Menu

Princess Diaries books

dcjlkplus3

My dds (9 and 7) watched the Princess Diaries movies (1 and 2) this weekend for the first time and my younger dd (7) LOVED them and wants more. I know there are Princess Diary books by Meg Cabot, but I know nothing about them and how appropriate they are for a 7 year old. Looking at the library, they appear to be too long for her to read, but she wants to listen to them.

Do you have any experience with these books?

:bigear:

I pre-read them for the very same reason and I decided that they were not appropriate for my 9 year old. They talk about far more mature things and Mia in the books is far more worldly than her Disney counterpart.

The older Mia gets in the books, the more choices she makes that I would not deem appropriate.

At the very least, pre-read them before allowing your girls to read them.

My dds (9 and 7) watched the Princess Diaries movies (1 and 2) this weekend for the first time and my younger dd (7) LOVED them and wants more. I know there are Princess Diary books by Meg Cabot, but I know nothing about them and how appropriate they are for a 7 year old. Looking at the library, they appear to be too long for her to read, but she wants to listen to them.

I'd opt to wait as well. I think the books are cute, but they're definitely more of a "teen" read, imho. The movies are darling, though. :)

Also wait on Meg Cabot's other series... I think it's called "All American Girl." The first book is okay, but the 2nd book is 90% about whether or not she and her boyfriend should do the deed, or not (they do). So. I just recently preread the first one for my 12yo and thought it was okay - but went ahead and read the 2nd in the series (I often don't do that! eek!) - and... no way.

Your girls might like Ella Enchanted. Also starring Anne Hathaway (love her!) and the book is really cute. My girls & I listened to the audiobook a couple of years ago. :D

They're NOT for littles. She's 14 or 15 in the book isn't she? I think they're more appropriate for that, and honestly - I like how her attempt at s*x with Michael before he leaves is handled. I thought it was very realistic on Mia's part (maybe because I had friends who did the same thing), and honorable on Michael's.

I'm pretty sure Common Sense also rates books: http://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews - they've reviewed one of the PD books and rate it as acceptable for 12+. I think that depends on your 12 year old and I know many of them are sheltered. The particular one that was reviewed involves talk about the prom, and I know several of Mia's friends had grand plans for losing their virginity on prom night (and all the stuff they'd require of boys for the night in order to have sex, like rooms in certain hotels, and special food or whatever) that screamed young teen - the idea that the accouterments were more important than the act. But it's still very much a discussion about premarital sex.

I listened to the audiobooks as an adult because I like fluff while I'm doing household stuff - then it doesn't matter if I miss something.

I agree with the other posters - definitely not good for this age (and I'm not prudish by any means).

There are tons of other great princess books in the kids section... the E.D. Baker books, Gail Carson Levine, Shannon Hale (Princess Academy)... all much more age appropriate.

Thank you all so much for your responses. We will definately not be reading them at our house (at least not for many years yet:tongue_smilie:).

They have many other options for what to read, she just wanted more of the movies (which I can understand), but she will be just fine with hearing "no" on this one.:001_smile: