Menu

Kids and their memories...

Do any of you have kids with memories that make you go :001_huh:? Tonight we were flipping channels and saw the American Music Awards were on. They were naming nominees and we saw that we knew none of them so turned the channel. DD, 10, said, "Chris Brown...I think he sang with Elmo on Sesame Street." We don't have cable and haven't been able to watch PBS with our antennae since we moved to our new house over three years ago. I looked it up and Chris Brown DID sing with Elmo three months before we moved.:001_huh: She would have been 7 and we have never listened to his music. She does this to us all the time and it just seems odd ~ the memories she has. Just wondered what stories others might have to share.

Do any of you have kids with memories that make you go :001_huh:? Tonight we were flipping channels and saw the American Music Awards were on. They were naming nominees and we saw that we knew none of them so turned the channel. DD, 10, said, "Chris Brown...I think he sang with Elmo on Sesame Street." We don't have cable and haven't been able to watch PBS with our antennae since we moved to our new house over three years ago. I looked it up and Chris Brown DID sing with Elmo three months before we moved.:001_huh: She would have been 7 and we have never listened to his music. She does this to us all the time and it just seems odd ~ the memories she has. Just wondered what stories others might have to share.

My oldest has the most astounding memory. She can recall things of which I have no memory. It simply shocks me. I mean I know I am 40 and all, and have a lot going on, but she recalls the fine details of events and I barely remember them at all!

My daughter recently referred to the time when we had to throw everything in the refrigerator and freezer away. This occured after Hurricane Katrina and she was less than a year old at the time. She recently turned six. I had hoped that she wouldn't remember much about the aftermath of the hurricane. No such luck.

DD remembers things that stun DH and me. We were last in Turkey last year when she was barely 2. She kept wanting to go out and toss rocks into the sea rather than stay in my DH's aunt's house. Not only did she start talking about it the other day, she was finally able to explain that the house was too crowded with stuff and people, that's why she always wanted to go out and toss rocks. We couldn't understand the obsession with the rocks at the time - now we get it.

Saturday night, my 12yo casually mentioned that we moved here on 6/21/05. How in the world anyone remembers an exact date like that is beyond me. I've always remembered it as June-ish, only because I know we celebrated dd's 2nd birthday here, on 7/1.

He also used to tell the girls stories about living in my mom's house, even though we moved out right after his 2nd birthday. A few years ago, I drove by the house and he didn't recognize it. :sad: It made sense that those memories would fade for most kids, if they ever even had them to begin with, but it surprised me after all of the vivid stories he used to tell.

The rest of my kids are lucky if they can remember whether or not they brushed their teeth.

Saturday night, my 12yo casually mentioned that we moved here on 6/21/05. How in the world anyone remembers an exact date like that is beyond me. I've always remembered it as June-ish, only because I know we celebrated dd's 2nd birthday here, on 7/1.

He also used to tell the girls stories about living in my mom's house, even though we moved out right after his 2nd birthday. A few years ago, I drove by the house and he didn't recognize it. :sad: It made sense that those memories would fade for most kids, if they ever even had them to begin with, but it surprised me after all of the vivid stories he used to tell.

The rest of my kids are lucky if they can remember whether or not they brushed their teeth.

About the house, he probably didn't recognize it because as a 2 yo he probably wouldn't have been looking at the whole house. He may remember it from the views he would have had at that time; the world looks different from a 2 yo's point of view. Of course, it could have just faded too:D. (I have memories from that age. Full view of houses just aren't in them. Being underneath a tree or a swing set or being at table height in a room, it really limits your viewing area.)

At age 3, one of my dds remembered being born. She was a large posterior baby. I had her naturally and for several days afterward it felt like a train had gone through the middle of me.

She was sitting at the kitchen table and said, in a quivering little voice, "I hit my head." I came over to see what was wrong, because she hadn't moved, so how could she have hit her head? She looked at me with tears in her eyes and said, "I'm sorry, Mama!" I had a flash of intuition that she was remembering her birth. I smiled and told her, "It's perfectly all right" and gave her a hug.

My oldest, when he was four or five, started telling me one day that he remembered me putting his sippy cup on a book. I had no idea what he was talking about until I finally remembered that when he was a young toddler (less than 18 months) I would take a shower by putting him in his playpen for a few minutes with some toys. Right next to the playpen was a table, but he couldn't reach his cup if it was right on the table, so I always put a big book under it. When I realized what he was remembering, I was just flabbergasted!