Menu

gifts for a 5 yo boy

I can't figure out what to get ds for xmas. One of the things he wants his grandma is getting him. The other 2 things are not practical (a skate board and there's no where to ride one, a toy that's flimsy and will be tore up in no time).

He likes cars and trains and such, but he already has so much of that kind of thing that I'd like to get him something different. I have no idea what. I prefer toys that son't have a million little pieces that get lost, or toys that are not battery operated. Any ideas?

What is the flimsy toy? (Just asking to get an idea of what he likes.)

How about a scooter instead of a skateboard?

What is your budget? When my ds was 5, he wanted everything from trains to action figures to Legos to bouncy balls to beanbags to bikes to Hess trucks to Hot Wheels to Play-Doh.... I think the list of things he *didn't* want was shorter than the list of things he liked!

My impression is that you want something that's durable and not-too-messy, that has long-term play value. If you post how much you'd like to spend (and how many gifts you want to get for the $$$,) I'm sure lots of us will post suggestions for you. :001_smile:

Cat

What is the flimsy toy? (Just asking to get an idea of what he likes.)

How about a scooter instead of a skateboard?

What is your budget? When my ds was 5, he wanted everything from trains to action figures to Legos to bouncy balls to beanbags to bikes to Hess trucks to Hot Wheels to Play-Doh.... I think the list of things he *didn't* want was shorter than the list of things he liked!

My impression is that you want something that's durable and not-too-messy, that has long-term play value. If you post how much you'd like to spend (and how many gifts you want to get for the $$$,) I'm sure lots of us will post suggestions for you. :001_smile:

Cat

Well, I actually don't know that it's flimsy, I just suspect that it is. It's one of those paper jamz guitars. I worry that it won't last, and that it would get boring if it only plays a couple songs. And I 've been trying to figure out if you have to have the amplifier to go with it or not, but I can't figure it out.

If any one has used paper jamz I'd love to hear about it.

I can't spend a lot of xmas, so I would like to get him something that has long term value for my money rather than something that he thinks he wants but wont last long. I have $60, and I'd like to get him a couple toys. Thanks

Have you seen the Razor Rip Rider 360 - http://www.amazon.com/Razor-Rip-Rider-360-Drifting-Ride-On/dp/B000WZEX4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291493849&sr=8-1. It was on sale at Wal-Mart today for $49. We are picking one up for DS for his birthday in May. He doesn't have lots of room to ride, either (very steep street and driveway), but this seems like you don't needs lots of room for it to be incredibly fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NanceXToo viewpost.gif

We just gave our son a Stomp Rocket. He LOVES it. No little pieces :D (Otherwise I'd have said Knex...he loves those, too!)

THat looks like fun. Does it hold up well?

Here's another vote for the stomp rocket.

It IS an outside toy.

It is the highlight of playing outside for my 3yo daughter and her friends when they play outside. Our 3yo hasn't broken it yet.

Warning: get extra rockets. Ours always land on the roof, and we have to wait until they blow down! :D

Here's another vote for the stomp rocket.

It IS an outside toy.

It is the highlight of playing outside for my 3yo daughter and her friends when they play outside. Our 3yo hasn't broken it yet.

Warning: get extra rockets. Ours always land on the roof, and we have to wait until they blow down! :D

Well, I can't say yet how they hold up, we only gave it to him yesterday lol. Also, we let him play with it in the house...the rockets are pretty soft so they didn't hurt anything. If I let him play with it outside the rockets will probably end up over the fence and in the creek or something :P