Menu

Knifty Knitter-what type for a beginner (dd10)?

We love the nifty knitter. My dd (16) and her cousins, ages 10 and 12 make lovely hats and scarfs all the time. They just made some to send to an orphanage in Romania. Last year my dd made beautiful scarfs for all of her aunts for Christmas and a shawl for her Great Grandmother.

My dd thinks the scarf one is a bit easier, but then said not really, they are both easy once you learn how. The bulkier yarn is easier to handle and makes for warmer hats. But they have also used many types of yarn for different looks. They even doubled up yarn that was thinner to make it warmer and give an unusual look. Came out great and really warm.

I think all you need is the knifty knitter thingy, a hook and yarn. The basic set comes with the hook. You can buy the hook separately if needed.

Nicole

I have no experience with Knifty Knitter or any of those looms for knitting, but I have a little bit of experience with chenille yarn. I would not recommend it for a beginner. It's not stretchy and can "worm"--the yarny bits can get separated from the inner thread that holds it together. You could try a worsted weight acrylic like Vanna's Choice, Woolease, Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn, or Michael's Loops and Threads. Or wool--Paton's Classic or Stitch Nation yarns. If your patterns recommend something bulkier, Paton's and Lion Brand have some bulky or super bulky weight that you can get at your local craft store.

If you're new to yarn weights, this chart at LionBrand.com might be helpful.

Enjoy!

Cinder

I have a set of the round looms and the long looms. I would recommend the round looms for a child. The child probably won't have the patience to make a blanket or other large project with the long looms. The round looms can be used to make hats, scarves, and other quick projects.

thank you for this recommendation...I appreciate that!! Will the small round loom make hats for her AG type dolls?? Is that the size??

thank you for this recommendation...I appreciate that!! Will the small round loom make hats for her AG type dolls?? Is that the size??

The set I have is by Knifty Knitter one and has a blue 5.5" diameter loom, red 7.5" one, a green 9" one, and a yellow 11" one. The small blue loom makes newborn sized hats that might fit an AG doll (we don't have one so I can't say for sure). The red loom makes toddler/young child hats. The green one makes older child/smaller adult hats. The yellow one makes large adult hats.

The set I have is by Knifty Knitter one and has a blue 5.5" diameter loom, red 7.5" one, a green 9" one, and a yellow 11" one. The small blue loom makes newborn sized hats that might fit an AG doll

The baby-size do fit AG dolls. 8yo dd has made matching hats for her and doll. :)

THANK you! What kind is it for a hat-is that the round one? Does it matter what size, or is there only one size?

There are different sizes. My dd uses the round red one the most. The smaller blue one would fit babies. If she is wanting to make hats for herself, friends or family she will want the red one. My dd used the sm blue one to learn on and was disappointed it didn't fit.

There are different sizes. My dd uses the round red one the most. The smaller blue one would fit babies. If she is wanting to make hats for herself, friends or family she will want the red one. My dd used the sm blue one to learn on and was disappointed it didn't fit.

we use the green one for children and adults when making hats....the red one is too small (at least on our big heads). we use wool, so that may make a difference as well.

We love our round looms. We have make mittens, socks, hats, cell phone holders, and freeze pop holders with ours. The kids have had alot of fun.

do you have a pattern for mittens? I know to use the blue loom, but how do you make the thumbs? I crochet too, so if I had instructions or a video tutorial or something, that would be awesome!

I make socks on the blue loom...there is a wonderful youtube tutorial for those! :D