Menu

How long are your school days?

Ummsamiyah

I don't know if it is because we have to break up the day so I can sleep or if I am lazy but we don't tend to have "school" for very long. I try to limit the time we spend on things so their interest is maintained and we have different extracurriculars every day to mix it up. but if we just like sat and went straight through I don't think our day would be longer than like 4 or 5 hours. is that okay? do you think I should spend more time with them? sometimes we don't even start until 1 or 2 but those days we will ahve discussions until like 9. idk...:glare:

Our school lasts maybe 3 hours for my 10 y/o daughter. Then there's often extra reading on top of that, or educational shows or games or conversations or field trips or extra-curricular activities (she does Girl Scouts, Judo, Book Club, just finished a season of indoor soccer etc), but the curriculum type stuff? Rarely more than 3 hours.

Besides too long, time varies. My day from start of school to finish is about 9 hours. Some days 10. Then there's "my time" which often consists of reading the forum, blogging about school, or reading something for school. I admit, between church, bsa and school, i have no life.

My boys that are 8 spend about 4.5-5.5 hours a day actually grinding out school work, but recess, chores and meals intertwine, so it seems they are schooling more like 7-8. It's a long day.

My 2 middle school girls are much more diligent in their time management and have a 7 hour day. They tend to do their math or history reading in their beds at night. I heart them.

The high school boys....forget about it. They live in school from M-F. That is not only do to courseload, but moreso to poor time management.

It depends on the day and the child. For ME, it feels like I am always doing something school related, whether lesson planning, printing stuff, researching or reading here. My first grader, minus all the dawdling, complaining and general goofing off has about 1.5 -2 hours of actual school work on average. My high schooler 4-6 hours of work, sometimes more, again minus the goofing off.

We go 9-12 for one-on-one stuff (math, language arts). Basically, Jared (7, grade 2) works 9-10:30, Nathan (3, early PK) works 10:30-11, and Hannah (6, grade 1) works 11-12.

Then we break for lunch and recess from 12-1.

When we come back inside at 1, we start again. This time we work on our content subjects. We work from 1-3 doing things like art, music, science, history, etc, etc.

So Jared's sitting and working time is usually 3 1/2 hours total per day.

Hannah's is 3 hours.

Nathan's is 2 1/2 hours.

and my working time is 6 hours for teaching/day.

We have 7:30-11, and then 1-3.

My oldest is pretty much in school this entire time on his "full" days (or if he has make-up work.

My 2nd and 3rd graders are usually done with their morning work by 10am, and then there are some activity-based lessons in the afternoon (science labs, or art, or music)

My Ker will probably be "done" by 10am (and that's only because we do our Bible in the morning. However, she will probably be right by her siblings doing Memory Time... dancing and singing, as well as in the thick of things for any activity-based lessons the olders are doing... but there is nothing formal for her after math, penmanship and phonics.

thanks. i almost felt like i was missing something or i wasn't giving them enough education attention. thanks. we do a lot of activities outside the house; chess club, story club, tae kwondo etc. I almost felt like i was spending more time out then in the house. cool beans thanks.

oh yea, and dd will def read her history book in bed at night. ds will turn on his TT Cd without me even knowing! the only part is lesson planning. i like having everything mapped out, when they do that it kind of throws me!