Menu

Saxon Math 5/4 question

momto2Cs

We've been using Math Mammoth off and on for the last semester but want to switch back to Saxon Math. My son is in 5/4, which is the first non-consummable math book he has used, and he's worried about copying it all down. So I have a question about how you approach it in your home.

Do you have your dc write out both the problem and the answer, or the answer only?

Paper or dry-erase/whiteboard?

I had though of making him printed worksheets from the text, but this could get pretty time consuming, so I am looking for advice.

TIA!

We use Singapore, but I generally work with my son with the text and let him just say the answer. If he needs to do scratchwork, he writes out what he needs. On some occasions when he's written out all answers when he's worked alone (some review sets from text), he puts the problem number, the answer, and any work he may need.

I use a sheet protector over the page and let him write with a wet erase marker. We were working on paper but the writing really bogged down the math, he was taking an hour and half to finish the mixed practice. Now he can do it in 45 minutes. If he needs more space to figure out a question he'll use the white board.

I'm having the same problem with my son and math 5/4. My husband would have a cow if I had my son write in the book though. Right now I just have him put his answers and any work on a separate page. That gets annoying too though.

I wonder if overhead projector pages and a wet-erase marker would work? But then I couldn't keep it for his record book- whoops.

It's a bit pricey, but we use graph paper. DS has issues keeping his numbers alligned and this has helped tremendously. I come from a family of math teachers, DH included, so all problems have to be written out and work shown. If I can't read, or find, the answer it's wrong. I think it would be good practice to get into now, rather than trying to work out any bad habits later. DH teaches sixth and can't believe the number of kids who won't show their work or erase it after, like it's a bad thing to do so. DS has slowly learned that it's much easier to correct a problem where he's shown his work and made a stupid mistake, then just given me an outright wrong answer.

Dd uses graph paper and I've worked with her a lot on how to organize her papers (writing problem numbers, circling the answer, spaces between problems, etc.). I encourage her to use mental math where she can, so on those problems she is only required to write the answer. On the larger problems where there is trading, I make her write the whole problem even though she wants to try to do it all in her head since she will sometimes make mistakes on those. I don't find the writing to be all that much.

I was worried about this with my first two kids and they both transitioned well into copying down the problems. For a while I had them only doing about half of the problems so that helped as far as the amount of writing. (I had this crazy approach of selecting the problems based on which lesson they were from rather than assigning odds or evens - to make sure they were getting a review of all the lessons). Oh - they only do the mixed practice - not the lesson practice.

My kids use a spiral notebook for the mixed practice and investigations. I copy off the test recording form for their tests, and they usually do the mental math on a dry erase board.

Yep. I buy graph paper for math. By the time they are in 3rd or 4th grade math, they copy out the problems and answer them on that.

This has also helped my DS learn to pay closer attention to what he is doing and being more careful in his work. I can't tell you how many times he has copied problems wrong.:tongue_smilie: There has been some tribulation, but he's getting it and his math has improved a lot.