Menu

Horizons Pre-Algebra

TechWife

Thought I'd start a new thread in case all of those who might be interested didn't see the old one.

I received answers to the questions that I sent the publisher today. The program will be out in January, but they would not confirm the exact date. They do not know if there will be an Algebra program. Here is the text of the email that I received:

Thank you for your email. I am not sure why we don't have any information about the Horizons Pre-Algebra course on our website. I will make that suggestions to our Marketing Department. The Horizons Pre-Algebra course will be released in January, but we are not sure that it will be available on 1/5/11, it will depend on how long it takes the printer to print the books.

The Horizons Pre-Algebra course is a year course, and includes 160 lessons, 16 tests, and 4 exams. This will be the first course in the Horizons curriculum that has the 4 exams that can be used for quarterly monitoring the student's understanding of the concepts taught in the course.

At this time we do not have a Horizons Algebra 1 on our calendar. Our Product Development Department has not yet made the final decision on that course.

Hope this helps some folks answer the popular question "What do I do after Horizons 6?"

I know there are no guarantees but the rep told me in April that there were no plans for Pre-Algebra. So in another year - maybe Algebra I? I won't hold my breath, my I can hope!

I'm shocked that there is a pre-alg. I asked about this yrs and yrs ago and was told repeatedly that they had no intention of writing a pre-alg or alg program.

FWIW.....as much as I love Horizons, I don't think I would go with their alg program even if they wrote one. I think there are already solid, proven texts available.

I don't know about the pre-alg though. I have been satisfied using MUS alg as pre-alg, but when I reach that pt again in 4 yrs, their pre-alg will have had enough of a "testing" run by all of you to give feedback as to whether or not it is worthy of consideration. :D

FWIW, the reps at our homeschool expo weren't "supposed" to tell customers that the pre-algebra was coming. (This was just this past summer.) They did, however, tell some who were considering starting with Horizons that the pre-algebra would be out in the Spring. It was planned but not announced in case something fell through. Looks like it's coming out early.

Quick question if anyone knows. To my knowledge Horizons was bought out by AOP. Is AOP coming out with this new program and how will it compare to the previous programs? We love Horizons here also (although we also use Singapore) and use both their Math and Phonics programs. Glad we are far from Pre-Algebra! Hopefully there will be plenty of reviews on the new program when the time comes :).

Oh a rep told me back at the 1st year of the Cincy convention (4 years ago? 5? I lose track) that they were working on a Horizons 7/pre-algebra. So the fact that it has taken them this long doesn't inspire you to think another level would be out soon. ;)

Hmmm... doesn't sound very promising, does it :lol:!

Is AOP coming out with this new program and how will it compare to the previous programs?

I've wondered how it will compare too! I do know that the author of levels 4-6 is not the same person who authored 1-3 (and I don't know if K is yet another author, or the same one who did 1-3). There are actually some things I like better about 4-6, but it does make me wonder about how well the continuity will be preserved as it moves into prealgebra.

Merry :-)

I've wondered how it will compare too! I do know that the author of levels 4-6 is not the same person who authored 1-3 (and I don't know if K is yet another author, or the same one who did 1-3). There are actually some things I like better about 4-6, but it does make me wonder about how well the continuity will be preserved as it moves into prealgebra.

Merry :-)

Now that you mention it, I have been noticing some differences between K and 1 and was wondering the same thing. I do change the approach to teaching certain things when I feel the need and focus more on the Singapore way if I prefer it but overall I really like the program and Adrian does too :). Hopefully they will have the Pre-Algebra program at our summer convention. Not that you can get a feel for a program simply by perusing it at a convention but hey it's better than not seeing it right :tongue_smilie:?

• 3 weeks later...

I checked with AOP last week about the Pre-algebra not being on the website. They told me the information had been sent to the marketing department to put on the web, but they are apparently running behind in getting the website updated. They confirmed that it is set for release this month. They are just waiting for it to get back from the printer.

• 3 weeks later...
Please let us know when you get it & what your first impressions are.

I got my Pre-Algebra box from AO today. (I had also ordered in January during their sale.)

Here are my first impression:

*Only one student book vs. the normal two that they usually have.

*Lesson are SHORT. Only one page (front and back). They begin with an introduction or review, then classwork and then activites.

*160 lessons total

*Every 10 lesson is a short quiz actually titled It's College Test Prep Time. Questions are now multiple choice.

I also got the Pre-Al Test and Resources books. It has 80 additional worksheets, tests for use after every 10 lessons, and 4 quarter tests. Some manipulatives and formula strips are included in the back.

Overall, it looks good. I love Horizons and have used it from Book K. DS was beside himself when he saw it. He is ready to start NOW :lol:.

• 2 months later...