Menu

Update on house selling...please post what's been going on with yours

We put our home on the market four months ago, had 4 showings. Dropped the price $10K after first month, after 2 and a half months another 10K, after 3 mos. another 10K.

We've had two offers from the same people, the first was 50K less than our original price. Now it is only 5,ooo from our current asking price, which is so low, but we won't be losing more than 5000 in equity. The market is not as bad here as most other places, but market values are continuing to drop.

We wanted to move closer to work since dh sometimes has to run back to work (currently 20 miles away). We are in the boonies, but like it. Property taxes continue to climb. DH's pay is cut every quarter (not less and less each quarter, just same amount cut from current salary). Two of the kids are in college in the same city/town he works in. His schedule is all over the clock. We wish we could stay here.

We will probably bite on the offer, and struggle to find a place that will fit us all. I don't kick kids out, they're trying hard and are never (well, almost never) in trouble.:001_smile:

How"s it going for anyone else in the housing market on the board?

We've had ours on the market since June, and have dropped the price twice. It shows A LOT, but it is a very interesting house (cedar log). Everyone raves, but no one offers. Hubby is over there often continuing with improvements. We are putting in new carpet in the master to get some ahhhs. When I saw the dark carpet, I thought it was not good, but it was lovely in the dark, with no street lights, and the moon shining in the sky light. But, everyone wants light, so we are putting it in.

Not a lot of showings. We're a vacationer's market, and the house is unique. No negatives, but no offers. It's priced competitively and some things are finally moving off the market. Seems like around here, things need to "age" on the market at least 1/2 of a year before any offer comes in. I think we're approaching the 1/2 year mark, so maybe our turn will come?

It sits empty. We live a few blocks away.

Our house went into contract just after 60 days on the market. We are in a desirable Cleveland, OH suburb. However, we are not getting what we paid for it 6 years ago (7k less), have to pay some of the buyers' closing costs, fix some of what I think are really nit picky things and fix radon which wasn't an issue before. We put about $2,000 in it this summer to sell and updated the kitchen 2 years ago. DH is at a new job out of state. Our realtor keeps saying buyers are in control and do you want to loose a sale over $1 to 2K of repairs/updates. We also don't want to be 6 months to a year and not have sold. The new job is not paying for temp housing, just moving costs. So we feel fortunate at this point.

Our have been in the Market since July, lots of showings, no negative comments except people wish the house had an extra room/den. We've done fixing here and there just to keep it maintain. There is so much in the market though, so many choices for the buyer, and that's bad for us SELLERS.

Praying to St. Joseph;)

We could have sold the house, but we couldn't find anything to move to that would accomodate our family. We didn't care for the buyers' realtor's tactics; we wish it would have been a family that needs a large house, 2700 sf.

The first group was a man and woman getting married soon with her two teens. The second group was a couple. There are nine people living in this house right now. We took it too personally I guess, we let our contract expire, then the vultures descended on us, trying to negotiate.

We lowered the price too much which may have made it look like we were in dire circumstances. They offered way less than what was reasonable for us to sell, even upon negotiating. :confused:

We just wanted to get closer to work and college.

We only had 5 showings.

Edited by gingerh
additional info

Ours has been on market since the middle of September. We've had a good number of showings, but still dropped the price after 30 days to help things along. We've had good feedback but no offers. The market is still okay here, and the average days on the market is a little over 90 so we're still below average on that. We have to sell because dh got a great job in Charleston, but we can't afford 2 households. Until the house sells, the kids and I are here (Greenville, about 3 hours away) and dh comes home on the weekend. Thankfully, he's living with a friend for CHEAP so it's doable.

Ours has been listed since July, approved for short sale by our mortage co. Two offers, both sellers fell through. Realtor looking at comps to maybe lower price again. Things are awful here in Nevada...but our hope is in the Lord. We gotta get it sold so divorce can be finalized. I'm already in an apartment with the kids....still weeding things out from a four bedroom house. I wanna become a minimalist.....

My mother sold her house. She got basically what she expected (but less than she would have received if the market hadn't fallen).

Have you ever heard the story about the green house that was for sell? The most popular house color for selling a house is yellow. So after the people couldn't sell there house, they finally painted it yellow and it sold. The people bought the house and painted it green.

Well, my mom had the same experience. She had a big vegetable garden in the back that she thought would not help sell the house. So she had it seeded with grass. The people who bought the house said they were going to put in a big vegetable garden.

Just about 60 days on the market. We've aggressively been lowering the price. Before there were just a few showings. We might have hit our target price as this past weekend there were lots and lots of showings. My next door neighbor said that the house was busy all day on Saturday. No offers though!!

We bought for 220K and then remodeled the kitchen. Right now it's listed at 128K. Disgusting. Oh well. Now we just need it to be sold. We had renters in it but they moved out and decided it was time - we're not planning on moving back to that area.

Ours was listed for two years. Empty for most of that time. This summer we finally found someone to rent it. We had been trying to rent it for 6 months. The rent covers the mortage and now we don't have to pay the huge utility bills! So for the time being we're happy. Who knows perhaps the renters will want to buy.