Menu

Should I or shouldn't I?

Should I put out the presents I spent hours upon hours wrapping with a 2yo around?  

1. 1. Should I put out the presents I spent hours upon hours wrapping with a 2yo around?

• Yes, go for it- enjoy the beautiful tree full of gifts while you can
    • No, most 2yo are not capable of not opening everything & you'll regret it
    • Other, this is what I think you should do instead...

So, our tree is up, but the presents are not under it. I really *love* the look of a tree full of presents, kwim? :001_wub: There's just something peaceful about it and gosh I spent *hours* painstakingly wrapping those presents and picking out bows and ribbons and I want to enjoy them before they get ripped to shreds in 3 days.

Thing is, I have Mr. 2yo to contend with. If you've read my past posts you know he's quite the handful... *but* he's not a mean-spirited child and I'm not convinced he'd get into the gifts if I told him not to. I bought him his own Playmobil Advent calendar this year, and he's had absolutely *no* problem with not opening all the boxes until the appropriate day (much to my surprise, not a single tantrum or tear was shed over having to wait for a new box each day despite the fact that I hung the calendar at his eye level). He didn't open any of his siblings' Advent calendars either ;) (again all hung at his level).

Part of me thinks I can put out the gifts and it'll be fine but the other part of me is stressed that it could ruin everything. He is only 2 after all.

The older kids are suggesting I gate off the tree with baby gates, but I really think that would ruin the look I'm hoping for. :tongue_smilie: Not only that but I think if the little guy couldn't even touch the wrapped presents, he'd be more likely to get into more mischief.

Sigh. I know I know my kids better than anybody else, but I'm wondering if y'all think I'm completely crazy for even considering putting out the gifts with a 2yo in the house?

well my kids are teens now and a child's temperament is just that

my oldest never bothered the tree or ornaments but my second son couldn't keep from touching stuff, he destroyed half the ornaments on the tree, took out a few of my Christmas village, and my train, and took all the name tags off the presents, lets just say he was a hand full, he is now 13 and I still remind him every year about all the wonderful Christmas ornaments and decor I had before he "struck":D

Its funny because he went years as the typical boy, always touching, exploring and destroying before he out grew it. My DH says he has cost us a fortune in broken stuff but he is now all grown up and I miss my "little guy"

you know your little one, will anything survive;)

well my kids are teens now and a child's temperament is just that

my oldest never bothered the tree or ornaments but my second son couldn't keep from touching stuff, he destroyed half the ornaments on the tree, took out a few of my Christmas village, and my train, and took all the name tags off the presents, lets just say he was a hand full, he is now 13 and I still remind him every year about all the wonderful Christmas ornaments and decor I had before he "struck":D

Its funny because he went years as the typical boy, always touching, exploring and destroying before he out grew it. My DH says he has cost us a fortune in broken stuff but he is now all grown up and I miss my "little guy"

you know your little one, will anything survive;)

Well, I *did* lose at least a dozen ornaments to him last year. :glare: I'd forgotten about that. Maybe if he ruins all the gifts this year, I'll forget by next year? :001_huh:

So, I keep asking him, "Will you open the presents if I put them out?". He grins and says, "Yes." :lol: So, I say, "no, no you won't. We don't open them until Christmas, you understand."

"Yes, I understand." (big grin)

Mommy: So will you open the presents if I put them out?

2yo: Yes!

:001_huh::lol::lol:

We've had this conversation a few times now. :lol: I think maybe I'll start with a few and see how they last. :tongue_smilie:

when we were young kids, my mom would put the gifts that were going to someone else under the tree to give it that Christmas-y look...and it certainly didn't take us long to figure out that NONE of the gifts were for us...so we left them alone...with that said...we don't do that becasue my husband grew up with the tradition that waiting for those presents and looking at the "lonely" tree was all part of the anticiapation of Christmas....so we set up our geo-trax train under the tree instead.

when we were young kids, my mom would put the gifts that were going to someone else under the tree to give it that Christmas-y look...and it certainly didn't take us long to figure out that NONE of the gifts were for us...so we left them alone...with that said...we don't do that becasue my husband grew up with the tradition that waiting for those presents and looking at the "lonely" tree was all part of the anticiapation of Christmas....so we set up our geo-trax train under the tree instead.

Oh, that's a really great idea!!

We normally don't put gifts under until Christmas Eve for the same reason you mentioned your husband waits, but the last couple of years I was a bit disappointed that the gifts were only out for a few hours, then sleep, then gone. I'd like to enjoy them a bit longer this year, if possible. ;)

When my kiddos were littles, I took large boxes, filled them with books so they'd be heavy and wrapped them in bright wrapping paper. Then I placed them around the tree and put all of the other presents behind. It made a festive kid barrier. I had a re-wrap the large boxes a coulpe times, but I got to put the gifts around the tree, which brought joy to my heart. And it looked lovely! :)

Cat