Ds learned a lot about fixing engines. And it was easy to come up with tinker-material. Old lawnmowers are constantly at the curb around here. A great start for him!

http://www.clp.org/store/by_course/102

Peace,

Janice

you sound like a creative, fun mom! I have never seen this tv show, but he sounds like a James Bond - type - guy? maybe learn another language? maybe a new instrument? I don't know, but he is a lucky guy to have so many choices and to have YOU! :)

Automotive care/basic maintenance (advantage: changing the oil can become his regular chore!)

Emergency preparedness and household maintenance--things like how to check the circuit breakers and/or change a fuse, etc.

computer maintenance/repair--let him build one.

welding (if you know someone willing to teach him), smithing, carpentry

model rocketry (the advanced levels require fabricating your own rocket, and you can learn how to mix your own fuel, too)

ham radio operator/technician