Menu

What are your favorite Thanksgiving resources?

Kidlit

We are currently working through SOTW 1, but I was thinking about taking a little break in history and doing a Thanksgiving unit. I've poked about on the 'net to see if I could find anything already pre-planned, but so far I've turned up nothing that looks fantastic. What we really like to do is simple--read good books, discuss, and then my first grader does some basic narration. Oh, good art activities are also a plus!

What are your favorite resources for Thanksgiving? Links are appreciated!

Actually there are lots of neat things online. I used some of them in my lesson plans this past unit on Plymouth Colony. The last lesson is Thanksgiving specific but look through the proceeding too because I used some videos and materials that I think work well for Thanksgiving in those too. I included some books too. If you wanted to spend a little time I think it's worth it to explore Wamapnoag culture (we did a unit on that), the Mayflower, Pilgrim life, Plymouth Colony, etc. We had a really nice time with these units.

Actually there are lots of neat things online. I used some of them in my lesson plans this past unit on Plymouth Colony. The last lesson is Thanksgiving specific but look through the proceeding too because I used some videos and materials that I think work well for Thanksgiving in those too. I included some books too. If you wanted to spend a little time I think it's worth it to explore Wamapnoag culture (we did a unit on that), the Mayflower, Pilgrim life, Plymouth Colony, etc. We had a really nice time with these units.

I just had to re-comment with a great big thanks to you, sbgrace, for the link to your blog. This is a treasure-trove of links. I will definitely be using this as I plan our Thanksgiving! :D

Thanks! Great resource.

I still love the books Sarah Morton's Day and Samuel Eaton's Day. For our poetry study we're doing The New England Boy's Song About Thanksgiving Day. http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/20497

Here's some more library books for Thanksgiving:

Mousekin's Thanksgiving by Miller, Edna

1621: a new look at Thanksgiving by Grace, Catherine O'Neill

Cranberry Thanksgiving by Devlin, Wende

Cranberries by Jaspersohn, William

Squanto's journey: the story of the first Thanksgiving by Bruchac, Joseph

Thanksgiving with me by Willey, Margaret

The Thanksgiving door by Atwell, Debby.

The Thanksgiving story by Dalgliesh, Alice

Squanto and the first Thanksgiving by Kessel, Joyce K

The Pilgrims' first Thanksgiving by McGovern, Ann

Daily life in the Pilgrim colony, 1636 by Erickson, Paul

Harvest song by Hirschi, Ron

Thanks for Thanksgiving by Markes, Julie

Thanksgiving is for giving thanks by Sutherland, Margaret

This first Thanksgiving Day : a counting story by Melmed, Laura Krauss

Happy Thanksgiving! : things to make and do by Conaway, Judith

Molly's pilgrim by Cohen, Barbara

The night before Thanksgiving by Wing, Natasha

Thanksgiving by Fabian-Baber

DVD: Plymouth Plantation (Schlessinger Media)

Last year I purchased a unit study and didn't complete it.. .good intentions but time was an issue and it was a little boring.

This year I have plans to just read a lot of Thanksgiving library books (in addition to what we own). I'm going to decorate my mantle with vine and make a "Thankful leaf garland" (cutting out leaves, having kids write what they're thankful for on the leaves) and attach to vine with gold clothespins. AKA just another excuse for Mom to find another house craft;).

The answer lies with the question. What do you want your DC to know/learn about Thanksgiving? Personally, I'm not so concerned about the pilgrims, Mayflower, etc as the reason we celebrate Thanksgiving and more recent traditions.

SO, we visit a local assisted living facility, and each child interviews 3 ladies/gentlemen about their memories of Thanksgiving when they were a child, an adult with children, and traditions (food, art projects, etc).

We use a MP3 recorder, and camera to take a photo (child and lady/gentleman).

Then my DC each make a simple report with the photo and send/take these to the person interviewed.

Each DC makes a summary report of what Thanksgiving was like, what it meant, how it changed, traditions and looks for similarities among the people interviewed. We can also link these to history. For instance, if their childhood memories were from early 1940's, what was happening that might have explained why they didn't have sugar for pumpkin pie?

We (DH, DC, me) get together over a preliminary Thanksgiving meal (KC Chicken) and talk about what all the elderly said. DH and I pull what we remember from our childhoods and how it's different from now. (Canned gravy and vac-packed mashed potatoes weren't common 30 years ago.)

To me, this helps my DC understand that Thanksgiving is about families and being thankful for times we share, foods we share. The DC have also started what they think should be OUR family traditions: handprint turkey placemats and nametags, kid jello surprise (can't wait for this year's).

Thank you!! I'm stealing your ideas!!

Did you find a candle recipe or project?

Tomorrow, Tues 16th there is going to be a live thirty minute webcast field trip to meet a Pilgrim and a Wampanoag—straight from Plimoth Plantation. It is free and sounds like it might be interesting.

The time is: Tuesday, November 16th at 1:00 ET (10AM Pacific)

Link: http://www.scholastic.com/scholastic_thanksgiving/letters_signup.asp

Here's some more links:

http://www.plimoth.org/education/olc/index_js2.html

http://www.scholastic.com/scholastic%5Fthanksgiving/voyage/

Tomorrow, Tues 16th there is going to be a live thirty minute webcast field trip to meet a Pilgrim and a Wampanoag—straight from Plimoth Plantation. It is free and sounds like it might be interesting.

The time is: Tuesday, November 16th at 1:00 ET (10AM Pacific)

Link: http://www.scholastic.com/scholastic_thanksgiving/letters_signup.asp

Here's some more links:

http://www.plimoth.org/education/olc/index_js2.html

http://www.scholastic.com/scholastic%5Fthanksgiving/voyage/

I registered for this earlier. I'm so excited!! I hope I remember tomorrow. Someone please post a reminder at 1 PM Eastern!!!

Thank you!! I'm stealing your ideas!!

Did you find a candle recipe or project?

I'm glad you'll be able to use them!

On the candle making--I found a file looking for ideas to use when we study the gold rush. I plan to use the candle making in a later unit so I've not done it yet but the candle making instructions were the easiest and cheapest I found. They are on page 22. http://macscouter.com/CubScouts/PowWow99/Oct99.pdf

Oh, someone shared an idea she added to the plans for the Mayflower "experience" this week. She told me she pulled clothes out of a closet and used that for her mid-deck and her daughter loved it.

When my children were younger I read "Stories of the Pilgrims" to them and they enjoyed it. It goes into a lot of detail that I have not found in other children's story books on Thanksgiving.

Here's a link to it.

http://www.christianbook.com/stories-of-the-pilgrims-second-edition/margaret-pumphrey/9781932971019/pd/971019?item_code=WW&netp_id=486004&event=ESRCN&view=details

I'm glad you'll be able to use them!

On the candle making--I found a file looking for ideas to use when we study the gold rush. I plan to use the candle making in a later unit so I've not done it yet but the candle making instructions were the easiest and cheapest I found. They are on page 22. http://macscouter.com/CubScouts/PowWow99/Oct99.pdf

Oh, someone shared an idea she added to the plans for the Mayflower "experience" this week. She told me she pulled clothes out of a closet and used that for her mid-deck and her daughter loved it.

Thank you!! :)

I added a list of our Thanksgiving resources to my blog. I loved the virtual field trip to Plimoth Plantation last week!!

Edited by Beth in SW WA
more info

Thanks sbgrace! I'll be printing like crazy!!