Menu

S/o - Does a smudgeless eye liner exist?

Guest RecumbentHeart

Guest RecumbentHeart

I've tried several eye liners now in my hunt for one that won't have me looking a mess later in the day and I'm tired of wasting money so someone please help!

My eyes have little definition due to thin, sparse lashes so I am rarely without liner but it always ends up creating a shadow under my eyes and collecting in the tiny creases there. Is there something that would stay where it's put? Would I better achieve my ends with mascara instead & just forgo the liner?

Have you tried liquid? Nothing beats liquid for me. I can't use a smudge style eyeliner or it will be all over my eyes by lunch.

I use the L'Oreal brand with the brush tip. Somepeople say that the felt tip is easier, but since I started with the brush 20 years ago, I don't see a reason to change. I have a fair complexion, and I like minimal makeup so I actually remove part of the liquid from the brush before I apply it. I typically run it across a piece of tissue before I apply it. I apply it just where the lashes and skin meet on my top lid, and only about 1/3 of the way on my lower lid. By the time I get to my lower lid, there is very little liner on my brush so it gives a very faint line, not a bold one.

There are a lot of videos on line so you may want to google around to get some video ideas.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

The Revlon Colorstay liquid eye liner is relatively smudge proof.

But, I'm not sure that you can get much tougher than a gel eyeliner. Wet n Wild make a really good one that is pretty inexpensive. For a little bit more you could also find them in the L'Oreal HIP line, Maybelline, Sonia Kasuk (at Target), or MAC.

Guest RecumbentHeart
I love the Bobbi Brown gel liners. It took a bit of practice before I learned to apply them correctly, but they last for ages.

Where can you buy those from?

Guest RecumbentHeart
Have you considered tattoo?

I would never be brave enough to let someone do that kind of work so close to my eyes. lol

Thanks for the help/suggestions. I would love to buy locally rather than online but I'll check out that website, perhaps it will say if/what stores sell the product. :) The most I've spent so far on a liner is about $6-$7 and I thought that was pricey. lol

I've tried several eye liners now in my hunt for one that won't have me looking a mess later in the day and I'm tired of wasting money so someone please help!

My eyes have little definition due to thin, sparse lashes so I am rarely without liner but it always ends up creating a shadow under my eyes and collecting in the tiny creases there. Is there something that would stay where it's put? Would I better achieve my ends with mascara instead & just forgo the liner?

If you're using it to line your water line then you would need a good waterproof liner. For lining the outside of your eye gel liners work really good and are pretty much smudge proof once they set. You should use a primer first to help it stay. Urban Decay's Primer Potion and Nars Smudge proof are both excellent. Put that on first and let it dry and then line your eyes and you will be good to go. If you really really want to make sure it doesn't budge, you can even go over the liner with a matching eyeshadow to "set" the liner and it should be good all day. Coastalscents.com has a nice selection of gel liners and they're not expensive. http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm/category/127/gel-liners.cfm

Make sure to get a liner brush with it though to apply it. The Sonia Kashuk angled liner brushes from Target are good or you can get one from coastalscents too. They have lots of nice liner brushes. http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=37

A good primer is really the most important thing though IMHO. :) Good luck. :)

Blessings,

Jennifer

Guest RecumbentHeart

Oh, well it doesn't seem all that expensive I guess .. Although I haven't looked at any primers yet. I'm confused though 1 why does eye shadow not smudge?

I love my MAC but it definitely smudges. A friend recommended Revlon Colorstay; I used the pencil the entire (hot) summer and was extremely pleased with the results. It's a keeper in my home.

Oh, well it doesn't seem all that expensive I guess .. Although I haven't looked at any primers yet. I'm confused though 1 why does eye shadow not smudge?

Different ingredients. Powder is different than liners. And if your lids tend to get oily, a liner will slide off more easily than a powder. I think a primer will solve a lot of your problems though. I tend to have oily lids and if I don't use a primer first, forget about it, my makeup is gone in a matter of hours whereas with a primer it lasts until I take it off. Hope that helps. I think Revlon makes and eye primer, but I'm not sure how good it is though. I know that the Urban Decay one and the Nars one are excellent though. :)

I think because it it a powder and not an oily type of crayon like liner, it is more likely to stay in place. Also, the line is kind of smudgy to begin with and not a thin, well-defined line. Hope that makes sense.