Menu

So confused need some direction

So I have been contemplating homeschooling, however DH is a little resistant. Especially since we live in an area that has two seperate public schools that offer a K-8 full montessori program and another school that offers a k-5 mandarin immersion program which will continue till 12.

I personally would love my son to learn and be immersed in another language,especially mandarin, but I am so confused and hesitant about making the decision. Anyone out there have any points that we should consider while making this decision? Any advice? Please help...

Thanks

Shahnaz

Is partial enrollment an answer?

We have HS'ed since day one, (9 yrs now), but this year our 2 older daughters were looking for more opportunities to develop their singing skills. We enrolled them in our local Christian school just for their Choir class elective, and it's been working fine. DW drives them over after lunch and is back 2 hrs later.

The school has a strong perspective on Christian, parent-led education, and offers a HS option for taking electives at a very reasonable price. So we've been satisfied so far with this option.

Perhaps you can discuss this 'compromise' first with DH, then approach the schools to see what they have to offer for homeschoolers.

I hear where you're coming from. We were faced with a similar issue this summer and ended up choosing school for this year.

You can read my blog entry about our decision here. Make sure you're using Internet Explorer as your browser if you link to read it. It's a mess if you try to read it using Google Chrome.

Best of luck with your decision. And just remember--- if you choose to homeschool now or choose to send to school now, it's not set in stone. You can always change your mind later and go with what works best for your child and your family at that time.

Edited by fairytalemama
Screwed up entering the web address for link

I'd look to see what kind of schools they are. Academically they sound interesting. What are the children like - interested? Interesting? Polite? Literate? Talk to other parents - see how issues such as disability, giftedness, bullying are handled. Spend time in the schools. Then decide if you think home is a better idea.

Laura

Personally, if I had had a suitable Montessori school within driving distance, I probably wouldn't be homeschooling. We actually started homeschooling because the Montessori school I had my heart set on was just TOO far away to be realistic.

Homeschool is a lovely way of life (much more than a school choice); but you've got other good options.

No advice. :) Let us know what you decide.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should write out your reasons for wanting to homeschool- religious, academics, family time, special needs of child, etc. and compare that to what your life would like in the public school environment.

You are indeed lucky to have great free schools nearby though. Afterschooling would be an option should you choose to go the public route and still incorporate some additional religious/academic studies.

Good luck with your decision.

Aly.