Menu

Thanksgiving books- PreK and 1st

bry's-gal

My kids really like the Jack Prelutsky collection It's Thanksgiving. It would probably be a perfect quick read for your older dd. The poems are funny... but it's Jack Prelutsky, so that goes without saying, I guess.

There are also a number of good picture books on the topic of Thanksgiving. I don't know them all. But the classic is clearly NC Wyeth's Pilgrims, a gorgeously illustrated book on the topic.

I plan to read the following with my pre-k children:

Thanksgiving Is - Gail Gibbons

The Very First Thanksgiving Day - Rhonda Gowler Greene

Over the River and Through the Woods - Lydia Maria Child

When the Frost is on the Punkin - James Whitcomb Riley

I will probably read the following (requested from library, not yet received):

Samuel Eaton's Day - Kate Waters

The Pilgrims' First Thanksgiving - Ann McGovern

Pilgrims of Plymouth - Susan Goodman

Harvest Time - Jennifer Waters

Cranberries - Inez Snyder

Three Young Pilgrims - Cheryl Harness

The Thanksgiving Door - Debby Atwell

I considered The Thanksgiving Story by Alice Dalgliesh. I decided it was too detailed for pre-k, but it might be good for k, 1st, or 2nd.

our favorites are:

Three Young Pilgrims by Cheryl Harness

all three Kate Waters books - On The Mayflower, Samuel Eaton's Day, Sarah Morton's Day

my 5yo and 3 yo love to act out the stories with the Little People Mayflower and various other "people" from our toy baskets!

My DS liked the 4 Kate Waters books (the fourth is called The 1621 Harvest Feast) but be forewarned I had to explain a lot of the vocabulary used.

He also really liked the Rhonda Greene book previously mentioned as well as Across the Wide Dark Sea: The Mayflower Journey by Jean Van Leeuwen, Squanto and the First Thanksgiving by Teresa Celsi (some kids may be able to independently read this one), and This First Thanksgiving Day: A Counting Story by Laura Krauss Melmed (another one that might be an independent read).