Menu

If it's spring, it's time for my annual "When to schedule piano lessons?" post.

Here I am again ~ pondering whether or not to keep on keeping on with our current piano instructor. I feel like a schmuck, bringing this up again, but...Here's the deal. My oldest started piano five years ago with a great young gal who, after the first year of lessons, moved away in order to pursue graduate studies. Drat. I've held out hope she'd head back this way, but she's now married and settled Somewhere Else. So. I entered the mix of People Looking for Decent Piano Instructors, Wherein Demand Exceeds Supply.;)

I was able to enroll my son with a highly recommended instructor. She has degrees in music history and piano pedagogy; these kind of credentials matter to me. I prefer a teacher who has pursued this through his/her studies, rather than an individual who merely teaches piano on the side to earn some extra income, if you kwim. This woman had been married quite a while but had no children and teaching piano was definitely her career. We no sooner started with her than she became pregnant with her first child. And last fall, she had her second child. So now she has two small people.

At this point, I have my older three all enrolled with her. Every year, I reconsider whether to continue with her because I am frustrated with her schedule. She's drastically reduced her workload, which is of course understandable; I myself would take a break altogether from teaching if I were her. At the same time, she does have the opportunity to be more flexible. This year, for example, her husband has been on sabbatical (he teaches at a local university) and is essentially a stay-at-home dad. Yet she only offered lessons on two days, during specific hours, and despite having a very limited year (mid-Oct through end of April) she's taken a number of breaks.

Point is, she wants us to come during the day, when we school. Each year I've told her I prefer late-afternoons. Each year she says other students can't come in the a.m. and early afternoon, whereas we can. I am at the point wherein gathering everyone to leave home one morning each week is Stressful. And in the case of my oldest, we can't just lop off school hours left and right. I am considering enrolling him in a homeschool academy science class this fall, which is scheduled for two mornings each week. So...two mornings at a science class and one at piano...? I feel like I'd be twisting myself into a pretzel trying to get the rest of his studies into the week.

Sounds like I know what to do, eh? Bow out and go with another instructor. Problem? There are so few piano teachers (well-educated in the field or otherwise) who are accepting new students. I'm not kidding when I say the demand far exceeds the supply! And one absolutely grand benefit with our current instructor ~ beyond the fact that she is a good teacher whom my boys like quite well ~ is her location. Her house isn't even three miles away from mine. It's right in town, a few blocks away from other resources like the library. It is WONDERFUL to be able to have my guys bike to lessons, if need be, or head down to the library after lessons, etc. Driving a half hour to lessons and/or sitting in the car biding time while they're in lessons would be a major issue for me.

Oh, good grief, sorry for going on and on. Would you just keep on doing morning lessons with this woman? Or go for lessons right after lunch, when she can also take us? Or drop her altogether? I don't have the luxury of shopping around. She wants to know within the next week or so whether we'll be continuing with her in the fall. (And this is an issue now because she's taking a hu-u-u-ge summer break this year.)

Opinions? Thanks muchly.

If I were you, I think I would continue trying to work with her for another year. Science in eighth grade still could be homeschooled quite successfully. Just hope that by ninth grade, the piano situation will have improved.

Okay, you like her and her style for the most part, right? Continuity of teaching, IMO, is valuable in this area. IF you can just find a way to do it with her, I would. What about the right after lunch time? We do lessons in early afternoon with our teacher. We can do things after if needed as well. I would stick with her and shoot for the after lunch time slot. That way you have the mornings and can also continue in the afternoon if needed.

If I were you, I think I would continue trying to work with her for another year. Science in eighth grade still could be homeschooled quite successfully. Just hope that by ninth grade, the piano situation will have improved.

Yes, science can of course be homeschooled successfully. I'm not worried about that, per se. Rather, my oldest son has been yearning for several years to do something beyond the boundaries of homeschool. I've considered this option (the homeschool "academy") before but not mentioned it aloud. My son recently asked if he might take a course there next year and I think I owe it to him to give it serious consideration.

I appreciate your reply...and as an aside, noticed that you and your husband are "Bob and Emily" which brings to mind fond memories of the original Bob Newhart Show.;)

Okay, you like her and her style for the most part, right? Continuity of teaching, IMO, is valuable in this area.

Yep, I agree.

What about the right after lunch time? We do lessons in early afternoon with our teacher. We can do things after if needed as well.

Does that happen regularly ~ getting things done after lessons, I mean? It's hard for me to envision doing school in the morning, having a quick (e.g. stressed) lunch, rushing out the door to piano lessons, rushing back home, and picking up where we'd left off at, say, three or four in the afternoon. Maybe I'm making it harder than need be...?

I'd stick with her - the longer you're with her, the more leverage you have. We have a similar teacher for my oldest ds. It's a pita to get him to his early afternoon lesson and disrupts our day. Ds values the lessons enough that he's willing to do extra work on non-piano days.

You know how your son feels. I would probably just set up a meeting with the teacher and say I need "x, x, and x" next year. She relies on you if you have three kids enrolled in her piano school. Don't undervalue the worth of volume. She knows you, she knows your kids. It's in her interest to adjust her schedule to accommodate you.

Good luck - it's so hard schdeduling everyting as they get older.

I'd stick with her - the longer you're with her, the more leverage you have.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping, though so far it's not been the reality.

I would probably just set up a meeting with the teacher and say I need "x, x, and x" next year. She relies on you if you have three kids enrolled in her piano school.

We just had the year-end parent-teacher conference. I planned to let her know (and did let her know) that lessons during the day really don't work for us. She basically nodded and smiled and said, "It's hard, I'm sure". I pressed her and said, "What if I told you all my boys would be going to school in the fall? If we were beholden to the school schedule just like some of these other students, would you drop us, or...?" She didn't have an answer but in my heart of hearts I do think she'd drop us. She actually only has a dozen or so students now and it's fine with her if it's just a little something on the side. So the ball is really in my court, kwim?

Thanks for your feedback, Amy.

We did this for the first time today. My dd10 came home and rather than clean she asked if she could finish her school work that was waiting from earlier. We had art lessons and an hour at the park. But we only spent about 30 minutes on the writing, and the 3 year old was sitting with us at the table painting paper and himself.

Btw, our lessons are after lunch on Thursdays. And if you like the teacher, after lunch isn't as bad as in the morning. Maybe he could do some extra work the day before, like double math lessons or read 2 chapters in history so that the work on the day of piano lesson isn't as long.

HTH!

Kimberly

I can't tell you how many times it was assumed that I was available during the day because we homeschool. There is a perception out there that because our schedule is potentially flexible, that it really IS flexible in this way. Maybe you can drop her a hint by saying something like, "One of the hardest things as a homeschooler is when people don't realize that we have a full routine (especially the older boys), and think that we should be available during the school day. It makes me wonder if people think we sit around doing nothing, or that we do our schoolwork at night!" Something like that. :)

That being said, we go to violin a little early (2:30) because it is a time that is available (because P.S. students aren't home from school yet). I'm sure our teacher would make another time available for us if necessary, because dd has been her student for six years now... but by coming a little early we help her out (she can take more students)... as a result, she is generous and patient with us. So maybe that could be a compromise? Closer to 2:00 or 2:30? Maybe if all three boys didn't have lesson on the same day (I'm assuming they do for some reason), you'd be able to eek out a mid-afternoon lesson time for them. Or at least do the early afternoon lesson time with only one of them, preferrably the younger.

Good luck with your decision!

Robin

P.S. Personally,I would prefer a teacher that went year round, but that's just me.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping, though so far it's not been the reality.

We just had the year-end parent-teacher conference. I planned to let her know (and did let her know) that lessons during the day really don't work for us. She basically nodded and smiled and said, "It's hard, I'm sure". I pressed her and said, "What if I told you all my boys would be going to school in the fall? If we were beholden to the school schedule just like some of these other students, would you drop us, or...?" She didn't have an answer but in my heart of hearts I do think she'd drop us. She actually only has a dozen or so students now and it's fine with her if it's just a little something on the side. So the ball is really in my court, kwim?

Thanks for your feedback, Amy.

Well, then, imo, ask her if she will suggest a teacher who is able to accommodate your schedule. That teacher might not be your first choice, but you can rethink it as the boys progress.

Good luck.

Well... I think that I would look around and just see what is available. It might be fine to stay with her, but then again it might not. Can you consolidate your "out" days (if you are for certain going to do the co-op)? That might be asking for too much of you mentally as it is a drain to be out so long, but if you could it might work out. Then you could guard your days at home. Perhaps the younger boys could do their lessons while Jan is at the co-op? I have *no* idea if this could work as far as location, time of co-op, etc. is concerned--just thinking and writing at the same time. (Which can be dangerous sometimes...) :)

I really agree with and understand your liking the credentials of the piano teacher. But you are not really getting much benefit from that if she is unavailable from April through October. That is half the year. Given that and that she is not scheduling you at the time of day you want, I would find another teacher, even with lesser credentials, that is available all year.

I can't tell you how many times it was assumed that I was available during the day because we homeschool. There is a perception out there that because our schedule is potentially flexible, that it really IS flexible in this way.

Exactly ~ and it bothers me.

Maybe you can drop her a hint by saying something like, "One of the hardest things as a homeschooler is when people don't realize that we have a full routine (especially the older boys), and think that we should be available during the school day."

During my meeting with her yesterday, I said (not for the first time) that I school during school hours, just like people who choose to use the school system and explained that in essence, I'm no more "available" during that time than is anyone else. But it's clear she's not going to budge one iota with regard to her schedule. She's teaching two days a week and has the after-school slots set aside for students who are "in" school. The latest she's willing to take us is around 1 pm.

Personally,I would prefer a teacher that went year round, but that's just me.

Oh, I agree! I took ten years of piano when I was growing up and during that time I had several different teachers. None of them stopped lessons during the school summer break. I assumed year-round lessons were the norm. Not the case here where I live. I've yet to hear of a teacher who goes year-round ~ or any parents who want them to. Very odd to me.

Thanks for your input, Robin. Nice to "see" you.:)

Can you consolidate your "out" days (if you are for certain going to do the co-op)?

The "school" I mentioned won't have their fall schedule out for a while yet, given that it's only April. That makes it hard to commit to a time slot for piano. I explained that to the teacher, but she is just bound and determined to get this all in place now.

Oh, dear. The more I write about this, the more annoyed I am about her lack of flexibility. Part of me wants to tell her, on principle, that we can't continue with her. But too often, when I act "on principle", I live to regret it. I may just need to make a commitment with her...and back out if I can line something else up. Not that I want to back down on my word. But I said yesterday that I really can't make this decision now and she responded by asking me to let her know within the next few days. So I have zero time to figure anything out. Grrr...!

I really agree with and understand your liking the credentials of the piano teacher. But you are not really getting much benefit from that if she is unavailable from April through October.

I was so surprised when we started up with this teacher at the long summer break she takes. It's usually from the beginning of June until the end of September. She wants her break time align with her husband's (who as I mentioned teaches at a university). It's a bit odd because most teachers just follow the local school schedule. But she wants to be in synch with the college, even though their schedule is different altogether.

Now this year she' stopping lessons a full six weeks ahead of time, at the end of April, since her dh is on a break. Imo, she wants to have her cake and eat it, too. Seems it'd be difficult to maintain a piano studio with so little flexibility but apparently I'm the only one put out by it...

your piano teacher's inflexibility. Considering you have 3 of your boys with her, she's not being accommodating at all.

I think it's a good idea to commit with her for now, and try to find someone else in the meantime for next year. If she'd be willing to drop you guys so easily, then you shouldn't feel bad for dropping her if you find another teacher.

I also think it's better to find a teacher who will teach for more than just 6 months of the year. How much do your boys retain with not having lessons from May to Oct? Most teachers here just take July and August off.

Colleen

The "school" I mentioned won't have their fall schedule out for a while yet, given that it's only April. That makes it hard to commit to a time slot for piano. I explained that to the teacher, but she is just bound and determined to get this all in place now.

Oh, dear. The more I write about this, the more annoyed I am about her lack of flexibility. Part of me wants to tell her, on principle, that we can't continue with her. But too often, when I act "on principle", I live to regret it. I may just need to make a commitment with her...and back out if I can line something else up. Not that I want to back down on my word. But I said yesterday that I really can't make this decision now and she responded by asking me to let her know within the next few days. So I have zero time to figure anything out. Grrr...!

We are going through the exact same thing. We love our piano teacher and have been with her 3 years. She does hs students in the mornings 2 days a week and ps students after 3 pm 2 days a week. With 3 in lessons it takes a full 2 hours out of our Wednesday mornings. DH has asked me specifically next year to not schedule anything in the mornings-- basically until after 2 pm. It makes him so mad no one respects the school day of homeschoolers that is considered so sacred to those at the public school. Just because our kids don't attend the brick building in the center of town means they are free reign for midday activities.

I have no advice, just lots of agreeing here-- we have our meeting today to try to get it worked out for next year. We also stop lessons in May which is nice on the budget but I think they would progress more if they went year round. Sounds like it could be a common problem.

Of course, I have a reputation for being a big push-over, but still -- if she is only teaching a dozen or so students, your family makes up a fourth of her studio.

From what I "know" of you on the board, I would think that your boys arrive for their lessons promptly, fully prepared, and you pay on time. That is sadly the exception to the rule, at least in my area. More teachers quit because of the hassle of no-shows and late payments than for any other reason.

I work with a family that has provided lessons for their three boys (at great sacrifice of time and resources). Never late, never complain, never unprepared or missing materials. This year, I had determined that I would NOT teach any lessons before 2 pm (I'm trying to homeschool, too!) However, it took me all of 30 seconds to say "yes" when this family asked if I could please take the boys at 12:30. Because I truly value working with them.

I think your teacher is foolish to risk losing your family, and I do think she is being a bit unreasonable. I also think mid-April is an unreasonable time to demand scheduling. I wouldn't blame you if you found someone else.

Now. All of that said -- there is a lot to be said for a teacher that relates well to your children (and please don't assume that "credentials" will accomplish that: I have had a family return to little ol' uncredentialed me after spending a year with a highly educated teacher while I was on sabbatical, and I have to say with all honesty, they wasted a lot of time and money, and have very little progress to show for it). So, given her rapport with your boys, and her excellent location, I also wouldn't blame you if you stayed with her.

The after lunch time slot really shouldn't be that bad -- my dd has band twice a week from 12:30 to 1:30; we have found that if we stop at the library on the way home from band, we can get a LOT of work done. It's a novelty, you see, to work at the little study cubby there; plus, it's quiet so you really can't pick a fight with your sister. And the books inspire us. So yes, work after a break for music can be done (and we are notorious for not being able to focus on our schoolwork, so what I'm saying is, if we can do it, ANYONE can do it -- we are a family of flakes who don't really like to study to begin with).

Here's a suggestion: IF there is ONE teacher who does offer summer lessons, could you try her for just the summer? I can assure you, she probably would welcome filling some space and she probably needs the income. This way, you could get a foot in the door somewhere else, find out how much your current teacher really means to you, etc. Just a thought.

Does that happen regularly ~ getting things done after lessons, I mean? It's hard for me to envision doing school in the morning, having a quick (e.g. stressed) lunch, rushing out the door to piano lessons, rushing back home, and picking up where we'd left off at, say, three or four in the afternoon. Maybe I'm making it harder than need be...?

Sorry I didn't get back. I'm on the other side and go to bed early!

It is hard for us to get going in the mornings. We sleep later and are not morning people. Actually, my kids have often worked better after lunch than before.

I, too, would be stressed and annoyed by the inflexibility of the situation. It is tough. But, doing things later in the day really isn't that bad. You would just have to see if you wanted them to save the things that they do more independently for that time or to hold off on something they really enjoy and you all do together (if there is such a subj. for you all). It might take some trial and error.

If you do choose to stay with her, I would change the lessons to after lunch. That will give you a full morning before the dc leave home, and would allow a little more school work to be completed.

I find it very strange that she is so inflexible with your family; if she has only a dozen students, your family makes up 25% of them. I'm wondering if she already has someone lined up to step in if you decide not to come back to her.

Here's a thought you may or may not find helpful for this situation. Recently, my boys both got braces. The orthodontist offered us a % discount if we would schedule all of their appointments between the hours of 9 and 2, his slow time. We have taken him up on that offer since the follow-up appointments take only 20 or 30 minutes combined, and I schedule them just before/after lunch. I realize money isn't the issue here, but since you are basically doing the teacher a favor by coming so early for piano lessons each week, could you mention something like that to her? That might help her to see how selfish she is being with her time slots.

You know, the more I'm thinking as I type, I would probably just look for another teacher. You are the one paying for the services, and you should be getting what you want.

Ours only teaches from the end of September until the 1st week of May. That is almost 5 months off for Summer!!! Also, she only teaches on Wednesday and Thursday. I can pick just about any time slot so that is nice. On Thursday morning, we have a homeschool gym class from 10 to 12. I opted to schedule our piano time at 8 am on Thurday before gym. I fairly certain nothing will happen schoolwise that morning for gym so we might as well go to piano. Man, I hate Thurday mornings but then at least I'm not blowing another day with it. Do you think you could schedule your lessons up against the science classes? I think it is my personality but I find that if something interrupts my schoolday schedule then it throws me off. Good luck and know that you aren't the only one!!:001_smile:

Dawn

I was so surprised when we started up with this teacher at the long summer break she takes. It's usually from the beginning of June until the end of September. She wants her break time align with her husband's (who as I mentioned teaches at a university). It's a bit odd because most teachers just follow the local school schedule. But she wants to be in synch with the college, even though their schedule is different altogether.

Now this year she' stopping lessons a full six weeks ahead of time, at the end of April, since her dh is on a break. Imo, she wants to have her cake and eat it, too. Seems it'd be difficult to maintain a piano studio with so little flexibility but apparently I'm the only one put out by it...

I find that surprising as well. Our current teacher requires students to have at least 4 lessons in the summer to be in her classes starting in the fall. Our classes run mid-Sept. to mid-May so other than the 4 summer classes we're on an 8 month schedule.

My dd has her lessons at 2pm (she's currently taking two classes/week because they're trying to cover a lot of material) and those days we NEVER finish school before her lesson. But our teacher is totally booked all school days after school, so we knew going into it this would be the only time she could take us. So my dd and I have the understanding that she WILL do school after 3pm those days.

I have to say though as we've moved into high school (she's in 10th grade) she has found she needs time in the evenings to complete her reading etc. so it wasn't just piano that pushed schoolwork later in the day. It's just that school takes so much time :)

I feel your pain. We have been taking lessons for years in a town almost an hour away and it really cuts into school time. It's a School of Music and Performing Arts and I love the teachers there. However, I've made the tough decision that we just can't keep attending because of the time involved.

Could you cut lessons down to every two weeks? That may not be an option for her or one that you would find palatable. I would have done that, but the teachers really need the weekly paycheck.

Best wishes on figuring it out!

Cindy

That would really bug me. It shows a huge disrespect for what you are doing. She is, after all, the employee and should work (at least somewhat) with your schedule. I would probably just say, "I'm sorry. Mornings do not work for us. Those are our schooling hours and I don't budge on those. When are other times that we can make it work?" I'm sure you already did that, but it makes me mad when people think that I homeschool, so I can just fit whatever into my schedule during the day. You will find that with the science class, you have to be even more structured and firm about your time. At least, that has been the case with us in our co-op. I don't feel like I have hardly *any* free or flex time in our schedule. That is one of the trade-offs with doing an outside class. But, I think it is nice that you are considering that for your son, I know he has been wanting something.

I was hoping a piano teacher would reply; thanks for your perspective. Yes, it seems very strange to me that she wouldn't be more flexible given that my boys are three of only a handful of students.:001_huh: I honestly don't know of a single person who teaches through the summer, but if I find one, I'd consider having my guys do some lessons with him/her. Sigh...it just doesn't seem like this should be such an issue.

Here's a thought you may or may not find helpful for this situation. Recently, my boys both got braces. The orthodontist offered us a % discount if we would schedule all of their appointments between the hours of 9 and 2, his slow time. We have taken him up on that offer since the follow-up appointments take only 20 or 30 minutes combined, and I schedule them just before/after lunch. I realize money isn't the issue here, but since you are basically doing the teacher a favor by coming so early for piano lessons each week, could you mention something like that to her? That might help her to see how selfish she is being with her time slots.

That's cool that your ortho made that offer! Some how, knowing this teacher as I do, I just can *not* imagine her offering a price break like that. She does have two other homeschooled students, so then she'd need to lower their tuition, too. I can't see it happening, given her lack of flexibility in other respects.

It's good to know my expectations seem reasonable to the rest of you.

That would really bug me. It shows a huge disrespect for what you are doing. She is, after all, the employee and should work (at least somewhat) with your schedule.

That's how I feel, Mindy. I was very surprised the other day when I told her point-blank we can't continue scheduling lessons during our school hours and she essentially said, "Too bad, so sad." I suggested that she might need to be a bit more flexible ~ for example, consider teaching one more afternoon each week. She offered a rather patronizing smile and said teaching isn't her primary job right now. Well...no kidding. Given that I have five children, I'm familiar with the demands of parenting. But since she chooses to continue teaching, since she wants to do that, she should (imo) be more willing to negotiate.

Any-hoo. I need to stop feeling so worked up about this. I'm going to go ahead and reserve our places for the fall but pursue other options. Thanks for all the input!

This may not be helpful, but the piano teacher is running a business at her convenience. You should treat her instruction like you treat anything else you buy. She is giving you the incentive to shop for something better.

Since you have 5 months until the next set of lessons start, why don't you tryout some of the other teachers in the area. She still may be your best option.

I don't think she is being terribly fair to you, but I guess you have to either take it or leave it from her responses to you. I would probably seek other avenues for paino lessons even if they are not as well-schooled. I have to agree with Ballzy here. OR, I would use her for as long as it works for you and then decide when you get the fall schedule if continuing with her is feasible. Sorry you are facing this. It almost sounds like she does not really care if she has your business or not--that you are not valued and yet you bring her three students. That seems off balance to me. :glare:

That's cool that your ortho made that offer!

I've never thought about this before, but our ortho's wife homeschools their daughter; maybe he started this policy because he understands how disruptive it is for students to leave their studies in the middle of the day and then try to return to them.

I need to make sure I tell him how much I appreciate the way he does business.