Menu

Double brag: my baby's walking and cute cake decorating

I made this stable cake and sheep cupcakes for our youth group Christmas party tonight. It turned out so cute I wanted to show it off.:D

Plus, my little guy did his first real walking today. He's taken 2-3 steps before, but since it was just moving from handhold to handhold, we refused to count it as real walking. Today he's taken 10+ steps at a time! He was walking at McDonald's, and an elderly man came up and asked, "How long has he been walking?" My dh said, "About 3 hours." The man laughed and said, "I thought so! It looks brand new to me."

Keaton also decided that there must be something awesome about sitting in the recliner with a blanket on your lap, because Mommy and Daddy seem to enjoy it. He pointed at the chair until Daddy lifted him up, then spread the blankets over himself.

post-1589-13535084200188_thumb.jpg

post-1589-13535084200484_thumb.jpg

post-1589-13535084200188_thumb.jpg

post-1589-13535084200484_thumb.jpg

The sheep were super easy and quick to make. Chocolate cupcakes (baked in greased/floured pan without paper liners), white buttercream frosting, mini marshmallows torn in half, mini Oreos with the cream scraped off for the ears and face. I originally made chocolate covered pretzels for legs and planned to add eyes with frosting, but I decided to go for a simpler, less-cartoony look.

I made the stable using the Wilton Stand-Up House Pan http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=2105-2070. I wonder if you could cut the shape out of two layers of cake and bind with frosting or if it would be too unstable? I frosted it with brown tinted buttercream icing, and decorated with store-brand versions of Reese's cereal and wheat Chex, and mini pretzels. the "sand" is crushed graham crackers, and the door is part of a Hershey's bar.

It took me about 4 hours, including baking the cakes and mixing the frosting, but I was doing other stuff around the house during that time too.

post-1589-13535084227438_thumb.jpg

post-1589-13535084227438_thumb.jpg

Edited by AndyJoy

The sheep were super easy and quick to make. Chocolate cupcakes (baked in greased/floured pan without paper liners), white buttercream frosting, mini marshmallows torn in half, mini Oreos with the cream scraped off for the ears and face. I originally made chocolate covered pretzels for legs and planned to add eyes with frosting, but I decided to go for a simpler, less-cartoony look.

I made the stable using the Wilton Stand-Up House Pan http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=2105-2070. I wonder if you could cut the shape out of two layers of cake and bind with frosting or if it would be too unstable? I frosted it with brown tinted buttercream icing, and decorated with store-brand versions of Reese's cereal and wheat Chex, and mini pretzels. the "sand" is crushed graham crackers, and the door is part of a Hershey's bar.

It took me about 4 hours, including baking the cakes and mixing the frosting, but I was doing other stuff around the house during that time too.

I need to go to bed. I thought your sheep had angel wings. :lol: It's OBVIOUS they're ears, but it's 1:00 here. I just need to get to bed.;)

They are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!