Menu

Acupuncture for Arthritis?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

My mom suffers terribly from osteoarthritis. She's 76 and cannot take any arthritis meds because they raise the creatine levels in her blood. She's really been in quite a lot of pain lately, and I"m desperately looking for solutions to her pain. It's impacting her life, and it's just not right for her to live with SO much pain every day.

I NEED to get her some relief, but unfortunately, her doctor doesn't seem all that interested. She basically tells her to put heat on it and suck it up. My mom is one tough bird, but she's really, really unable to handle this pain. Vicodin doesn't even touch it.

Mom is a dear woman, and spent her entire working life as an incredibly compassionate and progressive Labor and Delivery nurse in a big inner-city hospital. She's amazing, and it's awful that she can't get some relief from her constant pain.

Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated!

astrid

Not specifically for arthritis, but "our" acupuncturist has seen: my husband for migraines; my swimmer 10 yo for a painfully tight muscle in her back; and my gymnast 13 year old for severe heel pain due to plantar fasciitis. In each case, there was immediate relief from the pain.

I also have a friend who was advised to have surgery for a shoulder problem; an acupuncturist cleared it up.

I would not hesitate to see him for arthritis.

Terri

I'm sorry your mom is in pain. :grouphug:

I think acupuncture could make a big difference. I get it for Lupus, which can feel like what I imagine arthritis to feel like. It works wonders for me physically, and emotionally (in part because I feel my acupuncturist is more in tune with my health than my Rhumy).

She may want to look into acupressure and Tai Ji as well.

Does she do epsom salt baths?

I'm sorry your mom is in pain. :grouphug:

I think acupuncture could make a big difference. I get it for Lupus, which can feel like what I imagine arthritis to feel like. It works wonders for me physically, and emotionally (in part because I feel my acupuncturist is more in tune with my health than my Rhumy).

She may want to look into acupressure and Tai Ji as well.

Does she do epsom salt baths?

No, she doesn't do epsom salt baths. It's mostly her neck; do you think it would help to soak a towel in ES and water and then apply it with a hotpack?

Her doctor doesn't seem all that interested. She basically tells her to put heat on it and suck it up.

astrid

Get your mother another doctor, one who CARES about old people. Suck it up, indeed! This makes me so indignant, I could spit at the screen.

It's true that many people live with pain, but you can be on a mission to provide your mother some RELIEF. Even if the pain is still mostly there, ANY relief is welcome to a person in chronic pain. Anything that takes the edge off, even for a while, is welcome. Ask me how I know.

Relief is what helps me manage my pain. Relief is what offers hope. Relief is needed in order to rest enough to have strength for the next lap of pain. Even if you can't find a cure, any relief is welcome and worth fighting for.

Some things that help me:

Massage with ointments, such as baby oil + Vicks cream + Aspercreme

Moist heat treatments = not just a heating pad, but the kind of heat treatment that uses moist heat. It gets in deeper and is so nice. You might need to inquire with a physical therapy practice, see if you can get some treatments for your mother.

http://www.rehaboutlet.com/hot_packs.htm

http://www.rehaboutlet.com/hydrocollator_heating_units.htm

Go to a medical supply store, and snoop around. ;) You'd be surprised what you CAN get without a prescription, lots of helpful things. It's not all snake oil.

Movement = not anything jarring, but gentle movement. It's not good to be too inactive with arthritis. We stiffen. If possible, keep your mother moving.

Anti-inflammatory supplements = I've been working with flax seed, fish oil, drinking lots of water, vitamins C & E, turmeric, ginger (just eat Indian food), and zinc.

http://www.stopagingnow.com/liveinthenow/article/10-anti-inflammatory-supplements-that-work

I was surprised that I could actually manage some of my inflammation in this way. My joints do respond (somewhat) to this management.

Anti-inflammatory diet = Well, I tried this "Nightshade Free" diet, but I didn't notice any difference. But your mother might. It's worth a try.

http://www.nightshadefree.com/

I've never tried acupuncture. Let us know if it works. :grouphug: Bless you as you try to help your mother.

Edited by Sahamamama

Get your mother another doctor, one who CARES about old people. Suck it up, indeed! This makes me so indignant, I could spit at the screen.

It's true that many people live with pain, but you can be on a mission to provide your mother some RELIEF. Even if the pain is still mostly there, ANY relief is welcome to a person in chronic pain. Anything that takes the edge off, even for a while, is welcome. Ask me how I know.

Relief is what helps me manage my pain. Relief is what offers hope. Relief is needed in order to rest enough to have strength for the next lap of pain. Even if you can't find a cure, any relief is welcome and worth fighting for.

Some things that help me:

Massage with ointments, such as baby oil + Vicks cream + Aspercreme

Moist heat treatments = not just a heating pad, but the kind of heat treatment that uses moist heat. It gets in deeper and is so nice. You might need to inquire with a physical therapy practice, see if you can get some treatments for your mother.

Go to a medical supply store, and snoop around. ;) You'd be surprised what you CAN get without a prescription, lots of helpful things. It's not all snake oil.

Movement = not anything jarring, but gentle movement. It's not good to be too inactive with arthritis. We stiffen. If possible, keep your mother moving.

Anti-inflammatory supplements = I've been working with flax seed, fish oil, drinking lots of water, vitamins C & E, turmeric, ginger (just eat Indian food), and zinc.

http://www.stopagingnow.com/liveinthenow/article/10-anti-inflammatory-supplements-that-work

I was surprised that I could actually manage some of my inflammation in this way. My joints do respond (somewhat) to this management.

Anti-inflammatory diet = Well, I tried this "Nightshade Free" diet, but I didn't notice any difference. But your mother might. It's worth a try.

http://www.nightshadefree.com/

I've never tried acupuncture. Let us know if it works. :grouphug: Bless you as you try to help your mother.

Thanks SO much, Sahamamama! I"m going to look into ALL of these.

I know--- "suck it up"-- I cannot tell you how angry this attitude has made me over the years. Trouble is, this dr. is a GP and is maybe 50 years old. She has had childhood/rheumatoid arthritis her whole life, so she's not very sympathetic, I don't feel, and mom "feels bad about complaining to her...."

The Dr.'s attitude absolutely ENRAGES me. Mom is stubborn about switching doctors, though. I've decided that my New Year's Resolution is to get her some relief-- her pain is so impacting her life, and she's become quite debilitated from it. She uses a cane when she's out, but needs to in the house. She won't-- just walks around holding on to furniture, doorknobs, anything she can reach, like a baby who is "cruising." I was able to get her a handicapped parking permit last year, but the dr. was so grudging about it I wanted to literally smack her. Mom literally cannot walk without aid. Her left foot is completely cocked out to the side so she is literally walking on the inside of her ankle bone. When she stands, I can see 3/4 of the bottom sole of her left shoe. THAT, PLUS terrible osteoarthritis. Yeah--- no need for a handicapped sticker. :001_huh:

Anyway, apologies for the rant-- I've just HAD IT UP TO HERE! with this doc.

astrid

No, she doesn't do epsom salt baths. It's mostly her neck; do you think it would help to soak a towel in ES and water and then apply it with a hotpack?

Oh my gosh! My face went hot when I read your response. My little one has chronic neck pain..... and it never dawned on me to put the salt on a towel and apply it directly to her neck.

:huh:

Heres a little thing I found: Epsom-salt Packs

Recommended for arthritis, neuritis, paralysis, back pain, gastritis, colitis, infections and kidney problems. Dissolve Epsom salts in hot water to make a saturated solution, soak a cloth in it and apply hot. Keep warm with a hot-water bottle. Alternatively, Epsom salts may be spread liberally on a hot wet cloth and applied. Leave on for one or two hours; repeat as required.

Thank you :001_smile:

Thank you for these links!

Yes!

My step father has severe arthritis and particularly terrible knee problems. He's 86 with other serious health issues (congestive heart failure, blood pressure problems, recurring pre-cancer cells on his skin) so balancing medications is tricky. Narcotic pain meds mess him up big time.

He has had much pain relief with acu and it hasn't interfered with his other meds. Find a practitioner who has an attitude of working with Western medicine not ignoring it. Also, acupuncture is not a quick fix - it is a rebalancing of your whole system and is gentle and works gradually. You will most likely feel some immediate effects, but long term success requires ongoing treatment.

I have had excellent results with acu for back pain (lumbar disc problems including severe sciatica) and for infertility (two healthy babies, now preschoolers!)

I've decided that my New Year's Resolution is to get her some relief-- her pain is so impacting her life, and she's become quite debilitated from it. She uses a cane when she's out, but needs to in the house. She won't-- just walks around holding on to furniture, doorknobs, anything she can reach, like a baby who is "cruising." I was able to get her a handicapped parking permit last year, but the dr. was so grudging about it I wanted to literally smack her. Mom literally cannot walk without aid. Her left foot is completely cocked out to the side so she is literally walking on the inside of her ankle bone. When she stands, I can see 3/4 of the bottom sole of her left shoe.

Honestly, I would not start with acupuncture. I would look for a physiatrist. Here's a link in case you are not familiar with this specialty:

http://www.aapmr.org/condtreat/what.htm

So glad that something I posted here may help. :001_smile: I wanted to come back and add that, while I hate to admit it, sugar is my enemy. I really, really, really have to avoid sugar. As in, the sugar I like in my tea. :D Sigh. I think that sugar contributes to inflammation in the body. And inflammation is what destroys my joints.

Another thought I had in managing the pain of osteoarthritis was how beneficial it has been for me to have regular sleep and wake times. I have no idea why this is, but over the 20 or so years I've dealt with it, I've noticed that regular sleep hours (whatever they are) have been a good thing for my body.

A final factor, if you pray, is prayer. HTH.

Have her check with her rheumatologist to see if she has polymyalgia rheumatica. Painful as hel*. It is not of chronic duration , very, very common in her age group. They suspected that I had it . Nope . RA. In any event pain is not acceptable.