Menu

Language art changes: But to what???

ChemMommy

We are wrapping up FLL in the next month. Overall, we've enjoyed it and learned a lot of grammar. I bought the MCT stuff, and although it looks interesting, it is so teacher-intensive that I know that I won't implement it: too many kids and not enough mommy to go around.

My old edition of WTM recommends R&S. Or CLE.

Is CLE those little booklets you fill in? Aren't they just Alpha-Omega rewritten? Or am I thinking of something else. I have horrid memories of the old ACE booklets that taught NOTHING. I can't believe Susan would recommend CLE if it is as poor as ACE (sometimes called PACE).

Could anyone help me get a handle on the difference between R&S and CLE? I've found a few samples on line, but still can't make a decision. Are they both comprehensive LA programs or just grammar? (I think CLE is comprehensive; I'm not sure about R&S).

Mostly, I'm tired and want someone to just tell me what would work well for a 4th and 5th grader that find FLL pretty straight forward, work independently, and read well. (I'm just plain tired of making decisions all the time: what class for spring for the senior, what horse to get for the 9th grader, what everyone wants for Christmas, what LA program so that next kids won't be behind in writing like the oldest, whine, whine, whine--anyone have any cheese or a hug!)

:bigear:

I'm wondering this too, It took me a while I was realizing R&S isn't the same as CLE.

I didn't realize they weren't the same thing since the sellers all wear the caps when they come to our convention. I also thought it was AO or even the old PACE programs. But, I think they are not.

Do you use one of them?:lurk5:

CLE is not similar to any of these : AO, ACE . A little similar with R&S but in a workbook form and not as much writing.

CLE Sunrise is not AO , although they did use AO in the past.

CLE is one of the most comprehensive grammar curriculums, very easy to use (both for parent&Student) , very independent. It includes spelling & penmanship which we liked. My 1st grader scored 3rd grade after finishing CLE LA 1.

It has quizzes& tests in the same booklet. It reviews concepts throughout the year which is great at a young age since they tend to forget easily without review.

That said, I do think CLE LA grade 1 introduce too much , too soon and I would not use it with an average child . A lot of writing and grammar for that age. My oldest liked it but he is very advanced in language. My youngest has speech delay and CLE LA would be too much for him. Maybe I'll use it one yr behind which many people do since CLE LA is more advanced than other programs or PS.

They have very extensive samples of each booklet at their website .

Edited by blessedmom3

I didn't know SWB recommended CLE. I know that she does recommend R&S.

We use CLE. I have no experience with AO, so I can't really compare. However, I can definitely say that CLE is very effective at teaching language. I would suggest looking on the website at the scope and sequence and the samples of the lightunits. Some people love it (we fall in that category), some people think it has too much review and some people don't like it at all. Once you've looked it over you should have a better feel.

ETA: I didn't see that you have already looked at samples. Perhaps those who've used both will better be able to help you with your concerns. Sorry.

Mostly, I'm tired and want someone to just tell me what would work well for a 4th and 5th grader that find FLL pretty straight forward, work independently, and read well.

R&S would fit the bill. R&S English covers grammar and writing, thoroughly. You'd need a separate spelling book, which R&S also carries. CLE LA includes spelling.

R&S English is a textbook series, designed to be done independently, but can easily be done orally like FLL. They include an oral/class drill, and a written drill, followed by a small review of old concepts, in each lesson. Some lessons have an accompanying worksheet for extra practice. There's an oral review quiz in the TE as well. You choose which form of practice and review works best for your situation; they don't expect you to do all of that. The TE is awesome and will hold your hand every step of the way, even giving you the exact words to teach with if needed.

R&S and CLE are both great programs. R&S supposedly has better writing, and CLE includes spelling and penmanship. R&S is a non-consumable textbook where the child writes their answers on separate paper. CLE is a set of workbooks.

So I think which one you choose would be geared toward whether you want textbook or workbook, whether you want to add a separate writing curriculum, and whether you want spelling/penmanship added.

Either curriculum would be a good choice imho. I guess I'd ask, do you want a grammar program with some writing? Or do you want something that is more inclusive with penmanship, grammar. spelling, and some writing?

From what I've read, you will still need to supplement writing with both programs, especially at 4th or 5th grade level. We use R&S and like it well enough (switching to BJU next year). We do R&S orally though, and only only review with writing sometimes. They do have actual writing assignment (as does CLE), but everyone claims it's not comprehensive enough on it's own.

We've looked at CLE too, and it looks awesome! We would only use it for grammar though, and for me, it just felt like a poor choice (since we'd eliminate so much). However, I LOVE the concept of CLE. I really dislike using several pieces ....too pricy and more time consuming...but unfortunately, it works best for my dd.

Susan

I was so whine-y and tired yesterday! I've looked at samples until they are all blurred in my minds. And I've had old prejudices to deal with (the old PACE program and pushy reps at conventions), too!

Neither program is super expensive (yeah!) so it I make a mistake, it's not a big deal. And a 4th and 5th grader have tons of time to switch again in LA. But, I need to have more time for the senior who needs more writing instruction. Thankfully, the 9th grader is using OYAN and loves it and writes 1-2 hours per day. That program is a great fit for a budding creative writer!!

Thank you ALL so much for sharing insights on R&S and CLE. Bless you for spending your time on me!!!:001_smile:

Is CLE those little booklets you fill in? Aren't they just Alpha-Omega rewritten? Or am I thinking of something else. I have horrid memories of the old ACE booklets that taught NOTHING. I can't believe Susan would recommend CLE if it is as poor as ACE (sometimes called PACE).

ACE, Alpha Omega, and Christian Light all publish their instructional materials in individual booklets: ACE/Paces, Alpha Omega/Lifepacs, Christian Light/Light Units.

Could anyone help me get a handle on the difference between R&S and CLE? I've found a few samples on line, but still can't make a decision. Are they both comprehensive LA programs or just grammar? (I think CLE is comprehensive; I'm not sure about R&S).

Both are comprehensive grammar and composition, although I'm wondering if CLE includes spelling? (too lazy to go look it up, lol) R&S's spelling (and reading) are separate from the grammar/comp.

I prefer R&S for grammar/comp, as I think the actual writing-on-paper to be important for English skills.