Menu

I went searching the board for this and read what I could find. But still, I'm left with the question, is it complete enough? I like the looks of it and I'm thinking of getting the Algebra for my dd. I have Lial's but I think this would be fun for her. I could always supplement with what I have. I was also thinking of the pre-algebra for my ds11.

Before I sink money into this curriculum I want to try and find out if it's worth it. I hate to say it, but I am critical of stuff made for homeschoolers, especially math stuff. My dd could be excellent in math, she just needs motivation. I don't want to short change her with a program that is not enough. My son is very good with math. He is 2 grades ahead. I want something he can work with and enjoy, and ensures he gets the concepts down.

We've been using R&S, and my oldest used Lial's for Algebra and BJ for Geometry. She is not good at math, and we are constantly struggling with it.

Anyway, I'm looking for honest feedback about this program. Anyone have a good analysis of it?

Life of Fred is a very strong and complete program. It's great for homeschoolers, but it's not necessarily aimed just at homeschoolers, and it's written by a retired HS and college math teacher (not a homeschool dad). The scope and sequence for each book (beginning with Algebra) cover everything you'd get in a standard text, and sometimes more.

The issue that determines whether you can use it as a stand-alone curriculum or need to supplement it has less to do with the scope & sequence than whether your child actually "gets" the way LoF teaches. For kids who get it, nothing else is needed. Other kids may need more explicit explanations or more practice problems or more review, in which case it might need to be supplemented.

I certainly wouldn't buy the entire set of books sight unseen, but it's not very expensive to just buy one book and have your dc try it out.

Jackie

I completely agree with Jackie.

We used LoF Algebra 1 in 7th grade. It presented everything that would be in a typical Algebra 1 course and the problems were challenging. OTOH, it did not fit my ds's learning style well and there was not enough practice for him either. You may read my review in this thread.

Overall, I thought it was a great program for the right student.

I ordered the fractions and decimal and percents books, as well as the 2 pre-algebra books. I believe my ds11 will do well with these, so even if my dd12 does not, I can use them with him.

The decision now, do I stop her current pre-algebra and just jump into these? I think I'll decide when I get the books.

Thanks for everyones input. I read the older threads as well, and they helped. I love these boards! I learn a lot from them.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I ordered the fractions and decimal and percents books, as well as the 2 pre-algebra books. I believe my ds11 will do well with these, so even if my dd12 does not, I can use them with him.

The decision now, do I stop her current pre-algebra and just jump into these? I think I'll decide when I get the books.

Thanks for everyones input. I read the older threads as well, and they helped. I love these boards! I learn a lot from them.

I think it depends on how LOF fits her learning style and whether you plan on using LOF exclusively or as a supplement. I think it works wonderfully for either depending on the child's learning style.

I'd do both, because that's what I've done with LOF so far. My dc love it, and even my eldest, who had already insisted I buy an old Dolciani Algebra 2 before we were intersted in LOF, thinks it's good. She still uses LOF if she doesn't understand something in another text (which isn't often, but happens if it's been presented awkwardly.)

As for learning styles, it suits my two dd's very well, but not so much my ds although he likes it a lot. When we get back to it it will be as a supplement that I will read with him. He loves science, so I plan to get both of the pre Algebra books that are out.

I agree. It's an excellent text (actually it's more complete than many textbooks I've seen), but it's aimed at a particular learning style. It's one that you either love or...don't. ;) For my son, it's just the thing - he'll likely use it all the way through. One of his friends though, while it gave her a good basis in the level of math she was taking, didn't respond well to the teaching style, so she didn't continue with it.

I'd say to go ahead and try it, and see how your kids respond to it. That's kind of the true test with LoF!

But yes, instruction-wise, it's very strong. No worries there :)

My son is the type of student that does well with LOF. So far we've been through all the books from fractions to now working in beginning algebra (except pre-algebra 2).

He tends to see patterns very quickly and it would be overkill to require a large number of problems in a set.

We are supplementing with a couple chapters from a Dolciani book this year and videos from Khan Academy. I also have additional math texts all the way to pre-calc which I may work into the co-ordinating years of LOF.

The only extra I'm planning is having ds make flashcards with formulas and other important notes. It is harder than a traditional text to look back in locate those in a hurry.