Menu

Need a thick, chunky recipe for potato soup...help please!

German Potato Soup

I double this recipe. In ( ) are the amounts that I use when doubling, some aren’t quite doubled.

3(6) medium potatoes, peeled and diced

2(4) medium carrots, peeled and diced

1 ½(4) cups water

1 tsp salt (I don’t add this)

¼(1/2) tsp pepper

1 medium onion, chopped (I use a large one)

2(4) chicken bouillon (I’ve used beef, tasted fine)

2(3) stalks celery, chopped

3 tbl butter or margarine (I do not double this at all)

2(3) tbl flour

1 ½(3) cups milk

1 ½ tsp (3) dried parsley

1/8(1/4) tsp dried thyme

paprika for garnish

Place potatoes, carrots, water, salt (optional), pepper and bouillon in saucepan (large saucepan if you double) and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile in a separate large saucepan, sauté onions and celery in butter until onion starts to turn clear. Stir flour into cooked onion mixture. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Add the potato/carrot/broth mixture to the thickened onion/milk mixture. Mix in parsley and thyme. Stir until well blended and heated through. Garnish with paprika. Makes four servings, if you do not double.

**Feel free to add chopped bacon, chopped ham, corn, cream-corn or cheese to this soup.

I recently saw an episode of Good Eats where he made cheese soup. What I took from it and adapted to my corn chowder recipe is this: After I brown the bacon and onions I sprinkle on a couple Tbs of flour and constantly stir--sort of like making a roux. Then add the warm milk and the other ingredients (for my soup I use cream corn and potatoes). At first the soup will still be thin, but it will thicken up as it simmers. I really like doing it this way now instead of making it with mashed potatoes or by making a thickener with flour and adding it in afterward.

I just made this one last week. It has beans too, but it's good. It's creamy and healthy, too:

Bean and Potato Soup

¾ lb fully cooked ham, cubed

1 medium onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 Tbsp butter

2 cans (16 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained

3 cups chicken broth

2 cups water

1 cup peeled diced potatoes

¾ cup diced carrots

¾ cup diced celery

¼ tsp pepper

½ cup frozen peas

2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley

In a 3 quart saucepan, saute ham, onion and garlic in butter until onion is tender.

Add the next seven ingredients; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Add peas and cook for 5 minutes. Add parsley and serve.

I just put a pot on the stove about an hour ago. I start with a white sauce base of 1 Tbsp butter, 1 Tbsp flour, 1 C milk per person. I season with S&P, celery salt and parsley. Then I add chopped onion and celery, and one diced potato per person. I throw in mushrooms if I have any. If I have clams, I also add a can or two with the juice, just to give it a hint of a clam chowder flavor. Bacon or ham are good to throw in if you aren't doing clams and want to have some kind of meaty flavor. We garnish with extra sharp cheddar at the table. Yummm!

While my starting measurements are per person, this usually ends up lasting us for at least 2 dinners, and maybe a bit left for someone to have for lunch another day.

Edited by HLDoll
Added:

Here's one we like:

Potato Chowder

2 c. peeled, diced potatoes

1/2 c. diced carrots

1/2 c. diced celery

1/4 c. chopped onion

1 tsp. salt

1/4 c. butter

2 c. milk

1/4 c. all-purpose flour

2 cans corn, drained

2-1/2 c. shredded Cheddar

Place first five ingredients in a large pot with water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Drain off water. Meanwhile, combine butter, milk, and all-purpose flour in small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir constantly until smooth and thick. Pour milk mixture into cooked vegetables. Stir in corn and cheese until cheese is melted. Serve.