Menu

Sourcebook for teaching science, has anyone used this?

"I will be content with the books I own."

(Peaceful smile beginning to look a little lop-sided.)

" I will be content with the books I own." (After all, there are 120 books in my trunk to donate to the library.)

"I will not open any thread by Paula or Jackie." (I hear Amazon is sending them Christmas presents to thank them for my business.)

"I do not need a 600 page science reference book just because we love science here and I don't always know what I am doing." (Palms beginning to sweat.)

I am not listening...I am not weak... will this book look weird on my Christmas list I give dh?:D

I have this and love it. I'm able to use it for both ds & dd, which is fabulous. I get the most out of it though, using it for dd. I've given her assignments like the paint chip periodic table, career reports, and how to analyze an article. Well worth the money if you get it as it has all of the disciplines and covers quite an ablility range.

I have this and love it. I'm able to use it for both ds & dd, which is fabulous. I get the most out of it though, using it for dd. I've given her assignments like the paint chip periodic table, career reports, and how to analyze an article. Well worth the money if you get it as it has all of the disciplines and covers quite an ablility range.

Thank you. The paint chip periodic table sounds interesting. It's now on my Christmas list too.

Thanks, Luna. All my resolve is gone and I don't even feel guilty. It's just a shame that it takes longer to get everything from Amazon right now. I am hoping to have over Christmas break.

What is the paint chip periodic table?

Paula, all kidding aside, thanks so much for bringing resource to my attention. We would have a fabulous library, wouldn't we?

You know the little paint samples from the store, the ones that come on the card and are little squares of color...? The student is supposed arrange a periodic table using those instead of elements. The idea being to group colors together, like the elements.

As soon as dd finishes hers I'll post pictures.

Thanks, Luna. All my resolve is gone and I don't even feel guilty. It's just a shame that it takes longer to get everything from Amazon right now. I am hoping to have over Christmas break.

Paula, all kidding aside, thanks so much for bringing resource to my attention. We would have a fabulous library, wouldn't we?

We would. I'm been on a book buying fast until we get into our new house. This book has ended up at the top of the list for after the first of the year.

You know the little paint samples from the store, the ones that come on the card and are little squares of color...? The student is supposed arrange a periodic table using those instead of elements. The idea being to group colors together, like the elements.

As soon as dd finishes hers I'll post pictures.

How wonderful. My dh is painting and refinishing every surface in our "new" house right now. We have paint chips everywhere. Come to think of it since he's in construction I bet he could spare one of his old paint chip books. Yes, I think we'll do this activity. Would love to see the pictures when you're done.

:lol::lol::lol:Yeah! I'm almost tempted to spring for Amazon Prime...almost.:D

I don't know if it still applies, but if you sign up for Amazon Mom, which is free, the give you a free three month Prime membership. Mine was due to expire on Dec. 9th, but I recently got an email stating they extended it another month. Whoo hoo, score!

I don't know if it still applies, but if you sign up for Amazon Mom, which is free, the give you a free three month Prime membership. Mine was due to expire on Dec. 9th, but I recently got an email stating they extended it another month. Whoo hoo, score!

My book will be here Wednesday! Thank so much for the info. We are back to chemistry again and the book looks like it will be really helpful.

Yes, I got the same e-mail. :D

I've only had time to quickly flip through it, but my initial impressions are that it's a really comprehensive and amazing resource, and I think I'll get a LOT of use out of it — although I haven't figured out yet exactly how I'll use it. The vocabulary section alone is worth the money, IMO.

Many thanks to Paula for posting this!

Jackie

Okay, Lisa, Jackie...did you guys get yours yet? I'd be interested in what you guys think of it if you've had a chance to look at it.

Not Lisa or Jackie, but I got mine today. I agree with Jackie, it looks like it will be a wonderful source for me and my ds. I've only flipped through to chapter 7. There is one section on developing science writing skills. There's a great exercise on writing clear instruction on page 94. It involves the construction of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. :D

• 3 weeks later...
OK, you guys didn't notice my conspicuous absence in a science thread and send me a PM???? Were you trying to save me money? :lol:

Off to Amazon........

:lol::lol: This book really is a wealth of information. They even have a section that includes some Soduku puzzles, so now I'm hooked on them.

• 3 weeks later...