Menu

Who has read Charlotte Mason's complete series?

Mommy22alyns

I have all 6 books and have read the first 2, but I'm starting to get bogged down in the third book. If you've read the whole series, do you recommend it or would you say that another book distills things better? FWIW, I'm not planning on going all-out CM, but I'd like to incorporate some of her ideas.

I have all 6 books and have read the first 2, but I'm starting to get bogged down in the third book. If you've read the whole series, do you recommend it or would you say that another book distills things better? FWIW, I'm not planning on going all-out CM, but I'd like to incorporate some of her ideas.

I've read volumes 1, 3, and 6. I think those are the key ones to understanding her philosophy and practice. Volume 6 in particular was written several years (decades?) after the earlier ones and so she's had time to reflect on on how things have been worked out in the PNEU schools.

They are a bit much to chew on. I've not read them all either. I've attended 2 conferences on CM, read of course what everyone else had to say about her and her methods, and been using it in our homeschool for over 10 years. Picking up pieces from the books as I've gone along. I can't see NOT ever using her methods. Our homeschool has become so much more interesting and relaxed.

I've read volumes 1, 3, and 6. I think those are the key ones to understanding her philosophy and practice. Volume 6 in particular was written several years (decades?) after the earlier ones and so she's had time to reflect on on how things have been worked out in the PNEU schools.

I completely agree with you.

In fact, depending on the ages of your kids, you might only need to read one of them. Vol 1 covers young kids; vol 3 older kids. Given the ages you have listed, Mommy22alyns, I think you could safely hold off on vol 3, and just read vol 1 for now.

I initially bought a complete set and flipped through them all and found them fairly overwhelming. I then sold the set and repurchased the volumes [used] as desired (initially vol 1 and 6 and only recently vol 3). I actually read them then.

I found volume 2 and 5 (basically on parenting and morals) to be .... not very much what I wanted to get CM's opinion on, frankly. I was glad to pass them along, as I didn't really see myself using them.

I have the 6 book complete series also but have only read part of the first. I did not get to them for many and various reasons last year but they are on my list for this year after I am done my research on Montessori and her method :). Not easy reads but I prefer getting the methods from the people that developed them first, not just those that came to explain them at a later date.

I did, but it was many years ago, and I just remember bits and pieces. I say to read them, but take good notes. I've re-read pieces of a few of them, but I wish I had takes notes.

It's so important to read her original writings, though, even if just a few of her books. Once Charlotte Mason became popular, the label was tossed on everything, even if it was completely opposite of CM. It's good to be able to read the derivative works and pick out what is right and what is wrong, and to be able to spot curriculum that have nothing to do with CM other than using real books.

I did, but it was many years ago, and I just remember bits and pieces. I say to read them, but take good notes. I've re-read pieces of a few of them, but I wish I had takes notes.

It's so important to read her original writings, though, even if just a few of her books. Once Charlotte Mason became popular, the label was tossed on everything, even if it was completely opposite of CM. It's good to be able to read the derivative works and pick out what is right and what is wrong, and to be able to spot curriculum that have nothing to do with CM other than using real books.

:iagree:

I read all of them when my oldest was 3, so it has been some time now. I took notes to distill the concepts of importance to me. I think it is worth the effort.