Menu

Election Question - When all the votes haven't been counted

If someone in a fairly close race concedes the race before all the votes have been counted because the other person has been deemed to have a big enough lead to have "won", what would happen if the "loser" turned out to have won after all? Would the concession be binding? Or would the other person then concede to them? (I've been wondering this for the last couple of elections and just now thought to ask.)

I'm guessing a concession is binding...Sure as heck, if there was a way for it not to be, a politician would have rescinded if need be.

I'm guessing that concessions only happen when their butt's kicked too badly to recover with the remaining # of polling stations/projected votes to be counted.

As far as I know, concessions are not binding. (I'm pulling this out of my butt...). Only the final "seal" by the state's certifying official (Sec State) is.

But look! Connecticut just found a whole bag of ballots after the Sec state "announced" a winner from her own party. Even though all the existing ballots hadn't been counted. And she had yet to certify the vote.

This entire election cycle has been dirty.

JMO

As far as I know, concessions are not binding. (I'm pulling this out of my butt...). Only the final "seal" by the state's certifying official (Sec State) is.

But look! Connecticut just found a whole bag of ballots after the Sec state "announced" a winner from her own party. Even though all the existing ballots hadn't been counted. And she had yet to certify the vote.

This entire election cycle has been dirty.

JMO

It isn't just this cycle that has been dirty. As an adult, I am shocked that every vote actually isn't counted in America and that people are ok with that. It seems they are using statistical models to assume that even in tight races that absentee and provisional ballots don't need to be checked. :thumbdown:

If someone in a fairly close race concedes the race before all the votes have been counted because the other person has been deemed to have a big enough lead to have "won", what would happen if the "loser" turned out to have won after all? Would the concession be binding? Or would the other person then concede to them? (I've been wondering this for the last couple of elections and just now thought to ask.)

Concession speeches are not binding. Someone can concede and unconcede as much as they want, though it's not very nice. The certified election results are what matters.

Several years ago, one of our congressmen conceded before we went to bed. The next morning everyone (including him) was surprised when he was declared victorious :001_smile:. He's an upstanding guy, and was trying to do the proper thing by conceding. He's since won his re-election bids by pretty huge margins.

ETA: A quick google produced this link :).

I'm guessing a concession is binding...Sure as heck, if there was a way for it not to be, a politician would have rescinded if need be.

I'm guessing that concessions only happen when their butt's kicked too badly to recover with the remaining # of polling stations/projected votes to be counted.

I've seen concessions rescinded. Concessions have nothing to do with who is elected and everything to do with good etiquette. They don't stop counting ballots because the guy conceded.