Menu

are you concerned over a food shortage?

As several people have pointed out that LDS (Mormon) leaders counsel people to have a one year supply of the basics not five years.

Last year Dh's work/ pay was cut, so we lived for 14 months on 30% of our usual, non-extravagant income. We live in the city and are not allowed to keep chickens, goats or other useful animals, and our yard is tiny so gardening is difficult (but not impossible.) Because we had food stored we could cut our food budget to almost nothing, cut our other bills where we could and we managed to get through without going into debt

This is one of the types of "emergency" that food storage is useful for. We also live smack in the middle of earthquake country and that can interrupt food transportation, electricity,etc. The Red Cross recommendation is for storage of 2 weeks worth of food.

Having a decent pantry/ food storage allows me to control my grocery spending. If I buy beans in bulk when they are on sale I won't run out before they go on sale again and have to pay full price.

Food storage is not only for Glen Beck listeners or survivalists.

Amber in SJ

Honestly? If it came to the point that we had food shortages in the US? There would be a LOT to worry about.

Yeah, and I bet "How am I going to eat today?" will be at the top of that worry list... if it came to that point, of course.

I don't see why you wouldn't prepare for emergencies. It seems like common sense to me. :confused: We are big on preparation because we do not think we are immune to bad things happening on our country's soil, our employment is not guaranteed, nor are we immune to natural disasters. We also realize our neighbors may not be prepared and we want to have plenty to go around.

And Glenn Beck ROCKS.

The "everyone" thing wasn't the right word. I'm going to go back and change it because it does sound far more dramatic than I meant.

No one needs other media to dislike Glenn Beck - that I get. However, places like the Huffington Post have a bit of an occasional fixation on him, I've noticed, and they often are the ones who up the drama over who is advertising on his show and why. I don't really get that because a smart advertiser will run to the show already talking about what they're selling for a prime audience. Do we freak because Al Gore is invested in green companies? Maybe we should. He's not even a radio show with advertisers.

But to be fair, perhaps we need to go there and get it out of the system, while still keeping the discussion on strack. Is there no real reason to stock up and Glenn Beck is simply driving fears to make a buck, or is there are real reason, he's crying out the warning, and a smart advertiser found a place to benefit from a need - as any good business would?

I only commented because I have noticed that if something was said on Fox News (again - I don't have cable and do not watch it), a certain number of brains shut off and the discussion gets snarky instead of productive. It gets old.

:iagree: Especially the last paragraph.

:iagree: It does seem as if people get mega riled if Foxnews is mentioned as if it is the only example of bias in the press. It does derail a lot of discussions.

That said, there is just too much speculation and manipulation behind the scenes of food, agriculture, and policies related to this plus the HUGE amount of misinformation always released to the public out of Wall Street and the Feds in order to puppetmaster stocks to whatever end.

So, to say that there is or isn't or probably will be or probably won't be or statistically this or that, yada, yada = food shortage, we really can't know without access to some awesome independent and unbiased sources who've used the scientific method to study the data. But, one thing we do know from history is that any government that keeps running the printing presses like money grows on trees, is going to seriously tank the economy. Therefore, given the historical record, it is probably accurate to say that there is real chance of food prices rising and in this economy, that means some will go hungry. Not from the lack of food available but from a lack of means to purchase it.

I think it's valuable to think about those things and work on ways of being more independent of the supermarket so that your family doesn't feel the pinch or have to seriously scale back eating habits for lack of affordable food.

It's even more valuable, with unemployment this high, to think about some food storage or independence for lean times due to no more job security for most Americans.

So, I hope that the focus of the discussion can be brought back to how each family approaches the real issues and not whether or not Fox News or Glen Beck or Al Gore or any other talking hot air ballon is predicting X. I did agree with the snake oil salesman comment and not because of Glen Beck but from the standpoint that in America, it is awful hard to get an opinion from anyone in the media that isn't backed by their personal wallet. It would be nice if this kind of tactic was still considered a conflict of interest and disgraceful.

Again, sorry for participating in the leading of the discussion away from the true topic.

Faith

You're kidding me, right? Many here are saying this solely due to what Glenn Beck says so he can make a buck? :001_huh: Sounds like some alternate media is getting to you about what to think of Beck, more than Beck is getting to me. I don't have cable to watch Fox News, and I've only occasionally had opportunity to catch his radio show because I, well, homeschool.

My husband has seen the writing on the wall for this for some time now, due to watching the markets, reading history, and other far less fun places to bash. I agree that we are about to see a major shift in economics and that food is a prime area for inflation. Preparing yourself for a food crisis has to do with a lot of things, in the ability for the average family to afford it if there is a jump in prices, and the ability for farmers to continue to produce it when they are often already barely managing. Feast and famine are pretty common through history and I highly doubt we have seen the end of this common human predicament.

Did you read all of what I said?

I don't deny the possibility (probability being another matter) of total economic collapse of the US. That would result in a whole series of problems, that would result in something more out of Mad Max than most people would like to believe. It would also have precursors that we have not experienced.

The "everyone" thing wasn't the right word. I'm going to go back and change it because it does sound far more dramatic than I meant.

No one needs other media to dislike Glenn Beck - that I get. However, places like the Huffington Post have a bit of an occasional fixation on him, I've noticed, and they often are the ones who up the drama over who is advertising on his show and why. I don't really get that because a smart advertiser will run to the show already talking about what they're selling for a prime audience. Do we freak because Al Gore is invested in green companies? Maybe we should. He's not even a radio show with advertisers.

But to be fair, perhaps we need to go there and get it out of the system, while still keeping the discussion on strack. Is there no real reason to stock up and Glenn Beck is simply driving fears to make a buck, or is there are real reason, he's crying out the warning, and a smart advertiser found a place to benefit from a need - as any good business would?

I don't read Huff Po anymore than I watch Beck. But, it sounds to me like you haven't seen his shtick.

Well, we take a lot for granted. The three main pillars of developed civilization are the availability of power (electricity), transportation and a financial system to make it go. If any one of those three goes down for a significant amount of time, they all go down. Based on what happened two years ago, I wouldn't be completely comfortable thinking we have nothing to worry about.

It is said we are only nine missed meals away from the collapse of civilization. Food for thought.

But is a two week supply of food going to save you in that situation? No. So, it is ridiculous if you predict the DOOOM of civilization and say "buy this two week supply of food, it will save you." That is preying upon people's fears, not actually helping the situation in any way.

eta: Stores are ALWAYS short on things like sugar, butter and cranberries the week before Thanksgiving. I bought 4 boxes of butter last weekend because the last 2 years they have been out of butter the week of Thanksgiving. It was not a sign of food shortages.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I'm more concerned about the "sanity" shortage :D

Bill

... you mean when something bad happens? Or now?

I think being prepared keeps the sanity down in case of an emergency. I bet those that have food to feed their families will keep their heads better than those that don't.

... you mean when something bad happens? Or now?

I think being prepared keeps the sanity down in case of an emergency.

I'm sure you mean "up"? :D

There is a world of difference between being prepared for an emergency and believing that "the sky is falling." I'm not a fan of demagogues who try to set off food-panics. Having some food and water on hand in case of emergency is a good idea.

Bill (for santiy, against in-sanity)

Edited by Spy Car

Did you read all of what I said?

I don't read Huff Po anymore than I watch Beck. But, it sounds to me like you haven't seen his shtick.

Hmmm... I hadn't seen that, but it honestly doesn't bother me. It's very common anymore for companies to hire sympathetic famous personalities to peddle their stuff. I've heard an untold number of radio personalities plugging law firms for wills, "who will take care of your children?", ones peddle things to save energy because "we are killing our planet", etc. Cancer treatment centers, divorce lawyers, windows... It's as common as dirt anymore. We may hate it, but I can't say I'm up in arms because Glenn Beck does it too, like he's somehow unique. He believes this stuff, as much as the go green people believe their stuff and peddle things that match what they believe.

I could go nuts saying they're peddling their doom and gloom to make a buck, and I could find evidence. This doesn't mean they are WRONG about global warming (nor does it mean they're right). If they think they're right, they should go with companies that conserve energy and/or invest in things they happen to believe in.

Forgive me, but I'm unimpressed as to why this is worthy of our attention enough to divert the discussion.

Forgive me, but I'm unimpressed as to why this is worthy of our attention enough to divert the discussion.

It is directly related to what the OP actually wanted to know. Here's why:

I keep hearing we should be stocking up on food, and to not always think stores are going to be carrying food in the future.

Are you concerned over this, and are you stocking up?

i'm wondering who is trying to make you fearful, and what they gain by that.

Well, I have not been to concerned. I have been hearing about alot of this through my MIL who listens to Glenn Beck a lot. Things have been said that food is going to skyrocket in price. And that people should not assume stores will always be there.

Should she buy a 2 week food insurance bag or start pouring her money into investing in gold because her MIL listens to Glenn Beck? No.

Is it ever unwise to think ahead a bit and prepare for real (not imagined) emergencies? Certainly not.

Should she buy a 2 week food insurance bag or start pouring her money into investing in gold because her MIL listens to Glenn Beck? No.

Ok. I can agree with this. JUST because someone says something, no. Certainly not. Do your own homework. Everyone. Always.

Is it ever unwise to think ahead a bit and prepare for real (not imagined) emergencies? Certainly not.

Agreed again. However, if Glenn Beck awakens someone who was previously oblivious to possible danger, that alone could be good if steered in the right direction.

Perhaps I've just gotten a bit over-sensitive to the Pavlovian response to anything said by a Fox personality, (not directing this specifically at you), instead of honestly looking into the subject to educate one's fellow conservative dunderhead. :tongue_smilie:

Agreed again. However, if Glenn Beck awakens someone who was previously oblivious to possible danger, that alone could be good if steered in the right direction.

I don't know if I agree. Is his version of this probable? No, not really. Should people look into REAL reasons for food storage? Sure.

Granted, this is coming from someone who is moving over an ocean and a continent in a couple of months, I'm trying to get rid of all my accumulated stuff. :tongue_smilie:

Russia had a drought and has banned the export of wheat.

There have been other droughts and the increase of foods grown for biofuels. Even the UN has issued a statement about a global food crisis.

However, these will have little affect on folks in the US and other first world countries (other then some raised prices for foods imported).

I don't think we need to panic (anyone remember the rice panic a few years ago?). Preparation is one thing (we don't assume our charmed lives will always be the way they are currently), fear another.

Unfortunately things will be hard in countries with underdeveloped agriculture that depend on cheap import grains like wheat, rice, and corn. Perhaps a thread on how we can prepare for that would be in order.

The LDS church did recommend 3 years at one point, although I do believe it is down to one year now. I still have a couple print-outs that talk about 3 year supplies somewhere.

I've been storing food for a long time. The stores haven't run out yet, but we've eaten out of the pantry for a few months in a row on more than one occasion. It's also MUCH cheaper in the long run to buy once a year at rock bottom prices. We picked up 50 lbs of butter at 50¢ a lb and stuck it in our chest freezer, for example. We don't do MREs. (Store what you eat, and eat what you store, right?)

I've been without food a few times in my life. That was enough to make me want to do everything in my power to ensure that my own children will never have that experience. As neurotic tendencies go, this one is fairly benign. I've never watched it, but I bet that Hoarders show would have a field day with my house. Some people collect knick-knacks or go on vacations. I buy food. I also grow it and can it myself. It's a decision that I haven't regretted yet.

(And I don't watch Glenn Beck.)

I am working on a one year supply of food currently, good on some things, others it takes longer.

I do this as it seems prudent to do and as pp stated buying in bulk and watching sales I can save money. We eat a whole foods diet that is G/D/S-Free so a lot of things it just works out to buy in bulk. Like chickens the farm only raises in the summer, so I buy a years worth at a time. Maple syrup - sugaring is done in the fall, so I buy enough to make it past the start of next sugaring.

We are not LDS, Catholic actually, conservative but not big Beck fans. I think Beck is a bit off his rocker. I think a lot of people in the preparedness movement are a bit of fear mongers looking for everything to get riled about. I don't think it is helpful to live in fear and panic. But, to each his own.

This talk goes in waves and usually starts in late fall. There is a social group here devoted to stocking up. The first few times I hear this talk, I panicked. Now I just always purchase by the case, on sale, and I use our stored items as my grocery store. You'll save $$$ by doing that and have piece of mind. My parents lived through the depression and my father insisted that we always have three months supply of food on hand and cash, but we won't go there.

Our stored items are simple, canned foods that I'm willing to eat and can include on a regular bases at least once a week (corn, chili beans, pineapples, apple sauce, jars of tomato sauce, etc.) dried beans bought in bulk, lots of rice and pasta, wheat berries and a mill, seasonings, oil. Just enough to get us through a long stretch of rotten weather or allow us to survive the initial panic if the economy bottoms up. Start simply by picking up a case of something on sale, that your family already likes to eat, each time you shop. Be sure to make your purchases at stores that offer turkeys for 39cents a pound (or whatever it is in your area) with $25 purchase and so that you can stock up on poultry at the same time.

I believe food prices are already on the rise, dramatically where I live. I read within the last two months on the Wall Street Journal about a failed wheat crop in Russia and how they are not exporting wheat. China and India are currently having a healthy economy and are importing food at high rates. I also read about a failed sugar crop. Cooler summers across the US in food producing areas also prevented some crops from thriving. Eggs are outrageous here, maybe because of the Salmonella debacle this summer.

Some crops are suppressed to help regulate prices. But if those crops fail then prices go up on those because of scarcity.

The Wall Street Journal is a great place for factual updates on what is happening in all industries across the globe. Ag reports are fun, CNBC with Fast Money and MadMoney are great, too!