Menu

Magazine Subscriptions for Christmas: Need Suggestions

I would like to get some magazine for my girls for Christmas (as a gift that keeps giving) since this is not something we normally do. I would love some suggestions for magazines. I will tell you more about them in no particular order.

On a side note, I thought that a stationary set would be a nice gift, but most don't include postage so I would add some pretty stamps to the set. That would encourage writing. Do you have any other ideas like this?

DD16: Loves Sewing, Writing, Music (piano player) Modest Fashion, History, Drawing, Acting

DD13: Loves Baking, Homemaking, Singing, Modest Fashion

DD10: Loves Fashion Design, Drawing, Plays with Barbies

DD7: Loves Animals, Fashion Design, Dressing up.

There's a girls' fashion magazine called Kiki that I'll get for mine in another year or two. See if your library has one you can look through, but the two issues I've seen have been pretty modest. It has stories about working designers, upcoming trends, and pages for girls to draw their own ideas. My 8yo is a little young for it, but it would be perfect for 10-16.

The Cricket brand of magazines has some good choices for various ages too. Right now we're getting Appleseeds and Ask (history and art/science), and dd's love them both, and swap issues after the original recipient has had a turn.

My 8yo also likes the American Girl magazine. It has a lot of decorating & craft ideas, some fashion, and some stories & cartoons.

We weren't thrilled with National Geographic Kids (too much advertising and consumerism), and it can be hard to find girls' magazines that aren't all about makeup and boys, even for the younger ages. :glare:

My dd 12 loves Reminisce which is filled with old timey photos, comics and stories. I bought it for myself but she gets it first and keeps them in her room!

There is a new magazine called Discovery Girls which she wants but its TOO much about self esteem. (IMHO)

American Girl is pretty good. It has recipes and crafts. Cobblestone is an excellent History mag which we all like but its $$$.

I'm going to look at Justine and Kiki, too, now.

My 15 yo dd is receiving Susie magazine, a Christian based magazine. Barnes and Noble carries it, so you might check it out before you order it. It is not appropriate for my younger daughter and I don't think it would be appropriate for a 13 yo, either, but you might think differently. My 11 yo dd and 9 yo son enjoys Kids Discover, a monthly mag that covers one non-fiction topic a month.

I *really* like the looks of Kiki and Justine for my 10 yo who loves fashion (her favorite DS game is Style Savvy). Just so that I am not surprised, are either of these specifically Christian-based and themed or are they secular?

ETA: On looking further, Justine may be a bit more mature than we are quite ready for, based on the book club selections, but Kiki is definitely in the running. She already receives and loves American Girl magazine.

Edited by KarenNC

http://www.cobblestonepub.com/index.html for the cricket mags--Calliope, Odyssey, etc. These are secular. Calliope is history.

Kiki & Justine appear to be secular based on what I saw of their websites & their about sections. I've saved the Susie page which I googled as someone said it was Christian (it is.) Suse isn't the type of magazine we usually get, but now that my eldest is in ps, I may get it for her.

I *really* like the looks of Kiki and Justine for my 10 yo who loves fashion (her favorite DS game is Style Savvy). Just so that I am not surprised, are either of these specifically Christian-based and themed or are they secular?

Kiki is secular, no idea about Justine.