Menu

1 week on antibiotic and still sick?

My DD started in with the sniffles two weeks ago. One week ago she was sick enough that I took her to the doctor with sore throat, cough, and ear pain (she's prone to ear infections). Her strep test came back negative, her ears had a lot of fluid but not infected yet, but the doctor was confident she had a sinus infection. She put her on an antibiotic and a liquid steroid. Here we are a week later, steroid is gone, still have 3 more days on the antibiotic, and DD feels as bad, if not worse than before. Do I go back to the doctor? Finish out the medicine and see again? We went to an urgent care center instead of our regular doctor, so I am pretty sure we would have to pay our copay again.

I don't know, but we've got the same thing here. Sinus infection, ear infection, tonsillitis, antibiotics, fevers, maybe strep. Her fever was gone for a day and it's back now. Plus now dd has a cough and runny nose added to the list of problems. Oh - and her legs hurt. But, I think the sore legs are growing pains. We're on day 6.

Ugh.

Sounds like the sinus infection is still roaring.

Was she on a nasal steroid (the kind you sniff and squirt directly into the nose)? If not, ask the doctor to give her one. They are remarkably effective for sinus infection. A word of warning though--when I use these, I end up with badly disrupted sleep and insomnia. This does not happen to everyone though, and it's worth trying the steroid in order to cure the infection.

Also try a neti-pot or NeilMed sinus rinse system. I am very prone to sinus infection, as is my ds, and I swear nothing helps like cleaning out the area with salt water several times per day.

You may also need a stronger antibiotic. However, please ALSO do the nasal steroid and salt water rinse system.

I don't know, but we've got the same thing here. Sinus infection, ear infection, tonsillitis, antibiotics, fevers, maybe strep. Her fever was gone for a day and it's back now. Plus now dd has a cough and runny nose added to the list of problems. Oh - and her legs hurt. But, I think the sore legs are growing pains. We're on day 6.

Ugh.

Jen, your little girl is still sick?! Poor thing. I'm sorry. Praying for her.

(sorry for the thread hijack)

I'd at least call the doctor. We took the boys to the doctor last Saturday and they were both put on antibiotics. By Monday night, the 4 year old was feeling miserable and had a fever again. My mommy-alert went off during the night and we went to the ER. He had pneumonia (not bad) and they just changed the antibiotic he was taking. He's done great since then.

It's always on the weekend or at night, isn't it??? Hope your daughter feels better soon! It seems like everyone has been sick this month!

As I understand it, if the infection is viral, then antibiotics won't make any difference to it because viruses are not "killed" by antibiotics. In these cases, the body will deal with the virus over time. If it's a bacterial infection then it's important that your child is prescribed the correct antibiotic; the Dr should be testing to find out which antibiotic to use. (So says my microbiology consultant uncle.)

HTH.

Jen, your little girl is still sick?! Poor thing. I'm sorry. Praying for her.

(sorry for the thread hijack)

Ugh. Yes. Day 6. Day 4 of antobiotics. Her fever went away for a day. We may have pushed her too far. Now the fever is back and she still has a fever when she's not medicated. Her legs hurt when she's not medicated. She's now got a runny nose and a really bad cough. Her tonsils are still very swollen. We're at my mom's and dad's now or I may have taken her back in. Luckily, Advil makes her all better!!

I'm still a VERY worried momma. I just hate this!!

I think I am going to hold off until Monday and take her to our regular doctor. That will be after her antibiotic is completely gone. I think her lethargy today was a combination of poor sleep at night and the rainy dreary day it was. She has perked up since I made her take a shower and fed her dinner.

My DD started in with the sniffles two weeks ago. One week ago she was sick enough that I took her to the doctor with sore throat, cough, and ear pain (she's prone to ear infections). Her strep test came back negative, her ears had a lot of fluid but not infected yet, but the doctor was confident she had a sinus infection. She put her on an antibiotic and a liquid steroid. Here we are a week later, steroid is gone, still have 3 more days on the antibiotic, and DD feels as bad, if not worse than before. Do I go back to the doctor? Finish out the medicine and see again? We went to an urgent care center instead of our regular doctor, so I am pretty sure we would have to pay our copay again.

I had a recurring sinus infection for about 2 months(it never fully went away). I was on 4 rounds of antibiotics before they thought I was just immune to that type of antibiotic. They put me on a much stronger one and that put my infection to an end :D.

I would definately see if she can be put on a stronger type.

Hope she feels better soon!

I would definitely take her back to the doctor.

My daughter had something similar once and it took 3 trips to the doctor and 1 trip to the ear/nose/throat doctor. She landed having strep throat and a double ear infection. It took 3 tries at antibiotics to get it all under control.

Where's the ear plugging smilie? We do not need the ENT route again. She has had 2 sets of tubes and her tonsils and adenoids removed all since she was 6. I was really hoping we had outgrown this.

Where's the ear plugging smilie? We do not need the ENT route again. She has had 2 sets of tubes and her tonsils and adenoids removed all since she was 6. I was really hoping we had outgrown this.

Oh poor thing (and poor you). :grouphug:

I'm wondering if she typically has infections of that type (those ear infections, sinus, etc.) without fevers?

Did I understand correctly that she hasn't run a fever with this? I've heard of kids who have documented infections and their bodies don't produce a fever. I've got an "unlucky" child too health wise and I know the stress. But in my experience with him he usually runs fevers especially with bacterial infections that were antibiotic resistant or worsening/spreading (huge fever spikes). Maybe sinus infections work differently? I'm thinking a person can particularly with chronic sinusitis (my MIL had that) but I don't think you're describing a chronic type thing at all.

I know that most sinus infections are viral and, as such, antibiotics aren't going to help. I guess I'm saying that my guess on the lack of response to antibiotics is that this was very likely viral. The question of course if whether it is still a viral infection or has moved to bacterial. The lack of fever still would make me wonder. I think she's still within a time frame for a virus as well. Of course it could morph into bacterial. I don't know how you sort that out!

I'm just hesitant with my son with a complicated health history like your daughter because we did run into antibiotic resistance and serious infections. I read that nearly 100% of those kids with tubes have resistant bacteria in biofilms living in their ears. So, I tend to want to know if what he's got is both bacterial (vs. viral) and that his body isn't fighting it on his own before we go the antibiotic route. So in your place with my child I want to see someone vs. just move to a stronger antibiotic to see if there is a bacterial infection for sure and where. This would be especially true given the lack of fever and that she seems to be getting worse even while on an antibiotic pretty early into the illness.

Edited by sbgrace

My DD is now 2 full weeks into this illness. Since then myself and 2 sons have had it and it has pretty much run its course with no antibiotic treatment. My only guess is that it was a viral infection, but she has gotten a secondary bacterial infection that isn't responding to the antibiotic of choice. Surprisingly enough, after the T&A at 6, she has caught very few "head colds". Oh well, unless something changes for the better or worse, Monday morning she will be going back to the doctor. She is a competitive gymnast with her state finals this coming weekend, she needs her sinuses and inner ears working.

• 10 years later...