Menu

I Just Took the ToG Plunge!

BBG580

I'm a little nervous to be $200 in (print + DE) for Year 2/ Units 3 and 4 with no supporting books but I figured if I bought now, started familiarizing myself with the curriculum, tried to use the library for the rhetoric level reading/assignments for myself over the next several months I'd get a better idea and confidence to use this curriculum! And it would give me the time to figure out which books I need to purchase, which we will skip and which we can get out from the library. We're going half pace and I'd like to have a basic outline of lesson plans for both units accomplished prior to the start of our school year (Aug. 1), understanding that I can adjust but at least having those basic plans in place. I did buy Map Aids, the lapbook kits for each unit, Student Activities and Evaluations.

The mom on this board with the workbook instructions on their blog - THANK YOU. I will be using your template to create a workbook for my kiddo to use in the fall. http://web.me.com/rivendellpress/Rivendell_Academy/Workbooks.html

I am also going to take the next several months to try and reorganize the Church History portion of the curriculum to reflect RC theology and history. A lot of legwork now but I know I will be happy later when things get busier with older kids and I already have some idea of how to adjust the curriculum to suit our family's needs. I know I am only going to have a 6 year old 1st grader but this is all new to me and I like to be prepared... :)

I'm not actually sure why I am posting this other than that I am excited and have no one I can talk to about it in real life! So please cheering squad, cheer me on. :lol:

Hooray for both of you who are starting TOG while your children are young! I'm sure this will pay huge dividends in the junior high and high school years. We are on our 4th year of TOG (mine are in 9th, 7th and K) and I too made workbooks using that blog. Using them has made all the difference in my staying organized and "on track"

Good luck to you, and enjoy the journey!

Melanie

I've had my Yr. 1 since the summer. I'm just now digging in. LOL

I enjoy the way the DE is set up. I'm usually a "hold it in my hands" girl which is why I got the print, and I am glad I have the print, but the DE is pretty cool. Have fun ! Congratulations!

I'm a little nervous to be $200 in (print + DE) for Year 2/ Units 3 and 4 with no supporting books but I figured if I bought now, started familiarizing myself with the curriculum, tried to use the library for the rhetoric level reading/assignments for myself over the next several months I'd get a better idea and confidence to use this curriculum! And it would give me the time to figure out which books I need to purchase, which we will skip and which we can get out from the library. We're going half pace and I'd like to have a basic outline of lesson plans for both units accomplished prior to the start of our school year (Aug. 1), understanding that I can adjust but at least having those basic plans in place. I did buy Map Aids, the lapbook kits for each unit, Student Activities and Evaluations.

The mom on this board with the workbook instructions on their blog - THANK YOU. I will be using your template to create a workbook for my kiddo to use in the fall. http://web.me.com/rivendellpress/Rivendell_Academy/Workbooks.html

I am also going to take the next several months to try and reorganize the Church History portion of the curriculum to reflect RC theology and history. A lot of legwork now but I know I will be happy later when things get busier with older kids and I already have some idea of how to adjust the curriculum to suit our family's needs. I know I am only going to have a 6 year old 1st grader but this is all new to me and I like to be prepared... :)

I'm not actually sure why I am posting this other than that I am excited and have no one I can talk to about it in real life! So please cheering squad, cheer me on. :lol:

WOOT! WOOT! I SO wish I would have discoverd TOG when mine were little. I am happy for you (both) to get your feet wet early. Enjoy!

Yeah for you!! We are doing the same year and units right now and I LOVE it! I have an LG (super fun!) and a D/R. The notes are a wealth of information and I love reading them. Our library has many of the titles, but the themes/topics are laid out so well that it is easy to substitute, especially if you have read the notes and highlighted answers to questions.

Have fun!!!

I'll be excited with you!!!! I've known I wanted to use TOG for years!! I plan to buy it over my son's K year so I have that year to wrap my head around it before starting in 1st grade. I can't wait!! Plus, buying it early means you won't have the big TOG expense for the upper grades, when the books are more important to have.

:hurray: We started when dd was 6 and TOG has been the highlight of our day.

This makes me even more excited!

The great thing is--with the actual curriculum purchased, I can piece together the books over the next several months, and the lapbooks too. The map aids came with the set so I don't have to get those separately.

Funny how ToG makes me so giddy!

The great thing is--with the actual curriculum purchased, I can piece together the books over the next several months, and the lapbooks too. The map aids came with the set so I don't have to get those separately.

Funny how ToG makes me so giddy!

This is what I did! Actually, because I started so early I have gotten lots of books off of paperbackswap for TOG. I don't think that if I had bought TOG right before I would have been able to do that. I also do Swagbucks, and I use my amazon cards to purchase books that I don't get off of PBS.

This is what I did! Actually, because I started so early I have gotten lots of books off of paperbackswap for TOG. I don't think that if I had bought TOG right before I would have been able to do that. I also do Swagbucks, and I use my amazon cards to purchase books that I don't get off of PBS.

Thanks for the ideas! I'm going to check it out.

We are seriously considering TOG. I had never heard of it until recently on these boards. I know we still need to do a separate math and science. What about grammar/phonics? and spelling? Is that included?

I think the only thing holding me back right now is that I just bought a bunch of books for U.S. History that I don't think are included in TOG. The books are really excellent, and I don't want to waste money(done enough of that). Hmmm...

We are seriously considering TOG. I had never heard of it until recently on these boards. I know we still need to do a separate math and science. What about grammar/phonics? and spelling? Is that included?

I think the only thing holding me back right now is that I just bought a bunch of books for U.S. History that I don't think are included in TOG. The books are really excellent, and I don't want to waste money(done enough of that). Hmmm...

If they are really excellent, you can either keep them and fit them in like the alternative booklist for TOG (and check to make sure they aren't ON the alternative list, lol) or if you really like the look of TOG you can always sell them here.

LA is included but not phonics and grammar. We are using PR1 and Math Mammoth with Orange Miquon in addition to ToG. I am choosing to not use a formal science curriculum for 1st grade but just focus on our year round gardening to introduce basic biology and the life cycle of plants. But you could add in a science program as well if you wished.

HTH!

• 4 weeks later...
Year 1. I purchased it a few months ago and am collecting books for all years and levels now! We are pretty committed to doing it at this point....just been trying to decide WHEN to start! I am excited!

I am excied too. So excited, I went with the time period we r on and we r just starting. :D Mine are older though......well some of them. :)

I am so happy to hear the excitement about TOG!

I am new to the board and new to homeschooling too. I was planning on homeschooling my youngest (who will be K-age next year), and while looking for curriculum, absolutely fell in love with TOG. So much so, that we are bringing all 5 of our kids home (from ps) to homeschool next year! I actually found this message board when I was Googling reviews of TOG, and I have found SO much helpful information.

We are starting with Year 1 (which I purchased about a month ago) and I will have 1 R student, 2 D students, 1 UG student, and 1 LG student.

I am SO excited! I even checked out quite a bit of the reading material in all levels from the library just to look it over and the kids took off with all of the books to read for themselves! If that wasn't an endorsement that I made the right decision, I don't know what is :001_smile:

Now to decide on the REST of my curriculum as well as a million other things! Good thing I've got 6-7 months to get it all in order :)

Edited by mandymom

I am so excited to hear the excitement about TOG!

I am new to the board and new to homeschooling too. I was planning on homeschooling my youngest (who will be K-age next year), and while looking for curriculum, absolutely fell in love with TOG. So much so, that we are bringing all 5 of our kids home (from ps) to homeschool next year! I actually found this message board when I was Googling reviews of TOG, and I have found SO much helpful information.

We are starting with Year 1 (which I purchased about a month ago) and I will have 1 R student, 2 D students, 1 UG student, and 1 LG student.

I am SO excited! I even checked out quite a bit of the reading material in all levels from the library just to look it over and the kids took off with all of the books to read for themselves! If that wasn't an endorsement that I made the right decision, I don't know what is :001_smile:

Now to decide on the REST of my curriculum as well as a million other things! Good thing I've got 6-7 months to get it all in order :)

Welcome Mandy! I'm about to start Year 1 in June, and I also live in Texas. PM'ing you. :001_smile:

I just bought TOG 1 to use for 1st grade in the fall. I'm hoping my older girls will be home next year and I'll add in UG and D for them. It seemed a little silly to buy it when I may just use it for 1st grade but I want to study along with the kids. I'm very excited to add in some of the D and R books for myself. I've spent a lot of hours pouring over the guides and I'm very excited about the program.

I hadn't thought of making workbooks for the kids for each unit. I think will try to do that for each level we are using. It would probably help things go smoother when we start in the fall.