Menu

NoS Diet - LOVE It! (vmsurbat)

I just wanted to say a huge TY to vmsurbat, who told me about the NoS Diet on a post I made last week! I have looked at the website and even bought the book to read on my iPad! For someone like me, this diet is totally do-able.

I also joined a "Biggest Loser" - type competition locally. I weighed in and got my body fat reading (ouch!) yesterday. My goal over the 16 weeks of the competition is not to win, but to incorporate some sort of exercise at least 5 days/week, and to lose 25 lbs. Last year's female winner - a good friend of mine - is doing it with me, which helps.

Good luck to everyone trying to get fit in the new year!

You are not the only one, Laurie. I was inspired by the same post and I LOVE the No S diet too. I had never heard about it before (I love these boards for that). I have just cancelled my online WW subscription (which I hadn't really used since Christmas).

I have been doing the No S since whenever it was I read about that it in that post and I have lost weight and it is completely effortless and feels like I could live like this forever- which is th point. Probably easier for me than some, since I already didn't eat sweets much.

WW now seems so...food obsessive. It was good for me in that I recognised I was eating too much. It helped me rein in my eating. However...its a full time job..to count points, record them, plan meals, record them...and think about food all the time. There's a stage when that is useful, but I was over it. The No S diet is so much more practical and less food obsessive. And I love my meals so much more!

You are not the only one, Laurie. I was inspired by the same post and I LOVE the No S diet too. I had never heard about it before (I love these boards for that). I have just cancelled my online WW subscription (which I hadn't really used since Christmas).

I have been doing the No S since whenever it was I read about that it in that post and I have lost weight and it is completely effortless and feels like I could live like this forever- which is th point. Probably easier for me than some, since I already didn't eat sweets much.

WW now seems so...food obsessive. It was good for me in that I recognised I was eating too much. It helped me rein in my eating. However...its a full time job..to count points, record them, plan meals, record them...and think about food all the time. There's a stage when that is useful, but I was over it. The No S diet is so much more practical and less food obsessive. And I love my meals so much more!

I had asked about people's eating habits w/regard to the NoS diet myself a few weeks ago.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232676

There are some more positive results in that thread that are inspiring.

Peela - I also cancelled my WW Online today! It is all but impossible for me to count Pts when I live in another country and eat out often. I am fairly obsessive over getting it "right" and if I can't figure the Pts I get very frustrated and give up. It's too easy for me to "fail" on WW. I also enjoyed success on WW many years ago - for similar reasons. I realized what a portion truly was and that I was eating huge amounts of food. Now I get that, and need something that I can do for life. Like right now - it is mid-afternoon, and I am a bit hungry. I ate what I thought was enough food for lunch but I am making myself wait until dinner. I had a huge glass of water and popped in a piece of gum. And I can do it - I can make it until dinner. Normally I would start stuffing my face with 100 cal. packs (yes packs) or whatever. Now, I simply wait. We're having stir-fry over rice tonight & I I'm looking forward to it!

unsinkable - ty for that thread link. Headed there now!

Peela - I also cancelled my WW Online today! It is all but impossible for me to count Pts when I live in another country and eat out often. I am fairly obsessive over getting it "right" and if I can't figure the Pts I get very frustrated and give up. It's too easy for me to "fail" on WW. I also enjoyed success on WW many years ago - for similar reasons. I realized what a portion truly was and that I was eating huge amounts of food. Now I get that, and need something that I can do for life. Like right now - it is mid-afternoon, and I am a bit hungry. I ate what I thought was enough food for lunch but I am making myself wait until dinner. I had a huge glass of water and popped in a piece of gum. And I can do it - I can make it until dinner. Normally I would start stuffing my face with 100 cal. packs (yes packs) or whatever. Now, I simply wait. We're having stir-fry over rice tonight & I I'm looking forward to it!

unsinkable - ty for that thread link. Headed there now!

Laurie,

I am glad you're finding a way that works for you!

I hope to join you soon in "No-S"ing!

I just wanted to say a huge TY to vmsurbat, who told me about the NoS Diet on a post I made last week! I have looked at the website and even bought the book to read on my iPad! For someone like me, this diet is totally do-able.

I also joined a "Biggest Loser" - type competition locally. I weighed in and got my body fat reading (ouch!) yesterday. My goal over the 16 weeks of the competition is not to win, but to incorporate some sort of exercise at least 5 days/week, and to lose 25 lbs. Last year's female winner - a good friend of mine - is doing it with me, which helps.

Good luck to everyone trying to get fit in the new year!

You are very welcome! I am always glad to steer people towards the sanity of NoS. The good eating habits one cultivates are SOOOOOO helpful longterm.

For example, we've been on furlough for almost three months-- three months with lots of good "once in a blue moon" eating opportunities. Even with the holidays, special times with friends and family, enjoying America-only treats (chips and salsa nearly every day! Woohoo!), I haven't gained a pound. Of course, I haven't lost any, but I haven't been trying to. In contrast, last furlough (3 years ago, pre-NoS) I gained at least 10 lbs in 3 months....

Best wishes on *your* success.

...we've been on furlough for almost three months-- three months with lots of good "once in a blue moon" eating opportunities. Even with the holidays, special times with friends and family, enjoying America-only treats (chips and salsa nearly every day! Woohoo!), I haven't gained a pound. Of course, I haven't lost any, but I haven't been trying to. In contrast, last furlough (3 years ago, pre-NoS) I gained at least 10 lbs in 3 months...

Wow! Congratulations :party: I will be heading home late this summer for two months or so & hope to be able to report the same successes. Thanks again! Loving this diet :D

I've also been doing the No-S diet and love it. I did it last spring and lost about 7 pounds but then fell off it. We were moving and I allowed myself to use all the stress of moving as an excuse to eat badly. I never gained the weight back but didn't lose anymore. I recently started it again and I've lost 2 pounds in a week.

The thing that was the most eye-opening to me was how much I snack normally. With little kids that really need snacks it's easy for me to "just have a bite" when they are snacking. Or when cooking. Or when I'm taking a computer break. Etc. I didn't realize before how much all those snacks, even when they are healthy add up.

I also really like knowing that I can have the weekends to have the extra stuff. I try not to go crazy but it's nice that if there is something I really want I can think "oh, I'll have that Sat" instead of I can't ever have it again.

I also really like knowing that I can have the weekends to have the extra stuff. I try not to go crazy but it's nice that if there is something I really want I can think "oh, I'll have that Sat" instead of I can't ever have it again.

:iagree:

I've been doing the No S diet for the last couple of years without even knowing it. It is exactly how I eat and I have no trouble maintaining my weight while eating this way. The only additional thing I do is to make sure I eat some protein at each meal and try to stick to whole grains.

Lisa

The thing that was the most eye-opening to me was how much I snack normally. With little kids that really need snacks it's easy for me to "just have a bite" when they are snacking. Or when cooking. Or when I'm taking a computer break. Etc. I didn't realize before how much all those snacks, even when they are healthy add up.

I agree....and I think WW actually taught me to snack more. I would do the points and realize I could eat a little more since I was under my point level. Then when I reached close to my goal I relaxed on counting points and the weight gradually crept back on. (over a 3 year span) I need to lose about 25 now. Sigh.

Another thing that happened was that I had sever lower back pain - and after my PT we realized it was my workouts that was causing it...oh, and pushing a grocery cart through the store (of all things). I no longer push (I pull) and I quit doing my workouts and the lower back pain is almost gone. It was so bad it would wake me up at night. Sooooo all that to say I had to find something else to do for my workouts.

My dh bought me an elliptical for Christmas...so I am hoping with the NoS Diet and the elliptical that I will start to lose weight again. Oh..and the elliptical doesn't hurt my back :) but dumb butt here does forget to pull the grocery cart (when full) instead of push and that does.

I read about it in that same thread and started a week ago. I have been exercising also and lost 4 pounds. I, too, am doing a Biggest Loser competition - online though - with friends. It helps keep me accountable to my exercise!!!

I'm learning to control my food instead of letting it control me. :)

I agree....and I think WW actually taught me to snack more.

In retrospect, this is my experience too. I had been doing WW for several months but I was food obsessed...just waiting for my next meal or snack, or counting the last one, always thinking how many points for this or that. Always thinking about food. And then when ProPoints came in, and I could snack on fruit...although it felt very freeing, I felt I was eating all day long. And really, I was.

My habits fro WW are still around, in my choice of foods, although I am not counting points anymore. I eat healthy anyway but its hard to hoe into a half or whole avocado any more- I will more likely have a 1/4 on my salad.

But I am no longer food obsessed, and I enjoy my meals much more because I am eating a good amount- whatever I feel to eat- and also its much easier to just eat what everyone esle is eating. Whether I lose weight or not, I dont know..I dont really need to any more but I did lose 1/2 kg on the first week of No S- but I can see why people need to keep going on diets- as soon as you go off it, of course you will put weight back on, especialyl if you snack. I need to maintain now (although if I lose some more I wont complain) and I am so glad I found No S at the right time.