Menu

S/O Fast food meal thread

This isn't really about banning fast food but I wanted to ask about the future of fast food in general. It just seems that people (or at least a segment of the population) are moving towards healthier food choices and that people in general are becoming more aware of healthier food. How far do you think we will move? Will things change significantly because of changes in market demand and/or increased regulation or will our supermarkets stay basically the same as they are now with maybe a few more organic and healthy choices amid all the junk food? If you think there will be significant changes what will that look like?

What will the McDonalds menu look like 10 years from now?

I think there will always be people who can afford and want to eat fast food. But, I do think that we may see some municipalities have fewer fast food joints unless the economy recovers soon. Fast food is a convenience and people have to have extra disposable income in order to purchase it. I know individuals who eat very unhealthy diets and would be quite happy to feed their kids McD several times per week, but they just can't afford to do so.

I predict they will still be around 10 years from now but that maybe some of the smaller towns will see their McD or other fast food close due to economics.

Faith

I'm not sure that the bulk of our population can afford healthier foods, which will also be a lot more expensive.

And I'm not sure our federal government is willing to overhaul farm subsidies, etc. in order to allow farmers as a whole to switch back to a mode of agriculture that is closer to nature and healthier....

The mega-production of beef, pork, poultry, milk, and eggs are entrenched now. The huge amounts of surplus corn we produce have to be used somehow. Thanks to introduction of GMO's, lots of countries won't take our corn now, so we have to find a way to use it here.

I'd love to see CAFO's and other such demons evaporate, but I'm not putting in bets on it happening....

This isn't really about banning fast food but I wanted to ask about the future of fast food in general. It just seems that people (or at least a segment of the population) are moving towards healthier food choices and that people in general are becoming more aware of healthier food. How far do you think we will move? Will things change significantly because of changes in market demand and/or increased regulation or will our supermarkets stay basically the same as they are now with maybe a few more organic and healthy choices amid all the junk food? If you think there will be significant changes what will that look like?

I don't know...I can't say I've seen much of a move towards healthier foods. I don't eat anything processed (because I'm allergic to corn, which is in just about everything), and people act like that's the craziest thing they've ever heard. People don't seem to read labels or think about all the additives they're ingesting.

Most people I know my age (late twenties) don't know how to cook anything that doesn't come out of a box with instructions on it. At all. Seriously. Moving from that level to a whole-foods type diet is an enormous leap. I don't think many people will be motivated to learn the skills, especially in this day and age where people are so busy busy busy all the time.

And where there is a move towards healthier, it will probably be in upper-income people, who can afford it. I know my grocery bill can be a real budget killer, and I'm careful with how I shop. But crap is cheaper a lot of the time!

I also have noted some people trying to make healthier choices, but in a sort of counter-intuitive way. If you buy organic junk food, it's still junk food! Maybe a little healthier than your classic junk, but you'd still be better off eating...you know...ACTUAL FOOD. :tongue_smilie:

Same thing with supplements. Some can be good or necessary in some circumstances, but some people seem to think if they have the right vitamins, herbs or whatever they're living the healthy life, but they still have all their terrible eating habits and no intention of changing them. Like my MIL...she has a cupboard full of vitamins, minerals and herbal stuff that she takes religiously every morning before commencing her day of chain-smoking, drinking 3-4 pots of coffee, and eating mostly cookies and candy. :confused:

More resturants offer healthy choices, many even focusing on a menu with mutliple healthy choices. Chipotle, Panera, Chick-fila, Subway all offer good healthy choices. I'm certain, as more and more people become aware and concerned with their own and their family's health, the market will competitively respond.

Many food manufacturers have made real efforts to make their products healthier. Campbells has significantly reduced the salt content of their soups. Lay's now produces baked potato chips. While these changes may not satisfy the food nazis, they are positive steps in the right direction taken voluntarily in response to customer demands. I'm sure as customers demand more there will be a producer only too willing to satisfy those needs. For some folks these changes aren't coming fast enough, but there is something a little bit totalitarian about wanting to control the food choices of other people.

I'm not sure about your complaint about grocery stores. All the stores in my area (Kings, Wegmans, Shop Rite) have huge areas with healthy selections including organically grown fruit and veggies and dairy.

I think 10 years from now folks will have even more healthy and convenient options. I'm looking forward to it.

I think that fast food has ingrained itself into our society too much to let it go. There is too much money to be had. However, I do think there will be more 'healthy' alternatives available at places like McD's.

Look - even Wendy's just changed it's french fry recipe to include the skin on thinner fries and use sea salt to salt them. That makes them healthier, right? I think this will be the next wave in fast food. Don't know how long that will last, but it will make them look like they're trying to appease to a healthier market.

No one knows how to cook anymore. Much less measure or (God forbid) clean anything. So how can fast food disappear?

Even grocery stores sell things like sliced, cleaned up sweet potatoes for $3 a package, or a $7 tub of watermelon cubes. Someone must buy these things. Just not me.

Not to mention there are people with limited cooking facilities.

I don't know...I can't say I've seen much of a move towards healthier foods. I don't eat anything processed (because I'm allergic to corn, which is in just about everything), and people act like that's the craziest thing they've ever heard. People don't seem to read labels or think about all the additives they're ingesting.

Most people I know my age (late twenties) don't know how to cook anything that doesn't come out of a box with instructions on it. At all. Seriously. Moving from that level to a whole-foods type diet is an enormous leap. I don't think many people will be motivated to learn the skills, especially in this day and age where people are so busy busy busy all the time.

And where there is a move towards healthier, it will probably be in upper-income people, who can afford it. I know my grocery bill can be a real budget killer, and I'm careful with how I shop. But crap is cheaper a lot of the time!

I also have noted some people trying to make healthier choices, but in a sort of counter-intuitive way. If you buy organic junk food, it's still junk food! Maybe a little healthier than your classic junk, but you'd still be better off eating...you know...ACTUAL FOOD. :tongue_smilie:

Same thing with supplements. Some can be good or necessary in some circumstances, but some people seem to think if they have the right vitamins, herbs or whatever they're living the healthy life, but they still have all their terrible eating habits and no intention of changing them. Like my MIL...she has a cupboard full of vitamins, minerals and herbal stuff that she takes religiously every morning before commencing her day of chain-smoking, drinking 3-4 pots of coffee, and eating mostly cookies and candy. :confused:

My dd30 could have written this (except that the poster says she is in her late 20s). But I must say that she is right on target. 'Organic' does not mean 'sugar-free' -- organic 'cookies' are STILL cookies!

My dd and her dh spend a huge amount of money on their food -- dd is chronically ill and eats the cleanest diet imaginable -- it is prohibitively expensive. Everything from food to supplements (b/c alot of the cr*p on the shelves at CVS is just that: cr*p) is top quality and costs $$$$$$.

Just to illustrate: two years ago, we were having Thanksgiving Dinner at a friend's home. DD and her husband were going to join us there so I offered to make their Thanksgiving meal and bring it with us. EVERYTHING I prepared for them was 'whole.' I prepared for four - six adults so that she and her dh would have leftovers. I spent FOUR TIMES what my friend spent - and my friend cooked for 12. And, THAT is why there is a rise in Type II Diabetes, obesity and other health issues in this country, b/c it is very expensive to eat in a healthy fashion.........and, also, probably WAY TOO MUCH WORK for most people.

Edited by MariannNOVA

Yes, but most organics do not contain HFCS, and I believe that type of sugar is what's significantly contributing to the rise in diabetes in this country. I think it acts differently within our systems than other types of sugars, plus, it's in absolutely everything - every condiment, every sauce, every pre-packaged item of every sort just about - not just in dessert items....

Yes, organic "junk" food is still not the best thing for you, but it's a heck of a lot better than most non-organic stuff out there....

I'm not sure about your complaint about grocery stores. All the stores in my area (Kings, Wegmans, Shop Rite) have huge areas with healthy selections including organically grown fruit and veggies and dairy.

I wish we had those stores, then! Around here, the only grocery stores are Piggly Wiggly and Food Lion. There is only 1 Food Lion with a very small organic/health food section (I'm talking three 1/4 length aisles) within 30 miles of my house. And even then, it's only boxed, jarred, or canned organic food sharing the space with the natural shampoos, soaps, and toothpaste. They do carry 2 brands of organic milk and eggs in the regular dairy section, though. The only place I can occaisionally find organic produce is Wal-Mart, and that is even limited to potatoes, bananas, and carrots.

My dd30 could have written this (except that the poster says she is in her late 20s). But I must say that she is right on target. 'Organic' does not mean 'sugar-free' -- organic 'cookies' are STILL cookies!

My dd and her dh spend a huge amount of money on their food -- dd is chronically ill and eats the cleanest diet imaginable -- it is prohibitively expensive. Everything from food to supplements (b/c alot of the cr*p on the shelves at CVS is just that: cr*p) is top quality and costs $$$$$$.

Just to illustrate: two years ago, we were having Thanksgiving Dinner at a friend's home. DD and her husband were going to join us there so I offered to make their Thanksgiving meal and bring it with us. EVERYTHING I prepared for them was 'whole.' I prepared for four - six adults so that she and her dh would have leftovers. I spent FOUR TIMES what my friend spent - and my friend cooked for 12. And, THAT is why there is a rise in Type II Diabetes, obesity and other health issues in this country, b/c it is very expensive to eat in a healthy fashion.........and, also, probably WAY TOO MUCH for most people.

Exactly! It's expensive and extremely time-consuming. If I hadn't gotten so incredibly sick prior to finally getting my allergies diagnosed, I doubt I would have been able to motivate myself to change a lifetime's habits. It was so worth doing, though. I find myself constantly wondering how many of the chronic issues people experience are diet-related. Food is scary these days!

It never ceases to amaze me that people just don't cook. And I know what you're talking about. I see it. You would think with 24/7 foodtv people would know how to peel a carrot.

THAT SAID, people have no time, and what time they do have, they don't want to be peeling carrots, and they pick up the chopped, peeled bags.

I spent FOUR TIMES what my friend spent - and my friend cooked for 12. And, THAT is why there is a rise in Type II Diabetes, obesity and other health issues in this country, b/c it is very expensive to eat in a healthy fashion.........and, also, probably WAY TOO MUCH for most people.

Amen. And, that is a sin imho.

Yes, but most organics do not contain HFCS, and I believe that type of sugar is what's significantly contributing to the rise in diabetes in this country. I think it acts differently within our systems than other types of sugars, plus, it's in absolutely everything - every condiment, every sauce, every pre-packaged item of every sort just about - not just in dessert items....

Yes, organic "junk" food is still not the best thing for you, but it's a heck of a lot better than most non-organic stuff out there....

Avoiding HFCS is a big step in the right direction...but it still seems bizarre to pay a small fortune for a package of organic chocolate chip cookies in the interest of 'healthier eating'. They're still bad for you, and you'd still be better off eating something with some sort of nutritional value.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Eating healthy is much cheaper if you only buy what you need for meals. It only adds up when you try to buy healthy foods and convenience foods together.

Weekly Bills:

Produce co-op breaks down to $20 a week

Milk $15

Meat breaks down to $25 a week

Pantry essentials are about $10 a week (this includes: wheat, sucanat, yeast, butter, and other baking supplies)

I spend on average $70 a week. I only buy organic and free-range where applicable. I also make everything from scratch, so it is more time consuming.

I do not shop in grocery stores unless I am having a really bad week.

Guest mrsjamiesouth
It never ceases to amaze me that people just don't cook. And I know what you're talking about. I see it. You would think with 24/7 foodtv people would know how to peel a carrot.

THAT SAID, people have no time, and what time they do have, they don't want to be peeling carrots, and they pick up the chopped, peeled bags.

Amen. And, that is a sin imho.

I have learned to multi-task and actually enjoy the time it takes to cook. I can read my Kindle and peel carrots. :001_smile: I can teach the kids to peel carrots and enjoy quality time in the kitchen too.

My family never taught any of us to cook, and I think that was an unfortunate experience for a LOT of people my age. What baffles me is that most of those people also seem to think they really can't LEARN to cook. That's it's not even a reasonable possibility. I had a friend tell me there was no way she could bake a cake from scratch, so she was just going to use a mix. I pointed out that when you make a cake from a box, you still have to add the eggs, oil, and water. The only real difference to making one yourself from a recipe (other than avoiding a bajillion additives) is pouring your own dry ingredients together. She had NO IDEA that that was the case. :confused:

I want to start a support group or something. "You are intelligent adults who run your own lives and businesses! You are literate and possess problem solving skills! YOU CAN COOK!" :lol:

But it's true, no one has the time. I'm thankful to be in a situation where - even if it doesn't feel like I have any time either, lol - I at least get to be at home and can make food as we go about our day.

Eating healthy is much cheaper if you only buy what you need for meals. It only adds up when you try to buy healthy foods and convenience foods together.

Weekly Bills:

Milk $15

Pantry essentials are about $10 a week (this includes: wheat, sucanat, yeast, butter, and other baking supplies)

I spend on average $70 a week. I only buy organic and free-range where applicable. I also make everything from scratch, so it is more time consuming.

Prices are regional. And Georgia is subsidized by higher taxed states. My gallon of organic milk is 6 bucks. I don't buy organic milk because I buy 8 gallons of milk a week (2.7 at costco, 3.5 at the grocery). I do buy hormone free. A 5 pound bag of organic carrots here is 7 dollars. A dozen free range eggs is 4-5. Unbleached store brand flour is 2.50, sugar is 3.50, a small jar of yeast is 6 (I buy the huge bag at costco for about 9).

It's all about location.

Edited by justamouse

Weekly Bills:

Milk $15

I do not shop in grocery stores unless I am having a really bad week.[/QUOTE]

If you don't shop in grocery stores.... where do you get your meat & pantry essentials? I would really like to know.

Weekly Bills:

Milk $15

I think this depends on the cost of living in your area, how many people you're feeding, and various other things. I'm extremely frugal and make just about everything from scratch (no convenience foods at all), but I could NEVER feed my family in a healthy fashion for that much.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

If you don't shop in grocery stores.... where do you get your meat & pantry essentials? I would really like to know.

I buy meat from a meat market, but I also just found out about a local farmer who sells it for a great price.

You could check out Springer Mountain for Chicken, they deliver but they are pricier than I like.

Google your local area for a butcher or meat market and find out if they sell organic, free-range meats.

I buy produce from a co-op. We have to buy in bulk to get good deals and we split the cost and produce.

http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

The site above may help you find local things.

I cannot eat perservatives, and neither can 2 of my children. We origanally thought it was gluten, but it is all the chemicals and food dyes. So, I don't buy anything processed anymore. It was a long, slow process for us but I am finally free of the supermarket.

I buy wheat from a co-op too. I pick it up at a local amish store. It is 50 pounds of organic wheat for $34.

http://www.wheatmontana.com/dealer.php

You can buy it a little cheaper at the above store but once you factor in shipping it is better to find a local dealer.

The amish store also sells butter.

I buy milk from another local farmer, they are the one's I just discovered that sells beef and pork also.

Yet another farm sells eggs, pecans and some different veges/fruits that covers what I may not have gotten in my co-op.

I have a few friends who like to eat the same way and we take turns picking stuff up, so we are not always running around the country.

The milk and meat is a 1 hour trip, I take turns with 2 other friends and we only go every 2 weeks. I end up making the trip every 6 weeks.

The amish store where I get a few baking supplies, wheat and butter is about 40 minutes away. I go there only once a month.

The 3rd farm is 30 minutes away and I go once a month too.

The Amish store and 3rd farm are only 5 minutes away taking back roads from each other, so I hit those the same day.

The milk and meat is in the opposite direction so I save that for a different day when it is my turn.

The downside is all the time spent cooking and you only eat what is in season.

Also, look for www.locallygrown.net

I think the healthy eating trend is on this board and probably others like it. It certainly hasn't taken over the mainstream. Whenever I'm in the grocery store people are still mostly buying the same old stuff (white bread, etc). Potato chips are manufactured in this area. Every year they know the routine. Right after New Year's demand drops due to everyone deciding they will "eat healthy." By the time football playoffs and the Super Bowl hit, demand is right back where it was before.

As for fast food? We eat their fairly often (at least once a week, sometimes more). It's not that I can't cook. I simply REALLY dislike cooking, but don't have the funds for a personal chef. In this economy more expensive restaurants are those in trouble. People can't afford them anymore, so are switching to fast food. New fast food places are being built even in this economy in our area. Sit down places are struggling or closing. Pizza buffets are doing well too. And people aren't sitting around in these places eating salads for the most part.

Some people may have changed to eat healthier, but I sure don't think the masses have. We eat healthily for our area, but not generally so according to this board. We're one of the few that buys whole wheat bread, etc (I can't stand the white stuff), but our grocery store usually only stocks a dozen loaves - if that - with shelves and shelves of the white stuff.

More resturants offer healthy choices, many even focusing on a menu with mutliple healthy choices. Chipotle, Panera, Chick-fila, Subway all offer good healthy choices. I'm certain, as more and more people become aware and concerned with their own and their family's health, the market will competitively respond.

Many food manufacturers have made real efforts to make their products healthier. Campbells has significantly reduced the salt content of their soups. Lay's now produces baked potato chips. While these changes may not satisfy the food nazis, they are positive steps in the right direction taken voluntarily in response to customer demands. I'm sure as customers demand more there will be a producer only too willing to satisfy those needs. For some folks these changes aren't coming fast enough, but there is something a little bit totalitarian about wanting to control the food choices of other people.

I think 10 years from now folks will have even more healthy and convenient options. I'm looking forward to it.

:iagree:

In the past 10-20 years even the fast food places have started offering somewhat healthier options. You can order apples instead of french fries, they offer more salad options with low-fat, natural salad dressings.

It's probably a good thing that we are close to grocery stores like Kings (what's closest for me) and Shop Rite (where I shop most often - King's is a little pricey) that offer a lot of organic, healthy selections since there aren't a lot of farm co-ops in Northern NJ and our growing season isn't that long.