Menu

What grammar program do you use alongside CW?

mo2

I seem to be getting mixed reviews of Harvey's Grammar. So, what grammar program do you use with CW? I know someone said R&S, but I won't be using that as we are secular hsers. Just curious what the rest of you use.

Thanks!

Well, Harvey's & Rod and Staff are the two most recommended companion programs for CW users, so maybe you should take a second look at Harvey's. CW sells a workbook for this, and schedules the grammar component for you in the Instructor Guides. (I use Rod & Staff personally, though).

Oh yes, have you checked EPS? They have a wealth of grammar & writing products. Here's the link:

Educators Publishing Service

If you got a text/workbook that is mastery-based, or has a chapter per part-of-speech, you could just cover the various topics as CW schedules them in the IG. Does that make sense?

HTH,

I seem to be getting mixed reviews of Harvey's Grammar. So, what grammar program do you use with CW? I know someone said R&S, but I won't be using that as we are secular hsers. Just curious what the rest of you use.

Thanks!

I was using Growing W/ Grammar and then this year JAG and AG...

I haven't used Harvey or CW, but I used Rod and Staff and we found it extremely dry and boring. So, you're not missing anything there :) I've looked into GUM and A Beka's Language workbook. I don't know how "religious" A Beka's is (Their LA workbooks aren't as "in your face" as R&S), but it seems colorful and easy to use. Also, you wouldn't need a teacher's guide to teach it. GUM is from Zaner Bloser. It's totally secular and I don't know if you'd need the teacher's guide, but they have it if you want some guidance.

HTH!

This year, I am going to try to ditch Harvey's and just do Abeka's grammar only. I really love Abeka grammar and really missed it when ds switched to Harvey.

It might be difficult because Harvey's is integrated into the CW program. We'll see how it goes. Even if our CW suffers a bit, it will be worth it. I really hate Harvey's. So antiquated.

My response depends on how much grammar your child has had and what kinds of programs work best for him/her/them.

GWG is a great program. I would recommend this for someone weak or strong in grammar if they like textbook/workbook type programs. The explanations are clear and the exercises to the point and in my opinion just enough to not overwhlem or bore.

Now if you are also using a Latin program that is heavy on grammar (like Latin Prep) and your student is grounded well in grammar, I would recommend you dropping formal grammar. Between Latin and the applied grammar learned through CW (Homer and up), our family has found no need for a separate program. So if your schedule is in need of a little wiggle room, I would drop grammar all together. If after a few months of no grammar you still feel like you need something formal, go for GWG or Warriner's for your older students.

HTHs,