Menu

Where to go for IQ/gifted testing?

Nestof3

An educational pyschologist. We did so for a range of reasons and were ever so pleased that we spent the money on the testing. In Iowa it was 300.00 and worth every penny. The one we selected was not employed by the school system exclusively and taught at the local uni as well. If you are near a college or university you might be able to find a Phd with grad students doing some of the testing as well.

A lot of psychologists just don't get the gifted thing. And if your child is 2E they REALLY don't get it.

I would ask around. The Gifted Development Center might be a place to try as well. We used them for a phone consult, but I know that others here on this board have had good experiences with them. They do get the gifted thing.

http://www.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank/clinic/nite.aspx

U of Iowa Belin Blank Center just started a twice exceptional program. Please call them as many have found their services to be invaluable if for nothing else than a recommendation closer to you than Iowa City. These people know who's who in giftedness internationally. My dd's ed pysch came to us by referral from Belin.

What in heavens name are you talking about-gifted schools??? Good grief most schools do not even have a gifted program and if they do it is some b****** t one hour a week deal with a gifted coordinator. There is one I am aware of, in Nevada. Davidson Institute.

http://www.davidsonacademy.unr.edu/

Here is a link from a research project regarding the state of gifted education in our grand old country. It is a shameful state of affairs.

http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/nation_deceived/

Check with your local college/university. We were able to find Doctoral students who did ours for pennies....It was supervsied of course by the doctor, but the testing was legitimate and they used the exact same tests everyone else quoted me. Honestly, I think becuase they were being supervised, it was extremely thorough and they went above/beyond in the write-ups, suggestions, etc.

Good Luck

Ohio

Academy for Gifted Children Cincinnati

Kindergarten through grade 12; (513) 794-1404

Menlo Park Academy Lorain and Westlake

Developing the potential of gifted students, K-9th, No Tuition, Certified Teachers, Free testing, IQ 127+ or meet OH gifted criteria

Schilling School for Gifted Children Cincinnati

Kindergarten through grade 12; IQ 130+

I apologize I see there are some amazing schools in Ohio. Since we live in an academic wasteland it is easy to assume that there are no schools for gifted learners.

Ohio

Developing the potential of gifted students, K-9th, No Tuition, Certified Teachers, Free testing, IQ 127+ or meet OH gifted criteria

I apologize I see there are some amazing schools in Ohio. Since we live in an academic wasteland it is easy to assume that there are no schools for gifted learners.

The Academy closed a few years ago. :tongue_smilie:So our choices in the area are lower than then they were.

Schilling used to let homeschoolers come PT, but they are changing their model, so while I was thinking of doing some PT stuff there next year, I am SOL.

However, there are 2 gifted enrichment programs in the area, as well.

I also Third Dr. Amend. I cannot personally afford him, but I have many friends who do and they swear by him. In this area thee is also a testing place called Powers.

It is a bit weird that Cincinnati could be a hotbed for gifted education. It is actually one of the reasons I lobbied the Cincinnati convention to get some more gifted speakers/vendors. ;)

Ohio

Ohio is a bit of a wasteland, too, except for Cincinnati and maybe Cleveland sometimes. :glare: I was actually thinking of the schools in the Ann Arbor/Detroit area. If about $50,000 fell from the sky for tuition, I wouldn't be homeschooling. :001_smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Dawn, we did the testing through Regent University (as recommended by Julianne) last year and were pleased wth the results. It is through the Psychological Services Center, so it is grad students doing the testing under the supervision of professors.

They have a huge list of tests they will administer at a fraction of the usual cost, or you can do a "full battery" of testing for $250. AND -- I will let you in on the secret I stumbled on -- if you call during the first month of each semester (so January in your case), they cut the price in half. They did IQ tests, achievement tests, personality tests, behavioral tests, parent questionnaires, and more.

They do the testing over several weeks, but they would probably be able to do both of your boys at the same time to cut down on your trips (this was an issue for me, long drive and 3 younger kids to entertain for 2 hours each time).

FWIW -- The tests generally confirmed what I suspected (both of my oldest boys are 2e, which I have known and have shared with you), but also showed some little things that surprised me. I left there with official scores that could get my kids into a gifted program if we decide to go that route, but more importantly I left there with an OFFICIAL diagnosis of the learning disability I have suspected for years in my oldest, meaning that if we ever put him into school they are legally required to make adaptations, which means he has many more options available to him down the road.

Thanks so very much, Colleen! I really appreciate all of the info.

Dawn, we did the testing through Regent University (as recommended by Julianne) last year and were pleased wth the results. It is through the Psychological Services Center, so it is grad students doing the testing under the supervision of professors.

They have a huge list of tests they will administer at a fraction of the usual cost, or you can do a "full battery" of testing for $250. AND -- I will let you in on the secret I stumbled on -- if you call during the first month of each semester (so January in your case), they cut the price in half. They did IQ tests, achievement tests, personality tests, behavioral tests, parent questionnaires, and more.

They do the testing over several weeks, but they would probably be able to do both of your boys at the same time to cut down on your trips (this was an issue for me, long drive and 3 younger kids to entertain for 2 hours each time).

FWIW -- The tests generally confirmed what I suspected (both of my oldest boys are 2e, which I have known and have shared with you), but also showed some little things that surprised me. I left there with official scores that could get my kids into a gifted program if we decide to go that route, but more importantly I left there with an OFFICIAL diagnosis of the learning disability I have suspected for years in my oldest, meaning that if we ever put him into school they are legally required to make adaptations, which means he has many more options available to him down the road.

• 6 months later...
I can personally recommend Dr. Edward Amend in Kentucky.

http://www.amendpsych.com/biographies.html

http://www.education.com/reference/article/parents-individual-assessment-gifted/

Our evaluation with Dr. Amend was the best thing we've done for our son.

S

We plan on driving the 5+ hours to take my ds when he turns 6 to dr ammend. (we are waiting for the WISC) I talked with him briefly over the phone, and he really knows his stuff.