Menu

Blue willow china

I "inherited" a rather large collection of Blue Willow china. :)

I didn't realize it was a popular collector's item. :confused:

I don't like it. :001_huh:

I'm wondering if I should sell mine to finance my move? :bigear:

Or maybe I should videotape myself standing in front of it while talking about foreclosure so people can shout "Sell the Blue Willow and Get a Job". :lol:

I "inherited" a rather large collection of Blue Willow china. :)

I didn't realize it was a popular collector's item. :confused:

I don't like it. :001_huh:

I'm wondering if I should sell mine to finance my move? :bigear:

Or maybe I should videotape myself standing in front of it while talking about foreclosure so people can shout "Sell the Blue Willow and Get a Job". :lol:

Definitely.

I started buying a Mikasa pattern before I was married. By the time DS was 8, DH and I hated it. It was also discontinued and rather "hot" on the secondary market. Who knew. I sold the lot of it on e-bay and paid some bills. No regrets here. Go on wit yo' bad self, Joanne!

a

I'd sell it in a heartbeat! I've got my mother's listed on craig's list, but there's a lot of china listed there and even though I had it priced for a steal, around $100 with others listed at $450 and up, it didn't move. I don't know anything about ebay, but I'm sure you can post it there. Remember to really add in shipping, because if they aren't local, the packing and shipping is going to be pretty high. But local pickup is another option.

Post it quick because you never know, someone may suddendly decide, or they were voluntold they were doing christmas dinner and may think they suddenly need china. That's the best buyer! Someone as desperate and short on time to buy, as you are to sell!

If it is really popular, check with Replacementsltd.com. They buy china and are a great source for replacing one broken piece or adding to sets. But again it's the shipping that will get you.

Do you have any household consignment shops? If you do, I'd try that route. Not the fastest way to make money, but in the end you wouldn't have to deal with shipping and it would be out of your house for moving. Some things, even if you can't make any money off them, just aren't worth keeping, especially through a move.

As nice as my mom's is, with the economy and people's feelings about china anymore, I just don't see anyone buying it. Even at the super cheap, just get it out of here price. Truthfully, if I could find a young couple that really wanted china but felt like they couldn't justify registering, I'd give it to them. I want it gone, but I don't want to just give it to Good Will. I want it gone to someone who will actually use it. There is a good chance it will land on freecycle in the next 6 months.

H

My uncle gave my motherr some of that stuff. She brought it here in the RV during that trip. I think I have it in my basement. Hmmm... I suppose if you don't want it, I can ask my mom if she wants more of it if you are willing to sell it.

It will probably end up stored in my basement for years. :glare:

PM me with the particulars if you are interested.

There is a hot market on e-bay for my china pattern, which was discoutinued about a month before I got married. You cannot win an auction for my china unless you sit there and bid at the very last second. It helps if you are willing to shell out some serious cash.

I've bought tons of my china on e-bay over the years, mostly from individuals, and not one single piece has ever arrived broken. So don't be scared of shipping china.

Terri

I say sell it. My sister and I are trying to sell two Hummels (trademark 2 which is a big deal) that we inherited. We felt guilty for about 2 seconds, then we started spending the money in our heads and the guilt went away. Unfortunately, Hummels, even the hold ones like ours, are not worth what they were about 20 years ago.

I've also toyed with selling my china. It's a Wedgwood pattern that is no longer sold in the U.S. I only have 8 place settings, and they are just going to end up broken and I won't be willing to spend to have the replacements sent from England. If I sell it I will replace it with Fiestaware in all sorts of wonderful colors!

Good luck!

Sell it!

Here's my Christmas-time rationale. When the wise men visited the Christ child, they brought him expensive gifts. Shortly thereafter, Joseph took the family and fled to Egypt at the Lord's prompting. It's not spelled out in the Bible, but I'm willing to bet that the sale of those goods financed that move.

Count it as a blessing and use it in the way that best meets your family's needs.

For a popular pattern like that, I'd at least try it on craigslist first, that way you avoid shipping costs. If it won't go for the price you hope, then eBay it. I have had great success with china on eBay. Just be sure to cover the costs of shipping something heavily cushioned, and with insurance. To get an idea of price, you can check similar items or look at replacements.com prices. They will email you an offer to buy if you ask for one. I find that they offer only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the price at which they'll retail it. I've used this info to set a price on eBay; I like to split the difference. That way I get more than they'd have given me, plus the buyer pays shipping, yet I can undercut the other sellers and move my item.