Menu

Any dairy free hot chocolate recipes?

I use a bit of water and coco powder(and a very small pinch of sea salt), heated until dissolved. Then I add coco milk-full fat- heat it until just below boiling, stir in the sweetener of your choice and a bit of vanilla. If you do a granulated sweetener you of course need to make sure it dissolves well.

I've never used or bought creamer. Is there a certain dairy free creamer? Is this with the coffee or milk products?

I would actually recommend against this. The non-dairy creamers are often unbelievably unhealthy.

You can find coconut milk with the Asian stuff at the grocery store. (Get the coconut MILK, not coconut cream.) Either that or the almond milk should be really yummy.

Nondairy creamers don't contain lactose, but they often contain milk protein (casein), which is the part many people are allergic to. They also often contain corn syrup, hydrogenated fats, mono & diglycerides, and other "yummy" stuff.

Silk makes a dark chocolate almond milk that you can just heat up and drink. It uses cane sugar and natural vegetable thickeners.

If you buy coconut milk to drink (as opposed to using in a curry or something), make sure to read the ingredients and skip the cans with added guar gum. Guar gum is a common thickener, and in some products you don't even taste it, but every can of coconut milk I've had with guar gum in it tastes nasty when I use it for chai or hot chocolate. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods both sell plain coconut milk with no additives.

Jackie