Menu

Can we do a FAVORITE BOOKS of 2010 thread yet?

The book by David Platt is SO GOOD because it is, IMHO, the perfect blend of sound doctrine and social gospel. I have read books about the social gospel that were a whole lotta social and not much gospel, ya know? Then, of course, there are plenty of books on sound doctrine. But this one combines the two in a way I have not seen before. He really gives a good doctrinal basis for being involved in social gospel projects but for gospel reasons. OK, I am rambling...just read it. :tongue_smilie:

It's first on my list for 2011 thanks to you and a couple of reviews! I'm in need of something deep to challenge my faith to grow. It's been a slump year in so many ways.

My favorite book this year is Stand in the Trench, Achilles by Elisabeth Vandiver. A rather in depth look at Classical references in WWI poetry. Three things (Classics, War Poets, and Liz) I love all collided together. Ahhhhhhhhhh.

Ooh, I must find that! I've been loving her Iliad and Odyssey lectures from Teaching Company.

Fiction: this might be cheating a bit, because I read it along with DS, but, for real, it was way better than any grown-up fiction I read this year: Tuck Everlasting

Non-fiction: Don't Sleep; There are Snakes by Daniel Everett

Edited by kokotg
uhh, because Tess is my cat's name, not the book's title

The book by David Platt is SO GOOD because it is, IMHO, the perfect blend of sound doctrine and social gospel. I have read books about the social gospel that were a whole lotta social and not much gospel, ya know? Then, of course, there are plenty of books on sound doctrine. But this one combines the two in a way I have not seen before. He really gives a good doctrinal basis for being involved in social gospel projects but for gospel reasons. OK, I am rambling...just read it. :tongue_smilie:

Definitely check this out!

It's first on my list for 2011 thanks to you and a couple of reviews! I'm in need of something deep to challenge my faith to grow. It's been a slump year in so many ways.

It has made such an impact on my dh and I that we are taking the author's "challenge" presented in the last chapter... don't want to give it away :D

Many of the titles here are absolute favorites - The Help, for example, or Pillars of the Earth, etc. But I didn't read them in '10. Oh well ...

Fiction: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series (after you get past the first 60 or so pages, plus, I don't mind the graphic nature, since I tend to not let it get to me). I just love Lisbeth's personality. Reminds me of Kill Bill. Never, ever thought I would like those movies. But I love them. I absolutely flat-out refused to see those movies at first.

Non-Fiction: The Geography of Bliss - pure pleasure, fun, insightful, and you feel like you're traveling with him. I'm re-reading it .. that's how much I liked it. :D

bliss_pb.jpg

Island of the World by Michael D. O'Brien is so good and so real you will likely be tempted to google the protagonist's name to check his authenticity.

This book sticks with you like a shadow while your reading it and long after you are finished. Island is life changing, or at least it was for me. Some described it as a walk of crucifixion and resurrection. So true.

Don't let the daunting 800+ pages keep you from picking this book up. Thirty pages in, and you're hooked.

For more, read the first chapter online here. Simply go to right sidebar, look in the green Kindle box and click gray bar at the bottom "Read first chapter FREE."

More thoughts on Island here.

Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream by David Platt [/b]

ER's girlfriend had that book on her Christmas list--I was going to buy it for her, but someone else beat me to it--and now I want to read it too. I heard David Platt speak a couple of years ago, and he was amazing! He quoted from memory the first 12 chapters of Romans, and I'm pretty sure he could have kept going beyond that. It wasn't just quoting though; he was doing it like a sermon, speaking to the audience as if it were his own words. I was astounded.

I just wanted to pop in and say thank you for all those who've posted so far! One of my goals this year is to read more JUST FOR ME. I have already added a ton of books to my wish list so I can pull them from the library as I need them, and am halfway through The Glass Castle (excellent read btw, hard to put down!)

What a great place this is!