Menu

Who else is just hanging on until Christmas break?

I cannot wait to start Christmas break. I spent the summer doing careful planning, and the first several weeks went well. Then my health issues started to catch up with me, and the seemingly endless list of appointments began, along with realizing I actually don't feel well and there's a reason for it. The boys have done well (and we'll actually have 97 days of school in when we start break), but I haven't been able to be as involved as I had planned.

I am looking forward to baking and reading (I do hope to catch up and get ahead on some Sonlight reading) and relaxing next week, and the following week I'll spend time regrouping and revising our plans to fit my current circumstances, and we'll start the new year fresh :001_smile:.

I'm struggling. My foot-dragger has been...well, foot-dragging. Since about Thanksgiving. I finally started getting him up at 6 a.m.; I was soooo sick of our very reasonable homeschooling schedule being dragged out until none of the rest of us could go anywhere in the afternoon. Now we seem to be on a one-person-at-a-time merry-go-round of 24 hour fevers/sore throats. It hasn't interfered with homeschooling much yet, but today I canned seatwork completely. I do NOT want to take a bunch of semi-sick kids to my in-laws next week. Everyone needs to rest.

We don't take a specific period of time for a break. But I can tell you that late last night I determined today would be a day "off". I can't take how messy and dirty our house has become. Before I go off the deep end, I thought it best to take a day to clean and regroup. Besides, we got lots of snow last night; I'm sure the kids won't mind playing in it. AFTER they help get this house in order, that is. :)

Oh yes - hanging on by a thread. I am taking graduate courses online, and have two papers due on 12/26.... have family coming in to town on 12/24, the house is a wreck, I am our BS Troop's Committee Chair and am trying to finish the re-charter which was dumped on me right before we left town a few weeks ago, DS turns 13 Saturday....

Needless to say - my DS has been having a light week :)

I confess I gave up already. I tried to schedule things to end last week so we could have a nice long break, but I told my kids we were not going to stop until the scheduled work was done. I had it planned at a perfect break in the materials. Ds14 is in the middle of a research paper and we didn't finish the rest of the schedule for him or his sister. Dd18 has dropped the ball for the holidays too.

We'll just pick up where we left off when we start school again on January 10th.

However, so far DH and I have gotten the master bathroom painted, the shower stall fixed, and the molding on ds14's baseboards put in. I still want to paint the kitchen during the break. I deep cleaned ds14's room and the bathroom as well so we could do the work. And I have plans to deep clean dd12's room today. Other rooms will be done during the break. So at least we're being productive! The physical work feels good after a long semester of school for the kids and myself. (But I got straight A's!)

We are on track with our schedule, but I am dragging. I need a break and so do the kids. Mostly, my two part-time jobs caught up with me, and I feel very drained. I get a one week break from one of them and about a month break from the other. I'm hoping that will refuel me sufficiently to press on for the rest of the year.

I will be at day 80 when we break Friday. That is almost 20 days more than we had last year, so that is good. But I am soooo ready for a break. I want a week off to relax and read and enjoy, but I'm getting almost 2 weeks of a house full of people.

We are regrouping for next year. We've made great progress in our 3'Rs plus science, but I feel worn out at the end of every week. Snuggly sofa reading time disappeared along with poetry and memory time. I want those things back. I just need to figure out how.

I just have to get through 2 days of phonics, writing, grammar and math then I'm checking out of school for two or three weeks.

That's me...hanging on by a fingernail! I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready... Tomorrow, I'm taking the kids to the Children's Museum for half the day...just cause I'm soooooooo ready not to do school for a bit. Break will be all too short!

(For the record, if I just had my ds I wouldn't feel this way. But I'm also schooling a reluctant and unhappy 14-yr-old niece, whom I suspect has some LD. It's not been a pretty fall here!)