Menu

s/o craft thread: Any new skill goals for 2011?

I am going to actually learn to cook. I slap together stuff, and I can make bread/brownies/cookies but really, my husband is a much better cook. I am more of the boil water, add spaghetti type of cook. I bought two nintendo DS cartridges (not really games) involving cooking, (I just learned how to cut up a tomato from one, I had no idea you should squeeze out the seeds) and I am bookmarking youtube videos on techniques.

I bought my first cast iron pan and am saving up Jewel stickers to pick up another covered pan. Most my cookware is hand-me-down discount store nonstick.

It's actually embarrassing how little I know about food prep! I was raised mostly by my father though, and his idea of cooking was either fast food or heh, boiling a pasta.

I'm going to learn new knitting stitches. I can knit and purl, and was starting to learn slip stitch when I had to put it away. Now I've forgotten what I had learned about slip stitching, so that's probably going to be my project for February.

I'm also going to have a go at ribbon embroidery later in the year. I've never tried that.

:)

Rosie

Because of Rosie in the other thread I have been looking through naalbinding sites and I am very excited about it. I think this is something the kids and I can learn together too. I have a friend who does the medieval festivals in full kit so I will have to ask her if she knows how to do it.

Apart from that, I want to continue to learn to cross stitch. I've only started a few weeks ago so it is a new year thing too :)

Knitting, I need to learn, or re-learn how to knit again.

I want to sew clothes for the kids and myself. It is one of the things where I am extravagant, totally OTT to be honest, and I would like to cut back the spending while dressing my children well. I have been going to the local haberdashery for the last few months and buying the fabric, ribbon etc on sale and have built up a great collection for not a lot of money. Now I need the skills and time to put it all together!

Actually, socks are fairly easy once someone has walked you through them. I took a class and it was well worth the money. Not to mention my dds won't take the socks off that I knit for them and keep begging for me to make more.

But what I want to learn to do is cables and I want to make my first sweater.:001_smile:

Actually, socks are fairly easy once someone has walked you through them. I took a class and it was well worth the money. Not to mention my dds won't take the socks off that I knit for them and keep begging for me to make more.

But what I want to learn to do is cables and I want to make my first sweater.:001_smile:

The local knitting store is offering a sock class in March. I think that I need to sign up.

I'm learning naalbinding, going to work on my tatting skills, and may pick up Irish lace. I have 2 lace shawls to knit. I usually shy away from knitting lace because it's complex and I have little ones that try to talk to me while I'm counting. But I'm going to get these two done this year.

I'm going to teach dd1 to knit in the round and help her build new knitting and crocheting skills. Help dd2 to continue with crochet and hopefully get her to knit something. Later in the year will teach ds to knit with needles. Right now we're finger knitting

Agree with others that sock knitting is not that hard. I actually taught myself, but it took a lot of persistence and a willingness to trust the pattern and rip back when things weren't coming together. Once you see how the sock is constructed and why you're doing certain steps it becomes that much easier. I love knitting socks.

My challenge is to knit a whole sweater. I've tried a couple times to knit one for dd--once when she was 2, then again when she was 4. She's 6 now and I'm not going to try to make her one. I'm going to make one for dh--I've had the yarn for a couple years now but keep putting it off.

Really? That is very encouraging. It truly is something I've always wished I can do. I am probably a Beginning-Intermediate level knitter and can handle many type of stitches, and have completed projects but they have always been simple shapes. Once I start getting into more complex shapes I start to get nervous. :tongue_smilie: If I may ask, how did you find out about the class? Thank you. :)

The local knitting store is offering a sock class in March. I think that I need to sign up.

I need to see if I have a knitting store nearby. I think this would be a very worthy goal for me for 2011. It's seriously a skill I have always wished I possessed. It's just so practical. :)